[Suggestion] Reset time in multiplayer should be settable

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by MikeF, May 29, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Until then . . . someone will dutifully copy-and-paste Farbs' explanation for those who do actually ask on the forum.

Someone.

2. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Optimal would probably still be 20 wins every day, depends on how you look at it. And even if it isn't optimal, it still heavily suggests that you should get 20 wins a day.

Sure, 1 or 3 might be better idea and much easier to do, but it still leaves the impression that player (or me atleast) fails at something rather than succeeds.

3. Sayeth Aether

Sayeth Aether Mushroom Warrior

Forduc: I am sorry what? That makes absolutely no sense at all, how is 20 wins per day for just one epic item optimal for anybody? It to me seems like a giant waste of time and effort as I can get that item quite easily just from playing campaign and enjoying my time with Card Hunter. If you love this game so much and spend that much time in one day, you get at least "something" out of it but really, it does not put you that much ahead as your inventory will be filled up with common and uncommon items in 15/20 cases.

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

Do you get guaranteed epics? You get a lot more than just one epic chest for those 20 wins. Farbs explained that just getting the rare chests should give you a higher ratio of epic items to chests ratio, but if your are looking to actually farm epics quickly being guaranteed one epic with a chance at getting more is much more optimal. So if you're trying to get the most number of epics with the least number of wins, win one rare chest a day. If you are trying to get the most number of epics possible quickly, win 20 to get 4 rare chests and an epic chest every day. Each are optimal when just considering multiplayer battles, depending on your goal. You could likely get more rare chests doing campaign adventures, but there is no guarantee with rare chests and it's the same thing over and over...

A) What? Bauhahahha... (sorry, made me laugh put this way)
    B) Of course it does.
    C) I have more items, I have more options. Those are useful too! They can even be sold to help purchase epics.
    D) Same thing happens with rare chests or playing the campaign.

5. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Careful, careful, I don't want to see people getting frustrated with each other. It sounds like things are going off track: no one can argue whether "getting more loot were better than getting less loot." It's obvious: compare 1 game played each day for 20 days, to 20 games played each day for 20 days.

Farbs was talking about the efficiency of exactly 20 games. 20 games each day for 20 days is less efficient. It just gets you way, way more loot (less efficiently).

6. Sayeth Aether

I am not sure what is your point Blindsight, if you want to farm epics - then farm epics. If you want to play the game for the sake of fun, do whatever you want that makes it fun for you. My idea of having fun is to play a couple of MP matches and/or campaign before going to sleep and I really do not care about rare or ultra epic items - some of them are not even THAT good.

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

Right. You asked "how is 20 wins per day for just one epic item optimal for anybody?" seemingly challenging the Forduc's comment that getting to the epic chest would be optimal. I suggested that if you were trying to build your cardbase and farm epics, it is optimal. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Your comment that "it does not put you that much ahead as your inventory will be filled up with common and uncommon items in 15/20 cases." made me laugh because farming items does the exact same thing that running the campaign or just playing a few multiplayer matches a day does, only faster. The point of farming is to 'get ahead' in collecting items. both the casual player and hardcore item farmer is going to have an inventory filled with common and uncommon items along the way.

8. Sayeth Aether

Yes, of course but do you honestly really believe that achieving 20 wins in one day is better than 20 wins PER day? Epic items are not that uncommon to get so this is why I question anyone who feels that it is "necessary"to get 20 wins in one day and even wanting to keep the win counter or stuff like that. So far I have not got more than 3 wins in a day (twice so far) and even then I got 3 epic items from Multiplayer. Of course, I might have been just incredibly lucky but I seriously doubt that.

9. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

Forduc said (and you responded to) "Optimal would probably still be 20 wins every day". Of course getting as many chests PER day is optimal if your goal is the greatest number of items per day. Not sure where you got that I was talking about 20 wins on just a single day vs multiple days.

I've gotten about 18 rare chests from multiplayer thus far and have one epic from them. I'd say you are certainly lucky.

10. Rorre

Rorre Orc Soldier

I think you might be arguing at cross-purposes to several other people in this thread. What Farbs was saying was that you get better loot, and specifically more epic chests per unit effort if your twenty games each hit the first MP chest, rather than spamming them out and getting the epic chest.

