First impressions thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Jon, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Ah HA! Sounds like you might be interested in this proposed solution:
    Thus you'd be able to tell immediately that the high-level skills go into a slot you'll unlock in the future. Jon said he liked this suggestion.

skip_intro likes this.
  2. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

Yes, that sounds like it would be more visually suggestive and similar to interfaces in other RPG-esque games.

3. Meulie

Meulie Kobold

Owkay, i didn't read any other comments, so here's my first impression. I'm 36, been playing d&d since i was 16 and had my share of magic cards pass my hands. I'm now a father of 3 kids ans my game time has decreased significantly....this all to say that since i played cardhunter I have had lots and lots of fun feeling like i'm going into a dungeon and having a combat that is challenging and exciting. The random card draw effect adds that extra touch of tension. I'm only lvl 4 with my first 3 chars so not that far in, but enjoying it a lot. First thing I ask myself as a d&d player tough is "are there more classes to come bisde figther/cleric/mage". We all love, backstabbing thieves, Rangers, Barbarians....not that the needs them atm but it's the first impression i make and i can immagine this is possible. I realy like the short, sometimes funny, intro's to an adventure, the map layout and the details like an easaser or a d12 on the table. Second thing I ask myself instantly is "in multiplayer, will I be able to play with my friends" not against each other, but 3 peeps each on char and take on an adventure? Most of my friends are also married with childeren and we hardly get to play d&d pen and paper version, this would be a great game to play togheter.

I could go on and on but the point i'm trying to make is that first impression of this game is "OMG THIS IS FRIGGIN GREAT !!!"

4. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

The devs have said that they've been saving some cards for thieves (meaning thieves may get added before the release version). Other classes may be coming later.

Co-op is in the devs own wish list so although it probably won't make it to the release version, it's going to get added sooner or later.

irongamer likes this.
  5. irongamer

irongamer Orc Soldier

These are two of my most anticipated features! Moar classes and adventures with friends!

6. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

The woodholme scenario was heaps of fun - though I was multitasking at work and had a female client come down while I was one on one with the last zombie and my mage was on one HP. I was a bit distracted and so the mage went down :( The client, however, stayed up.

Im finding I seem to be swamped with unreliable blocks, walks and dashs when I need some offensive cards the most. Tweaking items may be required here, but it can be frustrating to be dealt nerf hands. Is there an easier way to skew towards drawing attack cards?

I've also inadvertently purchased an item that is too high of a level. When I went to re-sell it back at the shop I had to sell at a loss. Will future builds be more understanding with inventory mistakes?

Having a ball - though it is a bit of a time sink.

7. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Do you mean talent cost, rather than level?

8. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

No, just level cost. I could afford the gold component, but didnt pay too much attention. Oops.

Also, I think I've painted myself into a corner now. Essentially I have all level 6 characters close to levelling but the only mission left is the kobold pass one and I just can't beat the first stage. I even sold my entire inventory to get a chest to see if I could perhaps magically pick up a sword of smackdown or something, but no luck. So basically with no way forward, and no way to progress, I'm stuffed :(

Buuuut now I've figured out the additional missions. I'll try some of those and come back for those bloody kobolds.

9. Sir Knight

Close to leveling? Close enough that you could get it if you beat Ruby Demon Portal (2 XP at your level), or one of the level 5 modules (4 XP at your level)?

10. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

I'm good now, Im just doing the additional quests and picking up some better items/cards. The kobold mission is still difficult, but I'm making progress. Its just frustrating that you get one offensive card amongst three characters on some turns.

11. Sir Knight

Oh, if you're talking about quests, which ones do you mean? No deaths? 1 HP? Only drawbacks? All of 'em?

Seriously, level up and then come back later. Since you don't get XP from a quest, you might as well give yourself all advantages you can.

12. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

Yeah I thought I could only level by completing the regular adventures. I then noticed that they were replayable for certain win conditions (a great mechanic for replayability). So I'm doing the "No Deaths" one and also just replaying the regular zombie mission for XP.

The loot I'm getting is improving my deck, specifically the hotspot card. It's good for the kobold mission. Got them down to four left before dying. If I wasnt so busy, Id write some poor fan fiction lol

mightymushroom likes this.
  13. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

I hear that!

