Whew, forum exhaustion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir Knight, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

They really, really must be letting a lot of people into beta now. I've been getting exhausted reading all these new posts.

I mean, I just finished reading today's batch, and my immediate thought was "Isn't there something I should be posting? Did somebody have a question? Was someone wrong on the internet?"

It feels so weird to be . . . DONE READING.

Maybe I should play Card Hunter?

Lance, Pengw1n and Megadestructo like this.
  2. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Tell me about it ;)

3. Sir Knight

Do you play Card Hunter when you're not on the forum?

. . . Is it any good?

Megadestructo likes this.
  4. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I do! And yes :)

5. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

stopped playing. spend more time reading for forums than playing.
    =(

6. Gentley

Gentley Kobold

May i suggest a partial solution? Email notification for new posts on watched threads is on by default, it´s the opposite on most other forums. If someone new posts in a popular thread w/o being aware of that fact, he might very well end up with dozens of mails within a few hours.
    Bonus: Turning it of might cause some people to forget about the forum, decreasing your readload :D

7. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

i dont read emails. i get two hundred a day of them

8. Sir Knight

Well, I got to this point by enjoying reading the posts. I like communicating with people about something fun. Thus: the compelling feeling that I should read all of them.

Then "all of them" became very large. My goodness.

Oh, and don't get me started on e-mail. I dread checking my e-mail sometimes. E-mail gives me work.

Megadestructo likes this.
  9. funny

funny Mushroom Warrior

In my opinion its really annoying, you have to do two more clicks when writing something to avoid it.
    I would like it a lot better to get a checkbox to subscribe which is unchecked by default, or at least an option to disable it in the settings.

10. Sir Knight

Well, there IS an option in the settings (go to your account, then look for "Preferences" under "Settings" on the left-hand side), and I DO have e-mail notification disabled. I don't want any forum anywhere to have that kind of power over me!

11. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

There really is a lot of posts compared to 3 months ago. I spent a lot more time reading and re-reading virtually the same posts. We seem to have 2k+ registered members but 3k+ in-game leaderboard. And it happens to be the cyclical troll season as well....if only accounts are tied to in-game usernames. :(

12. Sir Knight

What's interesting is that reading the posts on these forums help me get my "Card Hunter fix." I think to myself "I want some Card Hunter now," and sometimes I'll find I'm not opening up the game but instead checking out what people SAY about the game via forum. That says something about the quality of the community in general.

13. AxeGrinder

AxeGrinder Kobold

Hmm. Yeah I turned that off, but I still receive e-mails. Maybe I received those mails prior to turning that off. I'll test it for a bit because I don't mind alerts on the forums, but if I get pestered with e-mails I'd rather turn it all off.

14. Gentley

Gentley Kobold

Topics you posted in prior to unchecking seem to stay "watched".

15. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Heh, an optimist. An article for your reading pleasure, mirrors my view on forum life cycle.

Scroll to top of the thread, there is an 'Unwatch Thread' toggle on the right. Hope it helps.

16. Sir Knight

Nah, I think of myself as more "practical" than "optimistic." That is, "hope for the best, plan for the worst." And I wanted to say something positive about my time here anyway.

That article, though; are you sure you linked the right one? I was just going to say "yup, looks familiar," but it doesn't seem to be "about the life cycle." Did you intend just one section of it?

Edit: Wait, I found it. You meant the couple of sentences about the sorts of people attracted to a forum over time. Yes, I know. I'm also used to long-running forums and the sorts of social roles that people get in them; how certain individuals across the spectrum come and go; and so on.

17. Failsociety

Failsociety Kobold

I spend a lot of time reading these forums, but mostly in hopes of scoring a key, since I get no love to my email inbox! 3 months and counting! Generally I enjoy reading the forums though up to a point. Sometimes the forums are a hazzard however.