Legendary find!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Wozarg, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Shoat

Shoat Kobold

Not the end of the world, just an annoyance for anyone who wants to bask in the glory of your legendary stuff.

2. Zameon

Zameon Kobold

I found these two so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. xVoid

xVoid Kobold

I am just going to assume this is attached to a Legendry... oneshot my warrior with all out attack too :c

Attached Files:

4. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

It does come from a Legendary item called, The Hackmaster.

5. The_Mormegil

The_Mormegil Mushroom Warrior

DAMN that Hack is HUUUUUGE. :-/ I don't like that. Having cards that deal that amount of damage is unhealthy. If you find one Obliterating or Almighty attack, double it with All-Out Attack (you can have at least 2 on your Fighter, possibly more)... it one-shots designated tanks. That's a little bit unfair, you should have a chance to retreat or counter them. I know it's not uncounterable, that you can Parry it, that there's ways to stop that and everything, but it's such a huge payoff for the gamble that it makes the game feel a bit... random. :-/

P.S.: up until now, I have found only Reynoldo's Boots

6. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I disagree, The_Mormegil. You have many, many ways to counter (or weaken) such Attacks, and there's nothing "unfair" if everyone has the same chance at getting and using such cards. As you say, a single Parry will do. So will a single Force Bolt! Devoting your strategy to "wow, I have this amazing card, all I have to do is get into range and I'll win" means that you are NOT doing all sorts of defensive or long-term maneuvers that let you deal with enemy counters.

7. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

8. The_Mormegil

As I emphasized in my post, my problem is not how powerful that card is or how it is unbeatable. It's just that being able to one-shot tanks turns the whole battle into kind of a russian roulette. It's a such a huge variance in the results. I like smaller variance games.

9. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

True, but it's ridiculously uncommon to have that item. So, while it exists - it's not likely an issue. I never got anything with a card like that during my beta phases.

10. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I had a team that dominated pvp early in the beta based on obliterating hack and all out attack not only is it too far fetched of a combo but as soon as people started to field parry i actually flat out lose games to saving up for the combo and getting 2 for 0 ed i cant imagine adding 4 damage is going to make it more viable

11. Sir Knight

Hmm, then don't play Stratego. Are you familiar with that game? There is one piece that instantly kills every other piece in the game, by a natural progression of numbers (number 1 beats number 2, 3, and so on), except for a couple of weak points (bombs, the spy piece). In fact, "trump cards" are pretty common in a lot of games.

Now, in Card Hunter multiplayer, you have uniform character levels and talents. Blue Manchu is hard at work balancing THIS VERY CONCERN, ensuring that you can only draw so many copies of a card at a certain talent level. Did you see any of the discussion of Resistant Hide? People were very worried that it was a trump card, and now you can only get it on Robe items. Even then, I don't believe there's a single Robe with 3 copies.

So how about the card that concerns you right now? How many copies can one character in multiplayer have? Perhaps 1 per weapon, or 3 total. Just guessing. But if so, then you can PLAN for it just as you plan for the "trump" piece in other strategy games.

Edit: Oh, right, and if a player DOES spend 3 bronze talents and 3 clear talents on 3x The Hackmaster, then, of course, they're crippling themselves for any other strategic situation. There's no "roulette" when such a player defeats my single Warrior and then is plastered against a wall by low-level Force Bolts. In fact, I would love to see this happen, as it would teach a nice lesson to immature players who think "wow, I deal raw damage, therefore I WIN!"

12. Shoat

Shoat Kobold

It's not viable whatsoever compared to more consistent approaches.

What you should be scared of is a warrior who is stacked up on attack cards with around 10 damage plus utility effects (flaming stabs, vicious thrusts, obliterating chops) without any weak attacks or drawback cards mixed in. The items with those sets are way more valuable than items with one godly card and a bunch of mediocre ones (and yes, in the context of a max level legendary requiring square talents, the 8 damage hacks are indeed "mediocre" comparatively).
    Before the last reset I had such a set of ridiculous items and even though I had one of my guys oneshot killed every now and then (even Melvin does that sometimes) it rarely led to a defeat, most of the time the warriors trying to focus on such huge hits were completely useless throughout the rest of the battle.

13. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

And now we return you to your regularly scheduled programing:

Add Yount's Chain to the list! :D

14. Baravis

Baravis Kobold

I was lucky enough to find these with my level 6 adventuring party yesterday--I'd only been in the game for two days!

legendary 1.png legendary 2.png

15. Shoat

Shoat Kobold

Been playing a bit again since the reset (stuck on Against Cockroaches III, stupid door :/).

Anyway, I found about 3 legendary pieces of trash (not worth mentioning in detail due to being too common and useless besides the 100 gold each they grant) as well as http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Items/St._Tesrim's_Corona and http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Items/Perrio%27s_Kinetic_Robes.

Pretty neat to have access to Reliable Mail and Mass Frenzy this early on.

Also, it seems like legendary drop rate has increased significantly since the reset - last time I didn't find any legendary items until around level 15-ish and now I have found five already even though I invested only about half the time into the game since. Then again, 3/5 of those were just gold-tokens.

16. The_Mormegil

(Tip for the door: just Hot Spot it. I had way more troubles with the cockroaches than the door tbh.)

17. Drew Nelson

Drew Nelson Mushroom Warrior

Similarly, I used acid on it. That got rid of its 'door armor' and let me murder it.

18. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I find this statement targeted and hurtful!

19. Sir Knight

No, see, the difference is this: you personally deal damage, AND you personally win.

20. Shoat

Shoat Kobold

I tend to just Hot Spot it as well. The problem is not killing the door but the initial seperation it causes, thus having only two party members for the cockroaches - afterwards those two will be too injured.

Dealing with Poisoned Pseudopod afterwards is near impossible, it instantly removes armor and deals 14 damage. At level 10. With a half-dead party. Even the Dragon scenario later on doesn't put the player in such a dire situation.

I can deal with 10 cockroaches while only having two party members and while Stink Bombs come flying from halfway across the map, and I could deal with fighting Melvin in close quarters with only two party members after he slaughtered the third, but both together are too much.

Anyway, back to topic:
    Found Porior's Nimble Mace - might have been okay if I had found it earlier, but kind of disappointing when you have access to enough talents for Surging Battleaxe or Acrobat's Blade.