[QUESTION] Quests and xp?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Runan, May 24, 2013.

1. Runan

Runan Mushroom Warrior

I've started doing a few quests, and seeing how different setups are more interesting to use here than in the standard adventures, I thought I'd level some new characters up while doing the easier low-lvl quests (do not die or use cards with drawbacks).
    But but, no xp is awarded from completing the quests :(
    I valiantly overcome the obstacles, I find the treasure, yet my level 1 characters fail to learn anything new from the trials?

I imagine there is a good reason for this? Please enlighten me :)

2. Bane

Bane Mushroom Warrior

((If you're not up to quests, ignore this, I'm not talking about adventures))

So when I got up to quests, I figured 'sweet, I can level a bunch of other characters' only to find that they don't give experience. Considering the difficulty of quests, I was pretty surprised to find them not awarding XP at all.

Outside of that, I'm quite a fan of quests, and it certainly gives replayability - I just wish that the loot was unlevelled!

3. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Eugh, it looks like we have a problem: people are getting confused about quests. I'm cross-posting with this other thread about the same thing:

http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/spoiler-alert-quests-not-giving-experience.1765

The point is SUPPOSED to be thus:
    Your reward for completing a quest is higher-rarity loot (and a sense of accomplishment). You don't get XP: you get loot.

Before the beta reset, us players had been running quests to "beef up" our decks, getting the rarer (and presumably better) items from a particular level range, and making later adventuring (for XP) easier. This has since changed, as quests only unlock after you play every single adventure. We discussed this here:

http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/when-or-how-are-quests-unlocked.1640

Today, you can't use quests to "beef up" your deck, as you've already won by that point. Given the recent spate of confusion, I have to conclude that quests just don't make sense to new players.

4. Bane

Bane Mushroom Warrior

Right, but I get a low level rare, for my low level party, who then after having completed the adventure in four different quest permutations (and proving beyond the shadow of a doubt that they are, in fact, badass) I then have to defeat the 'normal' quest if I want any XP for that party.

Seems strange, and I can honestly see little reason for me to add quests as part of my routine as they currently stand (and I'm a bit of an achievement hunter). I'll do some of the quests for level 14+ stuff for potential multiplayer loot, but as they presently stand quests are pretty much... 'eh'

5. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

This looks like it should be in Feedback (and is a good topic for discussion), so retagging title and moving. Also found the other thread and just merged them.

6. Bane

Bane Mushroom Warrior

Wow, and this thread is almost identical to mine, thanks!

7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

To be fair the way quests unlock now they might as well give exp so you can level your next party while doing them.

Runan likes this.
  8. Runan

Runan Mushroom Warrior

I wholeheartedly agree.

The quests still make sense, in that they always give a rare item, I just don't understand why they don't award xp as usual - the rare item is awarded due to the quest-restrictions.
    If I want to increase the difficulty a bit while doing quests by using lower level characters that can get xp, why stop me?

Flaxative likes this.
  9. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Earlier in beta quests unlocked per adventure after you beat it making it logical to stop you from over leveling content by doing all quests. But in my personal opinion this is now negated by quests only appearing much later which i feel is a shame as i liked them to be there right away.

10. Runan

Runan Mushroom Warrior

Ah, makes sense.
    Just doesn't make sense if they keep it as it is now (which is fine by me, except the xp part)

11. Demonac

Demonac Kobold

Given that the quests only unlock after the campaign now, there's NO reason not to give out XP. Just like the OP, I bought some new characters because it would feel be much more fulfilling to complete the quests while also leveling up and gaining the option of going 3 priests or something later on. And like the OP I found it really disappointing that I can't do so... for no reason.

I understand the need for replay value... and quests totally do that. It's a great idea. BUT if we want to level more characters at the same time... LET US.
    It's immensely frustrating and DEmotivating every time I play through a quest and get no XP, and just as frustrating to play through an adventure (for the 3rd or 4rth time) JUST for the XP and not qualify for the available quests at the same time.

12. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

If they give XP I hope they add a way to stop your characters from leveling, trying to complete the 1hp quests with a full deck would be too luck based.

13. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

This one pretty much. Not that I personally use low level characters for quests, but it's valid choice and could be bothersome to get new guys every few quests. And leveling people is rather quick, if bit unrewarding, with normal adventures.

14. fooble

fooble Kobold

So here's the problem, and this is why so many people are frustrated: You just beat the game, the quests show up, and now it's apparent the party you beat the game with is going to need some new members. But the new characters aren't level 18 like the rest of your party. They're level 1 or level 10. And the only way to get them up to level 18 is to grind for XP.

People play video games to have fun. Nobody wants to grind for XP.

A possible solution that many people have mentioned is giving XP for quests, so you can level up your new characters without having to replay regular adventures. But I think I have a better solution.

Having characters of different levels causes all kinds of problems in this game. For example, let's say you're playing through the campaign for the first time, and you want to field a dwarf wizard sometimes, and an elf wizard other times. It sounds like a good idea, but it's a pain to do, because the one you sit out doesn't gain experience. Trying to keep all four of your characters at the same level would be difficult.

So I say, don't let characters be different levels. Make them all be the same level, no matter what, even new recruits. In other words, have a single level for the entire party. This enables hassle-free character substitution. It's easy to swap out items for different ones. I think it should be just as easy to swap out characters for different ones.

15. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless Goblin Champion

Really, the game needs to automatically remove item slots from characters as their level is scaled down for earlier adventures (and ideally let players choose that level). Most of the time the smaller deck would work in the player's favour, and if not, it would at least make them feel like an appropriately newbie character again instead of being decked out with the same level 6-7 gear for all the early quests. The real advantage of doing this being that you'd eliminate enough of the level-system gaming occurring now that quests could be allowed to hand out XP without ticking off the other half of the player base that didn't want them to.

Turbo164, fooble and Andrew Talbot like this.
  16. progammer

progammer Ogre

Except that system won't give you a choice in the matter, you got a small deck regardless. For this current system, you get large deck size. If you want small, just 10g at the shop for that characters. And frankly lvling characters from 1-6 is increadibly simple given how easy those early level are compared to the gear you should have had by the time you beat the game.

I've leveled 3 sets of party to lvl 16 for completing certain quests and it doesnt take long. Once you have beaten the game, you should be confident enough to always beat module 2 level above your characters, netting you 20xp per module. Which means in order to get your party to level 16, you only need to beat 15 module.

17. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless Goblin Champion

Exactly. It's mindlessly tedious, makes a mess of your character list, and yet is encouraged by the game in order to improve your odds of completing certain quests. If all quests began to award XP without first changing the level scaling system, players would be spending even more time to exploit the loopholes and less actually enjoying the difficult challenges they came for.

18. Vholes

Vholes Thaumaturge

I've been having a lot of fun with the drawback quests and, after having a devil of a time with Citrine Demon Portal, decided to level a couple of wizards so I could use more resistant hide. And in the meantime, I thought, may as well have some fun with the all-wizard quests.

But as it turns out I don't get xp for completing the more difficult, fun tasks, only for the easy, solved, now-boring tasks. Huh?

There's no way I'm going to spend many hours mindlessly repeating content just for xp. Which is a shame, because I think playing around with different party configurations would be one of the most fun endgame activities, and I don't know why that sandbox needs to be hidden behind a grind when there is already a built-in way to add replayability.

Flaxative likes this.
  19. Same here. Started to do quests, realized no xp is given, and my zeal to play diminished quickly ...
    I am a sworn enemy of grinding.

Flaxative and Vholes like this.
  20. ClimbHigh

ClimbHigh Mushroom Warrior

Not giving XP when doing quests is detrimental to my enjoyment of quests.
    To get some level 10+ party members doing specific quests is a repetitive grind that aren't rewarding for me.