Board games!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Megadestructo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

Does anyone have any experience of Super Dungeon Explore? I've been steadily working my way through the D6 Generation podcast archives and just listened to their review of it. I thought it sounded quite interesting so if anyone has any opinions I'd be interested to hear them.

2. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

Me too. It looks nice, but is a bit pricy!

3. Dark Wolfe

Dark Wolfe Orc Soldier

Really been enjoying Discworld: Ankh-Morpork. Not sure if the gameplay is appealing enough to get past the numerous Pratchett references for those who are unfamiliar with the Discworld series, but personally I find it a very appealing game, everyone constantly feels like they just could just almost win next turn if these other bastards would quit being bastards.

4. DukeMyers

DukeMyers Orc Soldier

Sigh axis and allies 1914 just came out.... WWI.... There goes another $100.

5. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

wow. thats 120 € at amazon here in germany... I guess it have to wait, then.

6. DukeMyers

DukeMyers Orc Soldier

Oh I'm waiting..... Just not for long. I love axis and allies.

7. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

I am in the middle of my first game of Twilight Struggle... pretty neat!

8. Oni

Oni Kobold

If you are playing Lords of Waterdeep a lot, you HAVE to get these:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/807557/custom-meeples-updated

The custom Waterdeep meeples make the game so much better thematically. Very much worth pimping out your copy. The wife and I love ours.

Weve been paying a lot of the Lord of the Rings LCG. One of the best 2 player coop games available out there.

Also check out Dungeon Command if you havent had the chance to as well. Very well developed game. Lots of tactical miniatures fun. A bit of deckbuilding if you want to expand it.

X-Wing is pretty fun too. I had to download a soundboard onto my phone the last time I played it so I could go PEW PEW every time the Millenium Falcon blew away another TIE Fighter. Simultaneous action programming has always been a fun mechanic to me.

Summoner Wars is a great well developed game. Tactical miniatures/Card game. The master set is a WHOLE lot of game for one box.

Im lucky in that my wife is actually the one who got me into boardgaming (with Arkham Horror of all games). She works at a boardgame store. Great times :)

9. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

haha, X-wing is really nice, I have to try it out with star wars music! :)

I have to check out Dungeon Command, it looks quite nice.

10. Thorals

Thorals Kobold

1. Hero Quest
    2. Space Crusade
    3. Warhammer 40k
    4. Space Hulk

11. Truhlsrohk

Truhlsrohk Kobold

Thunderstone, Rune Age, Lord of The Rings, Dragonheart

12. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Eclipse is now on iOS. I have found another addiction as setting up the actual, physical copy of that game is arduous at best.

13. Oni

Oni Kobold

Check out Leviatans Warships and Ace Patrol on iOS.

14. viscarussia

viscarussia Kobold

I've been playing Android Netrunner lately and it has been really cool! (so far I only have the core set but I'm definitely going to pick up the data packs!).

Also I've played Eclipse and Galaxy Trucker and they are really fun.

15. Urist McDorf

Urist McDorf Kobold

Mage Knight - very long, steep learning curve, but man it's amazing if you're up for a complex boardgame.
    Eclipse - A 4x boardgame with simple yet deep mechanics. A good choice if you want something less involved or shorter than Twilight Imperium.
    Pandemic - A very good cooperative game, though it suffers from a common problem plaguing (no pun intended) co-op games - an obvious leader emerging and taking control of others' actions. Same can be said about Ghost Stories.

Can anyone recommend any games with assymetrical play (teams on at least one side preferred, like in Descent or Middle-Earth Quest) or co-op with traitors?

On the note of Descent - second edition is truly amazing. It's got so much... I dunno, meatiness? It just feels like a very complete game, and the decision to include a campaign with the base game was great. That said, it's not really balanced (there're a lot of "winning" combinations), so that might deter you. Still, it's an amazing ameritrash (and I mean that as a compliment) game.

Also, can't praise enough of Shut Up & Sit Down (old site, with earlier entries).

16. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

first thing that comes to mind is the Battle Star Galactica Boardgame by FFG. It's co-op with traiters and I heard a lot of good things about it. A firend of mine has a copy but we still havent found the time to play a game yet, unfortunally.

Megadestructo likes this.
  17. Urist McDorf

Urist McDorf Kobold

Ah, yeah, I know about that one, as well as Shadows Over Camelot. Both great games, but I haven't played them much so can't recommend them as I don't know them well enough.

Megadestructo likes this.
  18. SigioCroceus

SigioCroceus Kobold

Arkham Horror, Catan, Stone Age !

19. Ezekremiah

Ezekremiah Kobold

I can very highly recommend BSG, as my local group have played it quite a few times (including all of the expansions - eagerly awaiting the latest planned one).

Basically, everyone starts as a Human player but you are dealt a Loyalty card face-down at the start of the game. This card determines whether you are actually a Human player (and hence trying to achieve the normal win-conditions), or you're a Cylon player (and hence trying to secretly destroy the Humans and prevent them from winning) without being outed as a Cylon (after which point you move to a separate area of the board). I won't go into detail on all of the mechanics, but it involves a lot of secrecy, paranoia, and suspicion amongst the players (very good for those with a good poker-face).

The base-game alone is very good, so I'd recommend playing that a few times before you consider any expansions.

Grombak likes this.
  20. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

BSG is awesome in that regard. Also look into the Game of Thrones board game if you want to lose friends/loved ones over a 6-hour session ;)

Grombak likes this.