Adventures/Campaigns Board Generation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Golthan, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Golthan

Golthan Kobold

Hello everyone, new here to the Card Hunter Forum. I was browsing through the forum and couldn't find a related topic but here goes.

What I am curious about is that when you are playing a level, say one in the graveyard. Is the level always going to be the same for everyone that play them? Will spawning placements be the same for your characters/enemies? Traps in different locations? Level design/structure different like the entrance to the tomb/catacombs is on another part of the board? Other structures like walls, terrain, be generated in different ways?

I was thinking of a few ways this could be done...if they are in place or not, I'm not sure.

There are a set number of boards that the campaign will go through for each battle. Such as the first battle will be selected randomly between 5 boards to use. Or possibly even the levels are generated randomly.

So, Blue Manchu and the Card Hunter community, what goes on with the creation of the levels? I'm fairly curious to know.

2. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

I think the short answer is that we, the fans, don't know either.

So far, we have just the one preview of the board editor. That does show Farbs placing six spawn points for each side -- since you only get three characters, it's a safe bet that there is some randomness in the spawn locations. Beyond that, most of what you ask would probably involve having more than one map for each battle in the module. It's certainly doable, but nobody on the outside knows about it yet. We just keep checking the site, hoping the next dev diary will answer all our questions. :)

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Right now boards are fixed except for spawning. So, yes, each time you play the battle the board will be set up the same way apart from where you and the monsters start (or your opponent in MP).

We do have some more ideas for varying things but they're fairly low on the priority list right now.

4. Golthan

Golthan Kobold

Thank you Jon for clairfying. At least you guys have ideas for "varying thing" even though it's on the low end of the list. Again, thank you.

5. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Just assuming the monters dont react the same way to different party setups and movements. That in its self provides enough replayability. Another thing if the monsters do something drastically different when im making the exact same moves as last time would make things more fun.