More stars showed than required to win a battle (Minor)

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Dugrim, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

Temple of Terror, Battle 1: 1 star more
    Black Oaken Heart, Battle 3: 2 stars more.

If someone find other quests "bugged", please post here so we don't have redundant thread.

2. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Great idea, please note further battles like this in this thread.

3. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

Kobold Encampment, 2nd battle: 1 star more.

4. Jayce

Jayce Hydra

Tree Forts of the Goblin King:
    1st (Light Brigade) - 3 Stars short.
    2nd (Platform Guards) - 2 Stars short.

5. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Do we have a thread for too FEW stars yet? Because the first level in Melvelous the Magnificent currently has one too few. You can "kill" Melvelous and then kill two Orcs, and you'll still win while the third is staring at you.

6. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Likewise in the first map in Tomb of Tvericus there's now 3 skeletons instead of the old two and I only needed to kill two of them to win.

7. Platouf

Platouf Mushroom Warrior

Hello,

the cave of th wisp have one more star.

Friendly,
    Platouf.

8. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Thanks!

9. crabbadon

crabbadon Kobold

Sir Knight: I believe some games are designed not to require killing all enemies, but am not sure.

Second adventure of White Star, 2 extra.

10. Sir Knight

Yes, but there's always a reason for it when it's done that way. All those servants in Rescue from Shieldhaven are deliberately "zero star" enemies, so you win each map when you kill the armed guards.

In the case of Melvelous, you COULD win the map by killing all enemies so long as you defeat Melvelous LAST: he's a "two star" enemy. Thus, it's entirely possible that the designers just set the requirement one star too small and didn't notice.

11. Jayce

Jayce Hydra

"Lost in the ruins" (penultimate map of Attack of the War Monkeys?) - missing 2 stars (you can win with 2 enemies remaining).

12. Ben_Lee

Ben_Lee Art Director, Chief Executive in charge of Laundry Staff Member

Fixed next release, thanks!

13. Ben_Lee

The Kobold Priest is worth 2 VP

14. Ben_Lee

15. Ben_Lee

Increased to 6 in next release, thanks!

16. Ben_Lee

17. Ben_Lee

Already fixed, thanks!

18. Ben_Lee

I designed both the Melvelous and War Monkey Adventures, and at the time, intended the VP to be skewed that way.
    The reasoning was that if you kill the "boss" enemy early, you don't have to mop up every single leftover minion. I would say that this may be somewhat confusing in retrospect.
    While fixing these up I'm starting to think we also may need to show how many stars a monster is worth in their mouseover summary.

19. Jayce

Jayce Hydra

Final map of "The Wizard's Workshop" - "Workshop Apex" - 1 star too many.

20. Sir Knight

Hmm.

I like the principle. There are plenty of games where you're annoyed to deal with "that single stupid unit running around the map after you've finished the REAL fight." But in Card Hunter, "mopping up" is different, isn't it? Most enemies are a legitimate challenge. And "bosses" are a malleable thing: you have multiple adventures where the boss "dies" in one map but survives to fight in the next one. I don't know if this game really divides things into "the real fight" and "the boring mop-up operation."

While we're at it . . .

For the most part, this game uses victory points as a redundant "kill count." Since the player sees it that way for all the early adventures, a minor variation (like a "bonus for killing the boss early") looks more like an error than a strategic change. Victory points are underutilized in general, and the player would think more in terms of "Okay, how can I earn all the VP I need in this map? Ooh, looks like I can win early if I kill the boss!" if Card Hunter did more with the concept. You know, gave more variety in adventures (beyond just "kill count" and "time spent holding these tiles") and drew more attention to the "VP" mechanic.