The Mysterious Weapons

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mightymushroom, Jun 13, 2012.

1. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

The latest diary has a matching game. (Know your Weapons! Don't use a Javelin to cut wheat, do use a Stiletto for quiet assassinations!)

http://www.cardhunter.com/2012/06/mystery-weapons/

I do have a question about the Raging Strike card. It looks like a dual Red/Black - but I understood the specialty of black (trait) cards is that they get played automatically, so how could you use it as an attack if it's already played? Or is that just because the reaction it has acts like a trait while still being in your hand?

2. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

We changed the colours again :D

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yeah, as Farbs says, we did another colour revision pass. Black cards are now handicap cards that do something bad to you. So the Red/Black card is an attack with a handicap.

Traits can now be black or orange. Orange cards are Boosts that do something good for you. We have a bunch of fun new positive traits that I'll write about in a diary soon.

4. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

The colors changed again. The colors changed AGAIN.

If your future players cannot trust the rainbow, what can they trust??

. . . Yeah, that's all I have. I'm massively busy right now.

5. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

6. mightymushroom

That makes a lot of sense. The prospective players have been equating Black = Drawback for a long time now; it's like the color change earlier when you went from all magic is Purple to magical attacks being Red same as weapons. Will there be some sort of border or symbol then to quickly distinguish trait cards from more normal cards? (Or will you rely on the players to A. know their cards, and B. use the mouseover if they don't?)

7. Jon

Yeah, we realised that we don't really need to use a colour to highlight traits as the game picks them out for you when you have to play them. Whenever you have a trait in your hand, you can't play anything else before that (except another trait) and all the traits are highlighted for you. So, it was a bit redundant using colour to identify them.

All traits now have the "Trait" keyword written on them.

8. mightymushroom

I was thinking more bout identifying them on the inventory/deckbuilding interface where you have a lot of small cards on the screen and may be seeking certain ratios of one kind vs. another -- but as I said, there's always the mouseover. I'm cool with this. :cool:

Care to confirm or deny this color list? (just to keep current)

Red -- Attacks(Damage) -- pretty much anything that removes health will be at at least half Red
    White -- Healing/Buffs -- adding health, positive attachments, removing attachments
    Green -- Blocking -- defensive cards activate when targeted, preventing effects; dependent on character facing
    Grey -- Armor -- defensive cards activate when character takes damage, reduces damage
    Orange -- Bonus/Boost -- (in the known examples) adds cards to the hand, or improves the effect of other cards
    Black -- Handicap (aka Drawback) -- opposite of Orange, causes discard or reduces effectiveness of cards
    Purple -- Utility -- effects that are not directly harmful or beneficial as in the above categories*
    Blue -- Movement -- gets a character around the board; except with "Free" keyword, zone-of-control and difficult terrain applies

*Example: Teleporting is not harmful per se, even though lava can burn a character if that's where the teleport ends.
    ? The Polearm Block in this week's diary is (half) Grey, but previously seen Shield Blocks are Green. Is it wise to use the same word for two categories?

Hm, I don't see any Yellow in that list. That can only mean there's a game mechanic still waiting to be discovered. Expansions will be using plaid and polka-dot combinations. :D

9. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

YES.

CODE THIS.

10. Jon

That's pretty much spot on. Congrats!

And, also, nice catch regarding Polearm Block. It is an Attack/Armor card and shouldn't have the word Block in the name.

I wavered a lot on the use of Purple for what we call "Utility" cards. They aren't necessarily Magic cards, although most of them are. What defines them is that they aren't clearly Attacks or Assists. They're the kind of cards that you can use in different ways. A good example is Teleport, which you can use to teleport enemies or friends. In the end I think it's useful to have them visually differentiated in your hand (or in the deckbuilder).

We probably do have one or two spare colours - yellow as you mention.

11. mightymushroom

Correction noted and applied. :)