Insane item duplication in shop after patch?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Pengw1n, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

In my lvl 11 shop - I have a 11x dupe of Reverberating Shield, 6x Scarlet Staff, 6x Glowing Ring, 4x Inspirational Mail . Don't tell me that's random - there has to be some kind of seed issue here? The 4x one I can grudlingly accept as plausible but other than that I have some 2-3 dupes that seems more legit in terms of odds.

No dupe more than 3 in lvl 6 store and lvl 1 store has 5x Cloudy Circlet - which as a solo item, I can guess happens.

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I see the same sort of pattern: a bunch of duplicates in the high- and low-level stores, but not much in the middle. I'm guessing it has to do with this:
    And this (from the same log):
    They probably removed a large number of common and uncommon items from high and low levels. With the regular shops required to stock those, they give out duplicates more regularly than we're used to them doing.

Thus, technically, this isn't a bug: just math.

3. Pengw1n

True - but as I get the same duped items today in unreasonable amounts, it's likely something off rather than the # of potential items. Any kind of "issues" could be considered a bug, be it wonky math (due to changes in availability) or bad code. Shouldn't I report it just because it semantically isn't a bug? ;)

Either way, today:

5x Glowing Ring, 5x Reverberating Shield, 6x Scarlet Staff - not as bad as yesterday's tally, but it's obvious certain items are more likely to show up - as it's the same items that get duped (3 out of 4 from yesterdays lvl 11 shop) and nothing else is close to these item's numbers. I'll check again tomorrow.

4. Sir Knight

Well, if it's the SAME items, then that could be a bug. It implies something less-than-random in the "random code," or maybe rolling off the bottom of a list and always hitting the same items thereafter, or who-knows-what.

I was talking about "well, if there are only (for example) 80 items from which to choose, and the game has to choose 100, then of course there will be multiple copies."

5. irongamer

irongamer Orc Soldier

Yeah, something odd going on.

Items with duplicates:
    Beggar's Maul x5
    Scarlet Staff x7

No other divine weapons. :(

store_bug_2.png store_bug1.png

6. irongamer

irongamer Orc Soldier

Meh, the function would be better if it made more than one unique item per category and limited the number of duplicates.

7. Sir Knight

And so I repeat myself: I was talking about "well, if there are only (for example) 80 items from which to choose, and the game has to choose 100, then of course there will be multiple copies." This would be the hypothetical situation where all 80 items show up in the store and then the computer must make 20 redundant items after that point.

Obviously, if the actual situation is that next to nothing in a category is showing up, then that's a different concern from having everything in the category show up and then start repeating.

8. irongamer

irongamer Orc Soldier

Yeah, I understand. I also read it the first time. I don't really care how it is happening. It is something that should be addressed and no doubt will (through more items added to the game or by revising the function that stocks the store).

9. Sir Knight

Ehh, not worth explaining myself a third time when the message I'm trying to explain is "I was wrong."

10. Pengw1n

Daily item dupe report:

Lvl 11 shop (all dupes 4 and above) : 5x Glowing Ring, 4x Grey Leather Boots, 5x Reverberating Shield, 4x Scarlett Staff . 3 out of 4 are the same as usual.

Lvl 6 shop: No dupes 4 and above (lots of 2x and 3x, but that feels reasonably random)

Lvl1: Cleaver 4x (lots of 2x and 3x).

11. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I agree that this needs to be addressed. I'd love to hear more thoughts on how you think the shops SHOULD work in the various threads devoted to that topic.