[FEEDBACK] Ally's No Longer Targeted in Step Attacks

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Doctor Blue, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

Cool. :)

The beginning stutter seems to be gone now. I can't play the new MP boards ATM because no one is really online and apparently you can't play casual games against the A.I.? And it's great that we can now quit out of target selection for step cards.

2. Platouf

Platouf Mushroom Warrior

Hello,

Arg! why? The step attack were strategical to play, now we can use as move card without reflection. I prefer must hit my friend if i don't move correctly.

Friendly,
    Platouf.

kogi, Zoorland, Jayce and 1 other person like this.
  3. attog

attog Mushroom Warrior

I'm with Platouf, at first I didn't care for this drawback but after you play for a while and get used to it, the drawback makes sense. I would go one step further and I think that chop cards that hit 2 players should also hit your allies if they are the only extra character next to you when you hit a single opponent.

kogi and Zoorland like this.
  4. Jayce

Jayce Hydra

5. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I too liked the strategic element it added into using them. However, looking at the bug reports it does seem to have confused a lot of people. So, while I do believe it makes those cards less interesting (and that makes me sad), it is probably for the best with regards to the success of the game.

Of course what I really would have liked was a tutorial explaining the fact that you would have to attack any ally in VERY BIG LETTERS, possibly accompanied by a humorous reason...

Zoorland, Platouf and Lance like this.
  6. Generica

Generica Mushroom Warrior

Yeah it might make for a dumber multiplayer game but the whoops-better-stab-my-ally rule probably had turned off some players to the game.

7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I'm really unhappy that the self stab is gone to be honest i think it both balanced and made step cards more strategic when used as move cards.

8. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

Intellectually I agree. The mechanic was an interesting tradeoff for more advanced players. As a core mechanic for new players though I think it was pretty bad.

9. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Never compromise game mechanics that are there the whole game to give new players a slightly easier time imo.

skip_intro and Zoorland like this.
  10. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

It isn't just a new player issue though. It wasn't logical, goes against conventions, and seems wrong. Once you get past that, it's an interesting mechanic because of the trade offs, but that same trade off can (and has) been done better. The attacks that attack everyone around you, and even charge for instance, both makes sense and provide the same kind of trade off. (Sadly the aoe attacks like berserk spin aren't available for some reason.)

Mutak and Kalin like this.
  11. Neofalcon

Neofalcon Goblin Champion

Personally, I would've liked to see them go the other way with step cards - make it so you can only move to locations that are valid attack locations (similar to Cautious Sneak), and then force you to always attack someone (so if you can't attack someone, you can't use the card, because there's no valid move locations).

This would make it line up with other attack cards - you can't use standard attack cards without a valid target, so now you wouldn't be able to use step attack cards without a valid target either.

Kalin, h0munkulus and skip_intro like this.
  12. Merrick Z

Merrick Z Kobold

Totally agree with Neofalcon on this one. It would have made a more interesting mechanic to make you have to attack with the step cards. Would significantly affect gameplay.

13. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

If step cards stay as per this build, hopefully a new keyword could be added - that forces attack after move (Momentum?). It's an interesting mechanic and could be useful in the future.

Mutak likes this.
  14. Natron77

Natron77 Kobold

Thank you for allowing Step attacks to be cancelled. This is a good design decision, since the old way was not intuitive and didn't provide anywhere near the depth some people seem to think it did.

Hopefully you can also refactor the movement system to allow canceling there.
    For those claiming it would conflict with triggers/modifiers, here's a simple approach that would bypass that theoretical problem:
    1. Play a move card. You can cancel or pick a destination based on unmodified distance.
    2. Now that you picked a destination, anything that triggers/modifies happens.
    3. If that changed your possible move, the old selection is ignored and you are prompted to re-pick.
    4. Your character moves.

15. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Just no to everything you said...

skip_intro likes this.
  16. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

+1 to Wozarg, especially this:

Essence likes this.
  17. h0munkulus

h0munkulus Kobold

I agree with this!

For some time I did not use step cards unless it would get me into a valid attack position because I thought it would not be possible to play them otherwise. I discovered that you can always play them pretty much by accident. I think it would be important for step cards to be in line with other attack cards and only allow them to be played if you end up attacking a valid target.

18. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I would be fine with them only be usable if you can actually attack something but having them like they are currently is a horrid compromise where everyone loses in my opinion.

skip_intro likes this.
  19. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Hey all! At the request of some of the devs, I moved the posts into their own thread as this discussion warrants the attention. :)

20. DragnHntr

DragnHntr Orc Soldier

Well then I am going to chime in and say it was a good change. You shouldn't keep counter-intuitive and punishing mechanics just because some people prefer the additional challenge. This is going to have to appeal to the mass market and it is already receiving flak for being too hard. Mechanics like this and not being able to cancel moves is going to really turn people off.

I do agree with re-adding it as its own clearly defined mechanic.