14. Sir Knight

Yes, high damage to a single target that bypasses all blocks is very useful. For masses of such jerks, I like to flush out the blocks with area-of-effect; then my other weaker attacks get more work done.

15. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

Kobolds are simple creatures, however.

16. RoflCat

RoflCat Goblin Champion

At least I'll take on army of kobolds over having to fight those Frozen Earth Trogs anyday 'A ' dem armors.

Especially since my wizard pack 2 Mighty Spark, 2 Acid Jet (the same one Greenfang use, which means at least 3 damage on-hit in that line) 6 Hot Spots and 1 Firestorm
    Admittedly I'd like that lv 6 legendary ring with Short Perplexing Ray (that thing is awesome) and 2 Firestorm instead, but unlucky beggars can't be chooser ' 3'
    I have no trouble murdering Kobolds en masse, if anything the 2nd part of White Star left me slightly dozing off waiting for those kobolds to get past the difficult terrain so I can murder them in that open room (and sadly if I ever rush over to the small passageway and drop Acid Jet, they'll all just sit back outside of it and cry . -. wasting more of my time)

17. Sir Knight

That's a different matter. It's supposed to be menacing, but instead it's too slow.

For one thing, the order that minions in a group take their moves leads a number of these Kobolds to move "too early," where they can't see a clear spot ahead of them (Kobolds are in the way in these narrow halls) and they choose to stand still instead. I wonder if this comes from the order that models are placed on the board; and whether that's up to the programmers or just plain random.

If it's random, then there's nothing that will solve the problem, and I think this type of map with minion groups just won't be fun.

18. RoflCat

RoflCat Goblin Champion

I believe that while there's a turn order in the group itself (i.e. Kobold A always move before Kobold B), the actual starting position in the 5 square they will start on is randomized (the same apply the player party)

I think the 2 sets of difficult terrain makes that fight far too easy since you'll always get a stream of 1 Kobold at a time after the initial 5.
    I think that either:
    A) Expand in path in the middle to 2 width and make the difficult terrain only 1 block long (but still cover the width of the path)
    B) Remove the difficult terrain or reduce it to 1 block so there's less congestion.
    C) Change the starting positions, like moving the player to that middle room instead so it's similar to the first area with pincer attack coming (until the wizard pulls out Acid Jet/Wall of Fire/Hot Spots so one side of the Kobolds just have to sit there and cry...or jump into fire and die)

19. GeoRevilo

GeoRevilo Kobold

I played single player up until the part where multiple quests opened up on the map and my party was full and then I played one multiplayer game. I didn't really know what was going on because i haven't really read anything about the gameplay since the trailer in 2011. I thought it was really fun. Single player was pretty simple and straightforward but the potential depth was very clear. It very much reminded me of a lot of the parts of DnD 4.0 that I enjoyed and none of the parts I didn't. There wasn't a part of those single player matches I didn't enjoy. The multiplayer was also very fun. I just kind of jumped in without much direction and i was using my party from single player because i didn't realize you could by more. The multiplayer could use a little more inherent direction just as far as the goals. Going in I assumed my goal was to kill all the enemy units and then I saw that i was also getting stars for holding that center area and I thought that the stars might just be exp that carries over through multiplayer. I didn't realize what they were until my opponent had collected all but one. If the stars were labeled as victory points or something like that i would make it a lot clearer what the goal of multiplayer was even without a written tutorial or explanation. Outside of that one thing though everything else was pretty clearly represented i pretty much knew that the gold area was to get more rewards and such.

I was wondering if there was ever going to be a more DnD like multiplayer mode where you could be a dungeon master. I'm assuming pizza is something you buy with real money so adding Maps, Heroes, and Emeny packs that you can purchase with pizza slices to be used in personal campaigns that you can your friends can play in where you control the monsters would be really cool. I would invest time and money into that. Playing through that tutorial made me feel like this would be a really fun game to play with friends as a kind of DnD replacement.

Also shout outs to Lance who game me a little help in the multiplayer lobby.

20. Sir Knight

Hey, since posting this, have you come across the victory square/point tutorial in single-player? The information is indeed in the game. But your case makes it clear that it's needed somewhere in multiplayer, too.