This is the worst adventure, it's unfair, it's impossible (et cetera)

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Sir Knight, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Cuthawolf, if you're in the library (last mission of Xorr) and you're up against 2 armored dogs and a mercenary, I suggest staying behind the bookshelves (they're difficult terrain) as they'll slow the progress of your enemy. The most dangerous foe is the mercenary, so if your mage can finish him up before he gets to you - it's a lot easier.

2. Manabarbs

Manabarbs Kobold

Having just finished all of the missions, I feel like the hardest ones for me were the monkeys. I felt like I had to both pull everything off pretty well AND get kind of lucky. Yellow Dragon took me a few tries to work out a reasonable strategy.

I also got struggled on Garnet Demon Portal, because up to that point I hadn't prioritized mobility at all, which made it very difficult to chase down the (primarily ranged) enemies in the dungeon.

3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

If you have Firestorm, that will take care of the servants at the end of the round, and trigger blocks on the guards. Spiked Mail is also very effective against melee opponents (you should have a Jerkin Of Thorns from the starter deck). Then whatever good damage boosting cards you have; I generally use Slicer, Spark Generator, Unholy Frenzy, and Righteous Frenzy.

4. Cuthawolf

Cuthawolf Kobold

I actually didn't have too many problems with the Library. It TPK'd me the first time because I wasn't properly prepared for the powerful spear strikes the Merc handed out, but once my mage was loaded up with Force spells and mazes, he wasn't an issue. It's actually the Kitchen that thwarts me most of the time, 2 armoured dogs, 2 servants and 3 men at arms. Trying to move around the blocking terrain works a little bit, but the sheer amount of damage is just too much. Penetrating Strikes combined with that massive 11 Damage cleave are too much for me to handle.

5. Cuthawolf

Cuthawolf Kobold

Oh man I would LOVE a firestorm, but right now I sadly don't have one. However I do have all that other stuff, so I'll be sure to give that a go. Thanks much for the advice :)

6. Pengw1n

For the kitchen I would have suggested tackling the smaller group to the "north" while the rest catches up. It's not a simple map, but it's very important to have the mobility for it. Now that you've passed it, I guess it doesn't matter. GJ.

7. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

Anytime there are mercenaries and dogs, you must let them come to you, and not all at once. Dogs have armour, but decent sized penetrating damage of any kind will negate it. I don't think there is anything too fancy to do apart from separating them, focusing fire, and taking down the dogs first because they are easier to kill.

I tend to use a tanking warrior who can take a bit of pain - and is supported by heals from the priest - to fight the mercenary, while the dogs run around and nip everyone, but not lethally.

Note that the warrior's primary job is to hold the merc - if he can hit a dog while doing that, he should do so.

8. Essence

Essence Orc Soldier

Anyone have any tips for the Goblins? Or the final level of Descent into the Core? I'm stuck on both. :)

9. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Which Goblins? Do you mean Tree Forts of the Goblin King?

And I only recently re-purchased Descent into the Core, so I don't have current advice. Glancing at Pengw1n's thread from before the reset, I see this map HAD a lot of enemies (still does?), but no Difficult Terrain by default. Well, I'd guess I'd bring lots of things to help movement (Free Move, Step, various "Team" things) and ranged Attacks. Then I'd strategically stand on benign Terrain effects (so they don't cast a worse one), and try to pincer those jerks so they get pinned into a corner.

10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Quote of the day:
    from Darths & Droids

11. I've had very easy battles and very hard ones. Sometimes it is up to the random card
    draw or using terrain to your advantage.

That is where the strategy and luck comes in.

Monkeys were by far the worst. Fast moving, lots of armor and overwhelming numbers.

12. Gerry Quinn

Little goblins seem to have a lot of immunities and don't do much damage, so as a general rule concentrate on the big ones first. In the level with one big goblin and three groups, I used Wall of Stone to delay the boss and most of the minions, and the boss was dead from ranged attacks before he got to me.

As for the Core: always keep a move card in hand, always kill any non-geomancers first, and never hurry. That is all.

13. Essence

Essence Orc Soldier

Goblins in the Woods is the one I'm talking about. I can't even get halfway through the first battle. By the time I've whittled down one of the big goblins, the others have surrounded me, even if I Wall of Stone to cut some of them off.

Descent into the Core I can get up to the final battle, but I've never been able to kill half of the enemies before I die horribly. I've never seen a Free Move card (on my side of the table), so those Cave Ins basically make it "waste X turns getting to your opponent", while getting pelted by Sparks the whole way.

14. agent8261

agent8261 Mushroom Warrior

So I've just encountered my first road block. Part 2 of shrine of the astral guardians. While this map is difficulty it's also really annoying. Moving to the enemies takes a while because of the water pools. Furthermore they hit incredibly hard and there isn't any blocking terrain to hide behind. But the really annoying part is they have blocks and armor. So you can't just beat them down.

15. Pengw1n

This map is heavily reliant on LoS - and staying away from their "special moves". If you figure those out it's usually easier (and having access to Wall of Stone helps).

16. Gerry Quinn

I found that one easy (haven't tried 3 yet). The rooks are easy to avoid, and they are only dangerous firing in the cardinal directions.

Bet there's a queen in 3, that'll be painful!

17. Pengw1n

Sadly, just 3 types of Guardians. Hopefully they'll add more in future adventures. One of my favourite enemy types!

18. Lecutter

Lecutter Kobold

My main problem with how some of the adventures are built is that it almost forces to round out your party. I have a part of all dorfs because I love dorfs and being thematic. There are definitely a few places where that lack of mobility is a *major* hindrance. So, I think testing theme groups through all adventures should be stressed for balance sake. Overall it's pretty good however.

19. Stompy

Stompy Mushroom Warrior

Ok, I've gotten a little further into the campaign and just had my first replay. First map of Goblin Tree Fort just destroyed me over and over. After 5 or 6 tries I eventually got lucky and my wizard was able to fire wall/path of knives some of the sparky things. My wizard was the only survivor at the end but a win is a win. Maps 2 and 3 of the same module were an absolute pub stomp, very easy in comparison. My party is Dwarf Warrior, Human Wizard, Human Priest. Equipping my Priest with Maple Roots also helped immensely, allowing me to root enemies onto a lava tile.

20. Gerry Quinn

I guess if you have all dwarfs you need to save all your mobility items.

I haven't found mobility to be too much of a problem for my dwarf warrior, but he carries a lot of step attacks. Fortunately there are weapons with plenty of these. Priests could use them too. Wizards probably have the fewest mobility options but they need them less.