[Suggestion] Don't paywall custom scenarios!

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by h0munkulus, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

We talked it over, and I'm going to remove the club requirement for custom scenarios. It is on my todo list. Thanks for the suggestion and the discussion everyone!

2. funny

funny Mushroom Warrior

One of the reasons that make this game awesome: Direct feedback from the developers, and developers that listen to the community. Note that "listen" does not mean "agree" or "follow orders" :p
    I am really looking forward to playing custom scenarios and, being satisfied by this free option, will spend more money on the game.

Farbs likes this.
  3. Moldar

Moldar Kobold

Haven't posted a ton, but I have to say that this is great news! I have bought a little pizza, and the main reasons are that the devs are responsive, and this is very much a game that I would love to see flourish. I already have 2 alternate parties that I let my kids use to go through the single-player campaign boards.

Have you considered doing a live-chat with players at this stage to get more ideas/feedback/etc?

Farbs likes this.
  4. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

We used to hang out in the game lobby a lot, back when we were struggling to build a multiplayer critical mass. I'll try to remember to do that more often.

5. h0munkulus

h0munkulus Kobold

This is fantastic news!

Thank you and all the best for a hopefully soon and successful launch.

6. clos4life

clos4life Kobold

I think one time purchase would be great. Also, unlocking features for custom scenarios with treasure hunts would work too but it would lead to the problem of having to come up with more and more features that could be included with future treasure hunt adventures.

Personally, I think those 2 choices are best. And make sure the custom scenarios don't give out loot. As long as you do that you should have no problem making people buy your adventures. I know I will.

7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

This is excellent news Farbs, what money you lose out on with this could easily be regained with interesting dodads and stuff as one time buy content for map creators and making people happy always makes them more happy to spend anyway so hopefully everyone wins.
    Those where the good old days when you could get a chance to pick your brains for a good while thanks again for that!

8. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

I agree with some of the sentiment showing up early on page 1. Allow all players to use custom maps. To monetize thing for you guys, only allow some very basic tiles and scenery to be used in the editor for free.

Fancy things you have to purchase to put in some way will be lure enough for people to spend quite a bundle of cash. Charge the designer of the custom map though, not the player IMO. People wanting to have THEIR map be the most awesome one out there will drive sales quite nicely enough.

I haven't looked at the custom maps yet, but allow people to set themselves up as GMs in every fashion. Insert custom text just like we see in the storyline (selling custom avatars is another cash inflow), and allow them to specify how many human players are in the map at once, and how many heroes each can bring with them. This will lead some fragmented (by moving away and whatnot) pen & paper roleplayers to play actual campaigns through your platform, raking in even more cash as they sprawl through an immersive custom-world for a few years. And yes, charge money to allow the map builder to add character slots yet again for more influx of cash.

This either through "unlocking" the ability to use more people (one time gain), or through a "hosting fee" which charges you to upload the map for community use, with the rather minor fee based on map size & number of characters allowed in it. Larger fee to upload it for private use only (possibly the only way to control exactly who every human in play is will be by having the map locked as private, and you get a small refund of the private upload cost by making it public once you are done with it -- net cost after rebate still more than it would have cost to just upload public from the start)

Personally, the hosting fee sounds like a GREAT idea, as it means the library of custom scenarios won't get flooded by pointless drivel and broken junk. If you have to give up some tiny amount of Pizza, say 1 pizza for a 5x5 + 1 additional Pizza per added dimension (so 25 square map is 1 pizza, 36 square map is 2, and so on... can specify by squared tile count instead of XxX to encourage fewer square maps), and then 1 pizza per hero slot, and 1 pizza per player slot.

So bare minimum to upload a 25 grid 1 person with 1 hero map would be 3 pizza. This gets you essentially the first tutorial map. Adding 2 more heroes means another 2 pizza, and making the map a little larger gets you over the 36 tile mark for another 2 pizza up. So 7 pizza and you can upload the LAST tutorial map (and most of the SP campaign maps to follow). Split the heroes up to be controllable by different players (thus making it true MP), and you are at 9 pizza upload cost.

Make the map private use, costs you 10 pizza, but you get back 7 pizza if you return the map to public use later.

So for 19 pizza I can (if I own the figures and tiles) create a copy of most any of the early SP maps to play with 2 of my friends. Later I can recover 7 of those Pizza by releasing the map to the public. Or I could have my friends ready to play the MOMENT that I upload the map (assuming automated approval process) and we could gamble on being the only people to Queue for that particular map and just upload public in the first place.

9. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

I agree with this. I would pay a one-time fee to play custom adventures (I have paid for treasure hunts), but a club subscription is not attractive to me.

10. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

Woot!

11. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

The "paywall" was removed in the build released July 15:
    Go forth and be creative.