The Multiplayer Board suggestions thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Ben_Lee, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Ben_Lee

Ben_Lee Art Director, Chief Executive in charge of Laundry Staff Member

This thread is the place to post your suggestions and Multiplayer board ideas.
    We will be paying a lot of attention to this thread, and may use your board as basis for one to be added the game!* Screenshots are fine, no need to post the actual .brd file.
    If we do use your board, we will credit you in this thread and wherever else we can think of :)

Edit: We are mainly concerned with boards that can currently be built. Please restrain yourselves from suggesting boards which require new game features.

If you do not want us to use your board, please refrain from posting it in this thread.

*Be aware that by posting your board in this thread, you are making it available for us to potentially use it in the game. Please check our terms of service for further information.

2. Essence

Essence Orc Soldier

Boards with spread-out victory squares.
    Boards without victory squares.

Just getting the painfully obvious ones out there.

3. Ben_Lee

Here are the preview layouts of the new MP boards for the next build.
    When it is released later in the week, they will be accessible from the Create Casual game menu as non-ranked boards.

These are reasonably conservative symmetrical boards, with some experimentation with the Victory squares.

Crypt Boards.jpg

Evolved likes this.
  4. Ben_Lee

Spread -out victory squares will be further explored, although my first go at it was a disaster! (the board was the highly experimental "Manorhouse Melee". It was too big, prone to stalemates and led to comparatively boring choices) Nobody liked it, myself included.
    I am a strong proponent of "not just 4 in the middle" boards, so you can expect more work in this area.

It is highly unlikely we will see MP board with no Victory Squares in the near future. But never say never, as the saying goes. :)

5. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Tum te tum. To summarize:

If the Victory Squares are spread out, having fewer than four so as to allow more characters to do something other than stand still.

Using Victory Squares in different arrangements than a block.

Using Impassable tiles somewhere.

Edit: Aaaaaand of course all the good stuff gets posted while I'm distracted mid-writing.

Ben_Lee likes this.
  6. Willy Corgs

Willy Corgs Kobold

An arena surrounded by lava with single island victory spots (3 or 4 single islands in the lava 1x3 land bridges to get to them) - battling it out in the middle and need 1 more vp to win but drew a hand of move and armor? Try grab an island instead then hope you don't get pushed off...

Edit: Now compliant until the existence of lava rivers.

Ben_Lee likes this.
  7. Ben_Lee

Oops, my bad! I just edited my post to rule out non-existant game features (such as Lava rivers). Sorry about that, Willy!

8. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

:D

Is this just for testing purposes or will these new boards never make it to the ranked matches?

9. Ben_Lee

The Crypts Boards will be available to get feedback from the community. I intend to include them in the map rotation.

10. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

Awesome. :)

11. Fury

Fury Kobold

I like Sluice the best. Feast also looks neat.

12. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Hi ! I just took a quick look and Sluice pops out as a map that could be problematic.

[​IMG]

Two things:
    a) uh...well..I'm always looking at Wall Of Stone exploits. The figure above shows where a WoS casted on the red line would effectively cut off a party from the other. It can be casted on the other side as well to do the same. A suggestion is to break the dividing wall to allow an alternate path.
    b) The rectangular difficult terrain favors party members on one side (blue dots) than the other due to shortest path. There is an excess of difficult terrains which won't see much use. A suggestion is to trim that stretch and introduce a limited LoS sniping/control spot instead.

That's all for the moment. Hope it helps. :)

13. Ben_Lee

Cheers Phaselock, great feedback!

14. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

[​IMG]

I think you should add difficult terrian to this map where I suggested, in order to do a few things:

1. Prevent warriors with sprint from bum rushing enemy team.
    2. Prevent mages from kiting all day around the pillars UNLESS they have some teleport or fly cards.
    3. Add an element of risk when going for victory square.

15. Evolved

Evolved Mushroom Warrior

16. Logan Hawkthorne

Logan Hawkthorne Mushroom Warrior

I like the new boards, you actually need to rethink your strategy in these. I'd say we wouldn't want just more of the same, so that's a good job!
    ok at the moment I happen to hate Sluice but I like the challenge about it (I may either crack its secret eventually or get to despise it for good, don't know yet).

17. Dwedit

Dwedit Goblin Champion

I'd love a much larger variety of boards. Throw in all the classic boards too, then maybe throw in a few new ones as well. Maybe even some of the single player Cardstock Preview boards if they are symmetric enough for Multiplayer.
    The new crypt boards are nice and all, but they get old fast when they're the only boards available.

18. Mutak

Mutak Goblin Champion

Crypt Feast: You need to guarantee that both players will start out with the same number of characters on the steps. Better yet, remove the steps entirely - wasting your first move on difficult terrain sucks.

19. I find the crypt boards to be too large with too much inconvenient difficult terrain. They seem to heavily favor fireball/firestorm teams, just because of the distance involved.

20. applesaurus

applesaurus Mushroom Warrior

So true. It seems like this map is set up so one person starts with TWO characters on steps, while the other team has just one.