Leveling

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by lordnivek1, May 15, 2013.

1. lordnivek1

lordnivek1 Kobold

I Recently got my invite and have spent a couple nights playing the game this week. I have been having fun but as my party levels it seems they keep getting less and less powerful. Nearly every level I get a new equipment slot forcing me to take more cards that I dont want to take. For me it has made the game become less fun because I have so many cards I dont want. Every level lowers my chance of getting a card I want by X% because I have to add more cards. Is that the intent? To increase the difficulty by deluding a players deck? I dont feel like there is any reward for leveling other then health. I know I am only level 7 and dont have the best cards, but it becomes a pain when the biggest factor in an adventure comes mainly down to what I draw and not any strategy. I have yet to play PvP and maybe that will be better for me as each player has the same number of cards. Would be nice if all but the starting slots could be deactivated if you dont want them or less cards attached to each item. Just my thoughts.

2. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

As you level you get "talents" to spend on better kit, but I take your point about more cards = less change to pull that one card you want. There are deck manipulation cards that help with this, which you'll see later in the game.

The game gradually introduces slots as you level as you'll be accumulating more loot to fill the slots, I think. Once you have them all open, you'll see the different build choices available to you.

3. lordnivek1

lordnivek1 Kobold

The DM guide did say something about talents when I think my warrior hit 7 but could not figure out what exactly he was talking about. It was at the open treasure chest screen when I got it and didnt see what he was talking about other then it looked like i got like a dot added under my character cut out figure. I was pretty tired and heading to bed so I must have missed something.

4. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

That "dot" is a talent. It is a resource that gets used to equip more powerful items. As you increase in level you find new equipment that requires one or even two (for weapons) talents to equip, but these items in turn generally have better card suites associated with them.

5. lordnivek1

lordnivek1 Kobold

Ok, thank you for the information on talents. Tried playing today for a bit but really really bugs me for some reason that I have to fill my deck with a bunch of stuff I dont want and my enemy doesnt lol. Why do I have to have 3 weapons if I do not want to carry 3 weapons? Anyways, probably is just me since I dont see anyone else complaining about it :)

6. Gray

Gray Mushroom Warrior

I dont think its just you - you are coming up against the challenge of deck building that exists in any card collection / CCG type game. Where the game enforces a minimum deck size you will have to wait longer before your are sure to get the card (or combination of cards when synergies come into play) that you desire. The key to such situations is to build a deck that will keep you in the game until you get the card you need.

I think an important lesson in Card Hunter is not to sell all your spare loot - only things you are certain you won't need. As I have found new items, I have discovered that other items I wasn't using become more valuable because they add a different balance of cards to the deck. And when you get more slots to fill - make sure you fill them with useful stuff.

For me the greatest weakness of Card Hunter is there is nowhere for me to go and test decks. No repeatable single player adventures, or proving ground, or training ground - I have to wait until tomorrow to try out a different mix / deck and I find that frustrating. (Or of course I could push on with the campaign - but as a tester and RPGer at heart I want to prepare properly before setting off to save mankind, or at least Ommlet).

Gray

7. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

You can test your decks in casual mp, Gray - but I agree a "danger room" kind of thing without xp to test deck builds vs ai would be nice.

8. lordnivek1

lordnivek1 Kobold

The deck building in this game to me isnt really comapable to your normal deck building game. By taking groups of cards that almost seem randomly generated and dont go together to being forced to play with different rules (deck size) then your opponent. Add in that there is no discard so you have the same chance every draw of getting the cards you do not need. Your not strategically using the cards you known are left or making plans based on what might be coming next. Instead of discarding back into my deck let me discard a card from play. I know they are trying to do something "new" but it just seems broken that every draw from the start I have the same % chance of drawing X card because the deck size is almost always the same. Which makes the game nearly a pure luck game rather then the stratagy of a use it and loose it play style. May be I am wrong about the mechanics but it appears every card I use or discard is just randomly shuffled back into the deck?

9. Pengw1n

There are cards that discard to draw and similar, so maybe you've just not seen to much of what is available yet - and building your deck by combining different card suites on different items, is a challenge and a part of the game...

And cards you play enter discard, unless it's a trait (or an attachment - then it enters discard when it runs out)... so not sure what you meant there. Maybe you misunderstood how it actually works and missed that the discard exist (not sure how)? Decks get reshuffled once you or your opponent's deck size is 0 - and you need to draw.

10. lordnivek1

lordnivek1 Kobold

Well it looked like when ever I discard or use a card it god shuffled back into the black deck? which i thought was your main deck and the white deck your movement. You draw one white card and two black each turn?

