Move then attack cards force attack on ally

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Jabbro, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Jabbro

Jabbro Kobold

I had an issue with the Lunging Hack, which I have since replicated with other move then attack cards.

If a Lunging Hack is played, and no one is in range after the movement but allies, you are forced to pick one of them. I had a situation where an Encumber was placed on my character, but this also happens if you use the card for a move but are not close enough to an enemy to strike. There is no way to cancel the attack either. Is this on purpose? Meaning my character is in a blind rage and has to attack something?

2. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Yes, this is still working as intended, though many, many threads have stated this is an issue.

3. Jabbro

Jabbro Kobold

Interesting. Thanks for the confirmation.

4. azelea

azelea Mushroom Warrior

For a little elaboration: After you click a move card, certain cards like 'slow' go into effect. Slow gives encumber: 1 on a roll of 4 or higher.

Since there are these kind of effects, they must be calculated first before you can be shown where you can move. If you could cancel them, you could retry and cancel until you weren't slowed down.

5. Jabbro

Jabbro Kobold

I understand why the move cannot be canceled. Move acts like an enhancement card in that it is attached to the character when it is played, however these are two fold cards with both move and attack elements. It would make sense if the attack portion could be canceled independently of the move. Granted you still lose the card, but that would allow it to act as move And/Or attack instead of being gridlocked into both.

6. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

In short:
    We've discussed this logic at length, as you can see in other threads. You can also see . . . yeah, we keep quoting these threads over and over as new people ask the same question.

But as Jon said, it's currently logical with how Attack cards work. The problem arises in that players feel "railroaded" into this due to the opening Move part. Hence I keep suggesting this:

7. azelea

azelea Mushroom Warrior

I mean it's good that people ask this. Let's try not become melvin's ourself ;)

8. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I apologize. After plenty of recent negativity, I'd rather not add any myself.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  9. azelea

azelea Mushroom Warrior

Don't worry, sometimes if you've been somewhere for a while, the repetition of what new people notice can get to you. We know you didn't mean it badly ;)

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  10. Jabbro

Jabbro Kobold

Thanks, Sir Knight. I agree that this card should act more like an attack and not so much a move. You are forced to attack, but you can avoid the move by clicking on the square you are currently in and selecting the same facing. With this respect it would make sense to see the full range of move plus attack in the highlighting along with targets before the card is selected.

I do not not mean to open a can of worms. It just seems that move cards get treated as traits and attack cards are not. Since this card is both, it is an unnatural blend for the play style. Still it is good to know before hand that you will have to attack ally if you do not move close enough to an enemy.

11. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Yep, it would be nice. Then again, it's usually something new players learn after first encounter :)

Can't really say I have strong feelings either way. It actually limits utility of step cards a tiny bit, or gives bit of a trade off. Which is good. Then again it's bit surprising and can lead to unwanted consequences if player isn't paying attention.

12. zz_tophat

zz_tophat Kobold

I... huh. I was curious about this myself and assumed it was a bug that would be ironed in time.

Frankly I am a little shocked this is a case of W.A.I.

Shouldn't the cards be half black or some sum such if their use comes at a cost?

13. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

There actually isn't any cost. You can still attack enemies, or move to empty spaces. Only moving next to an ally when there isn't enemies has a downside. And plenty of cases where it's worthwhile even then. Same as Bashing/Force Bolting allies.

14. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Not so much since the recent changes to prevent infinite card drawing due to "Friendly Fire"