Game Text Bugs

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Dugrim, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

Wizard's Workshop
    Battle 2
    "Bruzzud [...]. He is a formidable oppponent"

After third battle
    "You shudder [...]! What was Aloyso (it's Aloyzo on the module) doing?"

Lair of the Trog Wizard

Battle 1
    "A malodorous [...]. Ambush!. (dot after exclamation point)"

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

He is just that formidable of a opponent that he needs a extra p clearly.

3. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

Thank you Dugrim. I'll make these changes today. Keep 'em coming!

4. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

There is a few unnecessary numbers in some of the adventure briefing pages as well, brought that up with Jon - maybe they were already removed. Think there was an "2" included in the text block for 2nd map of Wizard's tower and the 2nd map of Caverns of the Troglodytes - which is unnecessary due to the briefing already being numbered. Might be others.

5. Card Hunter Joe

I took these out of the internal build today. You'll see that changed in the next build.

ParodyKnaveBob and Pengw1n like this.
  6. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

Dungeon of the Lizard Priest
    Battle 1
    "Lizardmen guards greet with you menacing, [...]"

7. Card Hunter Joe

Fixed in the next build! Thanks again.

8. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Now that we're on a different build, I guess I'll repost what I wrote in the 1.18 build thread.

I just played The Wizard's Workshop and saw the new Gary text. Module and Gary text now seem a little conflicted. Is the module text written for the "Dungeon Master's" perspective? In that case, it's distracting for us to see it. Gary is our Dungeon Master, after all. And his speech doesn't necessarily match the module text anyway. (The kitchen gets destroyed? Same with the top of the tower, apparently.) [Edit: and a "saving throw"? That's just going to confuse players.]

And then there's an issue of timing. Is Gary supposed to be talking "over" the module text? Because he does, which looks funny and also interferes. In fact, it really looks like we're supposed to read the module text first, and then hear Gary comment when on the game screen (either right at the start of the first round, or at the end of the winning round). [Edit: obviously, this isn't the case on every single bit of text. The example of the Bruzzud one, above, really belongs in the battle and not before it.]

9. Card Hunter Joe

Hey SirKnight - I read your original post and I've gone through and made the factual corrections you you've pointed out. I take your points. We wanted to have the text on the modules read a lot like the room descriptions from a classic D&D module. This gives them a different voice to Gary. Also, we wanted to make sure that Gary is limited to very short bursts because we want to get you back into the game as quickly as possible (there's nothing worse than clicking through pages of story in a video game). That doesn't give us much to work with! Having said that, this is a first draft and needs lot of work and I'm sure it will change a lot from this first beta!

10. Sir Knight

Well, it sounds like its going to be a fun job putting together a presentation like this. Not too many places have tried. Best of luck!

11. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

If possible, maybe Gary shouldn't pop-up until you're on the actual map? That might not make sense for all of the current dialogue - but that might alleviate the double text-case.

12. irongamer

irongamer Orc Soldier

When choosing a warrior at the standard ration
    Gary’s text: Click a tab to choose an Dwarven, Human or Elven warrior, then recruit one.

Should that "AN" be "A"? An Dwarven sounds odd. I could see an being used if the race list started with Elven.

13. Sir Knight

Question: is Gary's text supposed to appear the first time you play an adventure, or every time? When I click on The Wizard's Workshop, he "introduces" me every time; when I click on Lair of the Trog Wizard, he no longer does so (after introducing it the very first time).

14. Card Hunter Joe

Hey guys - we're going to do another edit of this to try make Gary's voice distinctive from that of the module text. Stay tuned. It's might to take a while to get this right so please bear with us as we stumble through this. Sir Knight - re: the repeating messages, this is something I put in when I'm testing it and I forgot to take it out. Gary's text will appear just the first time you play it.

irongamer likes this.
  15. Sir Knight

Cool.

For the record, I'm warming to this presentation. Once I mentally change gears, it's cool to see all sides of the "tabletop experience."

It is, nonetheless, a weird sort of deal at first: the module cover, and Gary, and the page of text on the right all give "introductions," so the reader can't know which one "to read first" (i.e., what sets up the narrative). Also, at least on my resolution, Gary's end-of-battle text covers up some of the loot chest--not a helpful visual.

Edit: Also, after beating the first battle of Dungeon of the Lizard Priest, Gary says "creatures are low as Lizardmen" (should be "as low") and "These foe" (should be "foes").

16. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

I agree, it would be better if Gary's texts were only shown at the start/end of battles, not on top of the module texts. The current way is just needlessly confusing.

17. Meulie

Meulie Kobold

Hi, I might be nitpicking here but so far 2 spelling errors i've seen.

in the tutorial "raid on ommlet" old man says "help, monsters are attacking the our village". It should be the village or our village, not bouth :)

secondly in the tutorial, you still have just one character but there is a line where it says "...ambushes the player as they enter the village" this should probably ben as "he" or "she" "enters" the village, there is no "they" as you are only on char at that moment.

Just trying to help make this already great looking game become even better ;)

18. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

19. Card Hunter Joe

Fixed! Thanks for reporting!

20. Sir Knight

Rescue from Shieldhaven Prison seems to have an interesting pizza-related conversation at the start. Gary's last text is supposed to be choppy, I know, but it still has problems: "Oh.Um." has no space in the middle, "do like" should say "do you like," and I think the hyphenated sentence at the end needs a hyphen in "I mean."

Then, when going into the module, there should probably be a comma in "Right there."