I think that you're saying that playing more is better than playing less if you're trying to get cards, which I think everybody agrees with. I'm a really annoying details person, so I do feel obliged to point out that 20 isn't optimal in this case, as the principle of "more is better" still holds after you've closed out the epic chest.

It's your point that makes the first one feel important. When I was looking at that progression, I felt like there were people with a lot of time, who were clearly going to get more loot than I was, but the guaranteed epic made it feel like they were getting more *and* better items, which is apparently untrue.

You'll clearly get more loot the more you play, but if you play twice as much you'll only get twice as many epics, instead of playing twice as much and getting three times as many epics, as several of us feared.

11. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Pretty much besides my point what is optimal and in which situation.

My point is that MP chest progression makes it look like 20 chest would be desirable and probably very good. That directly reduces the fun I get from MP games. One "fix" would be OPs suggestion or modification of it. I'd say manual reset with minumum of 18 hours between resets. Slightly more complex, would still have same problem, but in much lesser extend.

As for optimum, comparing 20 wins in one day to one win in 20 days is complete theorycraft and has very little practical value. Certainly it would be good if 20 daily wins will give better loot on average than 20 wins in same day to give people fair chance to keep up or catch up.

Edit: But it stands that after one day other has 1 MP chest, and other 20 MP chest, which one is more optimal for one day?

12. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Honestly epic chest as it stands is not worth the effort even with a W:L of something like 1:5 it should be something that happens on a day you are having fun pvping not something you go to the pvp area to do. Take it from me that's how you burn out on the game and the reason i haven't been playing lately. Take care and be nice to each other people!

Sayeth Aether and Lance like this.
  13. Rorre

Rorre Orc Soldier

It's not theorycraft at all. It's basic fairness. If everyone gets the same reward for every game, that's fair. If the person playing more games, and thus getting more loot and experience, is getting more loot *per game* as well, then that just exaggerates their advantage and feels very unfair.

You're dismissing other people's opinion here. It's fine that you don't think it important, but I and other people were bothered by the current formulation until Farbs talked about the reward-per-game.

14. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

More loot per game? The person maxing out their multiplayer wins will actually be getting less loot per game due to the number of common chests they have to go through (which only contain two items). Getting one rare chest per day is closing in on double the loot per game. Someone only getting a single rare chest per day also has a better chance to get better quality loot per game.

I'm not sure where the problem is.

15. Rorre

Rorre Orc Soldier

Lol. Yes. Farbs dropped by to tell us that in this thread. Before I read that post it looked really bad, but I don't think it's broken anymore.

I'd still like to see this changed, because I'm worried that other people will feel the way I did before Farbs' explained how it plays out, or that they will burn out the way Wozarg described.

16. Sayeth Aether

If people would be able to reset whenever they wanted, you can be sure that everyone will exploit it... In a way to reset it after each and every win to have 4 items for first win of the day. That way, you will collect far more loot then a person going for that epic item (which in the end may end up being treasure)

17. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Clearly you are absolutely right.

However having time for 20 wins in one day doesn't mean that you have time for one win every day for 20 days. Or vice versa, so comparing them in sense of what is optimal is theorycraft. And given any real world time restriction clearly shows that more wins in a day -> more loot. But like I said, this discussion is bit off topic.

I'm not dismissing them. I agree with them. Nothing wrong with actual loot distribution it generates.

However first impression PvP loot system gives is rather bad. And even after running the math it still feels annoying. It drives you toward 20 wins in a day and like Wozarg said, aiming for that will lead to burnout rather soon. Will be a problem only for "handfull" of people.

But well, minor inconvenience, if my point isn't clear by this point it probably never will... And atleast the system is much better than progressive daily win/login bonus

18. Rorre

Rorre Orc Soldier

I think at this point we're in violent agreement ;)

The current loot system looks unfair, and also encourages a style of play that is not fun, in the sense that it both encourages burnout, and/or leaves people feeling like they've failed.

2 different, valid problems :)

19. Lauris

Lauris Kobold

Just my two cents, that I will never play more than three matches a day. I just don't have the time and energy, even if I like the game.