11. Pengw1n

No, one is your deck and one is your discard - why would we draw from two decks? The number below the black deck is your number of discarded cards. The number below your white is your current deck size (which increases the more slots you get - the reason for there being more weapon slots et c, as to make them more likely to get drawn). Seems you misunderstood the game fundamentally based on a misstaken assumption. Hopefully this makes the game more enjoyable to you! :)

12. lordnivek1

lordnivek1 Kobold

Thank you for your time explaining stuff. Lol thought that's what I read during the tutrotial. So seeing that it helps a little, game just isnt what I was hoping/looking for. As a hybrid game it doesn't take the things from minuture/rpg games and card games that i enjoy. Was hoping for actual characters and control over what's in my deck. Best of luck to you all and hope you have fun :)

13. TofuPotato

TofuPotato Kobold

As for your unwanted cards, think of it this way. Every item has an item budget. This budget increases with level and rarity. Each piece of equipment provides 3/6 cards, with the value of the type of cards within totaling up to the item's budget. The card you want is obviously a good card but it is balanced by having it come attached with weaker (but not useless! this distinction is important) cards. In exchange, there is no limit to the number of that card you can carry, you are just at a level where the item budget doesn't allow for all 3 of the cards from the item to be the same "good" card.

I'm going to assume that you're familiar with MtG if you're a card game fan. It's like if you could put any number of Black Lotuses in your library (instead of 4) but in exchange you need to bring 2 lands that enter play tapped for every Black Lotus you include. Without such a balance mechanic, the game instantly reeks of pay to win. Imagine MtG tournaments where everyone carries as many Black Lotuses as they want with no drawbacks. The deck building aspect of CH revolves around evaluating a sets of cards instead of singular cards, which is a fresh take and may not suit your tastes but there is definitely control.

Besides, there are plenty of "unwanted" cards in most card games like MtG as well. Say your win condition of choice is a surprise one turn phyrexian dreadnought. Then your ideal deck would be something like one black lotus, one phyrexian dreadnought, one stifle and one chaos charm. But obviously you can't since there's a minimum deck size. You could fill most of the gaps with multiple copies of each card (only 4) and lots of tutors but it doesn't change the fact that they are fillers to to reach this ideal situation. They are still unwanted cards per say. If you do, in fact, know a card game without any useless cards what so ever, please introduce them to me :) .

14. lordnivek1

lordnivek1 Kobold

Maybe I didnt say it correctly, but i hate them making me take cards I dont want. I dont want them to force cards in my deck I want to choose every card. would greatly just preffer the standard min max on cards/decks used by most games. By useless I mean cards I dont want in my deck build but have to due to the random crap that is attached to each card. Dont like it never will, got control issues i gues haha. I if i make a pure black deck i am not forced to add in some crappy white cards just for filler, this games does force you to take cards out of your build strat. Anyways some people may like it I dont.

15. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Cards are what Items are made up of and you must take all cards if you want to equip the Item.

Deckbuilding strategy is how you select and equip your items for your build. Some Items have better cards than others...

16. lordnivek1

lordnivek1 Kobold

?? I know that is what I am say I dislike about the game. I hate being forced to take cards that dont go with my build strat??

17. Pengw1n

Well, the aim of the game is to find better and better items so you can max out cards you actually want for your build (compare it to buying boosters). It's a challenge in itself - and if you don't like the system, then you're right - the game is likely not for you, as it's one of the core components of Cardhunter.

18. TofuPotato

TofuPotato Kobold

Oh of course, I just wanted to clarify that that the game balances deck building in a very different form than the typical 4 piece maximum in many tcgs and it may not appeal to everyone. You are free to seek out games that suit your tastes without a doubt and we aren't trying to force it down your throat. Hmmm personally I don't think it's as bad as white cards in a black deck. More like not cards that do not directly assist your specific win condition. Analogies aside, could you provide an example of your frustrations ? Eg. are you trying to build some kind of chop build on your warrior with nothing but chops and chop boosting cards ? If so, I assure you that it is perfectly possible (note, includes reasonable assumptions that you do not expect your armor, shield, boots and other non-offensive equipment that would make no sense providing a chop card to provide chops).

If you're fairly early in the game it may simply be that the game at that point is not balanced to have you equipped with such a perfect build. It's like in many digital tcgs where you start with a crappy deck and it grows towards the direction you desire as you gain more boosters.

19. TofuPotato

TofuPotato Kobold

[​IMG]

I call this one the crazy axe murderer. Was this kind of what you were aiming for and were unhappy about weak strikes etc in your deck ?

20. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

And I can summarize my reaction (and, likely, that of most people who enjoy Card Hunter) with this from the earliest days of development:
    This is the largest strategic "draw" the game has. But you don't have to like it. If you really don't want to mess around with card suites, then of course all the games of card-only deckbuilding are still awesome and are still open to you.