Hero Quest Reprint

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hajeil Sounak, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Hajeil Sounak

Hajeil Sounak Mushroom Warrior

So one of the reasons I'm interested in Card Hunter is that I'm a big fan of the classic table top boardgame RPGs like Hero Quest. Do any of you remember that game? (see attached picture) Anyways it seems that it is out of print and hard to find. When you do find it on ebay or other services it is usually missing pieces and or overpriced. What I'm working towards is trying to get Hasbro to reprint the game. I've emailed them and asked if they still have the rights to the game or not and what I could do to help show a market interest for the game. My question to all of you is, if I were to start a petition to show interest would any of you be willing to sign it?

Attached Files:

2. Golthan

Golthan Kobold

Yeah, I'd certainly sign the petition. I think I have seen the game in a couple of places and never actually had a chance to play it. I think I saw someone play though...probably at one of the stores near here.

3. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

You could always consult this old thread wherein we discussed what sort of tabletop games we'd played. Oddly, I didn't see anybody else mention HeroQuest. I have it, plus one expansion, and I know various other people who have it.

I have no clue about the effectiveness of a petition. I'd add my name . . . but I wouldn't buy a reprint, since I have it already! Who knows, maybe they'd do a glorious special edition reprint like Space Hulk had, especially if someone told them they can be "hip" and make money on this "nostalgia" thing.

(I emphasize nostalgia since a lot of companies seem to be reviving old work because it's "old," and not because it's "good." HeroQuest is good. I'd call it a no-brainer to bring it back, but no one listens to me.)

4. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

Yes, this was an awesome game. A few years ago I searched high and low in my town for a copy of this game... and any of its expansions. My search was fruitless. A few months ago I did however stumble upon a digital remake using the vassal engine. If you are up to learning to use the program's interface, it actually looks pretty slick. http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:HeroQuest

What is vassal, you ask? From their website, "Vassal is a game engine for building and playing online adaptations of board games and card games. Play live on the Internet or by email. Vassal runs on all platforms, and is free, open-source software."
    http://www.vassalengine.org/

They have a lot of cool games on there. If you have a group of people looking to play some long distance boardgames while waiting for CardHunter to finish, that site is the place to check out.

5. Hajeil Sounak

Bad a55! Thanks for the tip! Downloading now! :D

6. brock

brock Kobold

Did HeroQuest come with a sweet VHS tape that taught you how to play the game? Because I never played the game, but I certainly watched that video :)

7. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

The boxed set we got did not have any video; just this amazing technology called "the rules." Did you stumble upon some sort of old-fashioned "trailer," or perhaps an advertisement?

8. Hajeil Sounak

I believe the game you are thinking of is Dragonstrike.

9. brock

brock Kobold

Dragon Strike is the game I was thinking of. The video was super cheesy and cool.

More on topic, Penny Arcade has a cool write-up of a tabletop dungeon crawl game that looks pretty amazing: Super Dungeon Explore.

[edit: Thanks, Hajeil! I found it too :)]

10. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

I like VASSAL: there are so many boardgames you can play on your PC.
    There's another PC game based on Heroquest: http://members.quicknet.nl/lm.broers/hquest.htm.
    Unfortunately is not finished (you can't use magic and this is very limited...) but it's enjoyable and has a lot of adventures.

11. brock

brock Kobold

I gave this a try and had fun with it. It has a really easy interface and some fun adventures. It almost sated my desire to play Card Hunter. Almost.

12. brock

brock Kobold

I've been getting really interested in board games like Descent and Super Dungeon Explore lately, and I started thinking about why that is. It came back to this thread, and ultimately to Card Hunter. If I can just hold out until the beta, I think I can save myself from pricey physical board games.

I'm not sure I can make it. Super Dungeon Explore looks really fun.

13. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Super Dungeon Explore does look fun. If you do buy it please let us know if it's as fun as it seems.

Then go play Card Hunter :)