Tutorial or Prompt Bugs

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Crux, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

After winning the third battle of Tomb of Tvericus, Gary says something, and before I can read it he says something else.

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Yeah, I think there may be some situations where Gary has old text still loaded up when the prompt appears, and then the game switches it over to the proper new text. But that's a guess.

Also:

The current story text when getting to Goblins in the Woods is funky. When the adventure is unlocked, we get all this lead-up about Karen becoming the GM and Gary being excited to play with her. But then the text inside the adventure has Gary opening the module, Karen asking to run it, and Gary agreeing, even though she supposedly was taking the lead a moment ago.

There is nothing else unlocked and so the player's experience will always flow straight between the two sections.

3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

4. Sir Knight

5. Sir Knight

In Attack of the War Monkeys, before (I think) the second battle, Gary gives Karen some sort of gift but we don't see what happens. We don't see Karen's response, even though Gary responds TO her response, and the conversation ends on that awkward moment for the entire remainder of the module.

Also, I think it's already been reported as a "game text bug," but the cover text for this module refers to "shirieks."

6. Ben_Lee

Ben_Lee Art Director, Chief Executive in charge of Laundry Staff Member

Edit-War monkey cover fixed for next release, fixed the typo causing weird message display during the Karen scene described. Thanks!

7. Sir Knight

Maybe not a "mistake," but my gaming history says it is: In Riddle of the Gnome Lords (second map, I think), Gary talks about Iron Holy Crosses and Silver Holy Crosses. In a D&D-like game, it's usually "Holy Symbols."

And before that, Gary talks about "killing Gnome Lords." Here, though, the module text says you're HIRED by a Gnome Lord. I supposed Gary could just be flailing for a quick response to his Mom, but still he's wrong.

8. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

The "riddle" appears to be: "The gnomes asked for my help, but when I arrived they attacked me." I haven't played Secret yet (probably do that tonight).

9. Sir Knight

They've revised this text at least once. I just recently played those two modules "for the first time" again, and the story I got was that some "Gnome Lord" person wanted you to investigate the terrible behavior of some OTHER gnomes. Check out Secret and see if that's the impression you get. The area could generally use revision.

10. Ben_Lee

I'll track that down, he should say "killing crazy gnomes" or "helping the Gnome Loreds" or something instead.

11. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Going through my screenshots, I see a reference to "the Gnome Lord's letter" ("lord" is curiously singular) in the pre-battle text for the first map of Riddle. And I see we get more news from the GLs when we return to the map. (It's a good thing I'm taking screenshots, since I'm obviously not reading it while playing.) And then the cover for Secret confuses things again. Is this the same gnome hall we cleared in Riddle? If it's a different one, why were the other gnomes affected before the Lords?

riddle gnome-t1.2.png

Before first battle of Riddle. And it should probably have a comma after "Mum" (did someone else already mention that?).

12. Ben_Lee

This is being worked on at the moment, and I have already changed that line. Thanks!

13. Rusty

Rusty Kobold

So after initial login today, I got my first character and fought the lvl 1 kobolds. Then this is how my rewards showed up. [​IMG]

14. Dwedit

Dwedit Goblin Champion

I'm getting the tutorial prompt to visit the costume shop a second time. It seems to be stuck there no matter how many times I visit it.

15. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

"Click a tab to chose a dwarven, human or elven warrior" Tutorial Prompt stays active after having recruited my first character - I can thus recruit more characters than one! It still says free after having recruited my first one (human). Might possibly bork up the game if I recruit 3 warriors, as that would likely mean my wizard and priest would cost gold. I could however press exit and this message goes away.

16. maurtheus

maurtheus Kobold

Same here !

17. Riallatar

Riallatar Kobold

I appear to be stuck after finishing White Skull Canyon. I got the XP and reward and was dumped back to the map. No new quests have unlocked and the tutorial doesn't seem to be continuing. Only got 2 of the 3 party members.

18. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Gary's explanation of victory squares occurs in Ruby Demon Portal. This is after he introduces the treasure hunt The Defense of Woodhome, which contains victory squares. This could be confusing to a new player and I'm a little surprised that the level 6 treasure hunt unlocks so early. Is this intentional?

19. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Are you playing the dungeons in order? I am, and I'm about to start Ruby Portal, and I don't have Woodhome visible yet (highest dungeon available is Shieldhaven).

EDIT: Defense unlocked for me when I completed Ruby Portal, which is also when my first party reached level 4 (I'm running two parties); Kobold Diamonds and Kyburz Market also showed up then. I had thought unlocks were based only on module completions, not party level, but I may be wrong on that.

Different tutorial bug:
    When the goblin Shaman (in Highway Robbery) played Unholy Frenzy, Gary says something about it being red and white, but you can't read it because it's immediately replaced by one saying:
    (And you should probably delete that "The".)

20. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

In which case maybe I encountered a bug. Obviously I can't tell if it's reproducible, but what I did was:
    • Play through all the level 1 adventures then
    • Caverns of the Troglodytes
    • The Wizard's Workshop
    • Lair of the Trog Wizard
    • Highway Robbery
    • (Maybe?) Dungeon of the Lizard Priest
    in that order. I didn't repeat any of the adventures nor recruit any more party members beyond the free ones. The Defense of Woodhome unlocked after Highway Robbery / Dungeon of the Lizard Priest was completed, along with Gary's introductory text about treasure hunts.

I have also experienced some dungeons "unlocking" twice. After completing an adventure the new dungeons appear as expected then I'm taken around the map again, centring on each newly-unlocked dungeon, at which point the "new dungeon appears" sound and the graphic sparkly effect are repeated. I never experienced this during beta.