Aloyzo's Arsenal Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Jul 29, 2015.

1. squirrat

squirrat Orc Soldier

I mean I put a lot of thought and came up with about 20 or so card ideas and wittled it down to three good ones. I was going to finalize the details by the end of the month. I work full time so I could only re-read the thread and go on the assumption that it ends at the end of the month. I don't even know where you got those quotes from, is it in the main post?

I think this contest should be extended another month, but that's not fair to the people that submitted and I have not had a chance to look at the entries yet.

I was working on the assumption this was a one month contest.

2. orian34

orian34 Orc Soldier

It varies, last month, it closed the 21st. I guess it's really the first half of the month that's safe

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

For whatever it's worth, I tend to give 2 weeks (sometimes plus a few days) for entries.

ParodyKnaveBob, Sir Veza and orian34 like this.
  4. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

@Flaxative How is the item testing going, anything you can share?

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  5. quixote

quixote Orc Soldier

Who won?

6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

It's often announced in conjunction with the next game update.
    Perhaps Mauve Manticore 29 will have 2 guaranteed AA drops. :cool:

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Sorry, I need some more time :X

8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

No problem, bro. I was very surprised when I saw the rules, because coding and play testing something like this is bound to be a heck of a lot of work.

9. squirrat

squirrat Orc Soldier

Wizards need an orange card to attach that gives self heal, like a howl equivalent for spell casters. Orange attachment, each time an attack does damage, Heal 2. Priests have vamp, warriors have howl, it's common sense to make a absorbing energy equivalent for wizards to heal 2 each spell that does damage. This does not count for burning effects. Warriors would bow down to the power of wizards once and for all.

10. orian34

orian34 Orc Soldier

I don't see why wizards should have ways to heal. Some abilities should be spread out for balance reasons.

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I was feeling adventurous, I just need more time than usual (as I mentioned early on I hope)!

12. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

@squirrat, human wizards can Howl, and all wizards can Investigate at least x4, not to mention Healing Dash, elf wizards being able to stack yet more healing movement. Investigate, orange card, heals on allies taking damage (the same amount Howl heals), and isn't a temporary, purgeable attachment which you desire. Have fun! $:^ ]

DARK MAGIC, tolkien and Sir Veza like this.
  13. squirrat

squirrat Orc Soldier

Wizards always need ways to absorb mana energy to heal it's pretty standard RPG convention that is missing in wizard implementation in game. I don't mean that wizards should be given a single howl card on a human trait.

14. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Mana? What is that?

15. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Something that obviously wasn't in the RPGs we played.

16. squirrat

squirrat Orc Soldier

I can't tell if the replies to my posts are meant to be snide, but if you really haven't heard of mana in an RPG game then you never played any game where wizards don't just have a red health meter (I'm sure you have just think a little harder). Implying that Alpha Positioning is a heal for a wizards is not a wizard way to rejuvenate.

Usually wizards recover hitpoints from damage they deal or magic they use.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I assume the replies were partly snide. Many tabletop RPGs never had mana, and the only times I've played a wizard with healing spells was is games that did not have a cleric/priest class.

18. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I wasn't being snide. I've seen mana used for mages, but only for powering spells. In games where mage and priest classes (by whatever name) were separate, I haven't seen healing spells for mages. However, there are tons of RPGs out there, and I've only played about 6, so it may be common in many I haven't played.

19. squirrat

squirrat Orc Soldier

Ok so I made a point that Wizards need an attachment card to regain health every time they deal damage with a spell. The mechanic of using Flash of Agony with Shimmering Aura is similar to how the attachment would behave. Shimmering Aura is mitigates a lot of spell damage so it's close to a wizard heal in a sense it saves damage from Flash Of Agony when you deal damage to enemies.

Card Hunter obviously makes design decisions independent of other RPG because it's a unique game. But one can't argue that healing is only for priests in card hunter (strict class) when in Dnd 5.e, vampirism and polymorph are in the realm of wizards. That means howl in effect is more wizardish, as is wolf and other form cards are wizardish if you want to be strictly by class. There are lots of dual class instances in Card hunter, the only one missing is wizards ability to gain some hp back (via arcane damage). Card hunter is saying wizards only can do arcane and elemental damage, but has given away vampirism and form cards which are more wizard like traits, if the argument is that CH is sticking to classic tabletop. So I think that is invalid to say wizards can't get healing because of priests.

20. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I balked at ADnD 2e as a shameless attempt to sell books, as well as an effort to systematically remove Gygax's vision of the game. (I'm not a huge fan of Gary as a human being, but I do like his game.) I don't consider anything produced by WotC (or whoever owns it now) to be classic, but that's probably because I'm old. I think for most of us "classic" equals whatever we first encountered. For me, that RPG would be DnD v1, but I actually liked ADnD v1 better. Probably why I like OSRIC.
    Logically, I can't equate damage reduction with healing. They are different things, with different mechanics.
    However, if Jon decides wizards will get healing, they will get healing. As you said, Card Hunter is a unique game.

Gingrich Yurr and ParodyKnaveBob like this.