Aloyzo's Arsenal Official SUBMISSION Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Founder

Founder Hydra

What about discarding revealed boost cards only? That way you can’t just use it to nerf a hand on the off-chance, and it becomes a matter of using it only once a boost has (probably) been triggered.

Gives a nice synergy with cards which reveal hands (which aren’t terribly favoured) and makes any cards which reveal attacks in hand more of a risk for Vengeance players (for example Blind Rage).

As for card advantage, what about counterspell or boiling armour?

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Exactly. I still like the idea of discarding boost cards because it's something we don't have yet, and boosts have definitely become more powerful. I think a boiling armor variant for boosts (single target, discards all) would be niche enough to sometimes be basically useless, yet powerful in the right situation. A primary rule of AA has to be, "Don't introduce anything OP." This would introduce the mechanic into the game for further evaluation.

ParodyKnaveBob, tolkien and Reint like this.
  3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Nothing currently in the game discards revealed cards of a certain type. :( Should I make a post examining all the different discard components?

My idea is now a wizard card (they need it the most) and it will do damage, so I'll have to discard immediately to avoid triggering the move. How does this sound?
    "Linear. Affected characters Immediately discard their oldest 2 Boost cards."

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  4. Steinhauser

Steinhauser Lizardman Priest

@SceoMyntan I liked the old version better. (It was my favourite entry.) The new one doesn't combo with Wind Dancer and doesn't work by itself as a Walk. Why the change?

WexMajor and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  5. SceoMyntan

SceoMyntan Fire Demon

Yeah, I liked the old version better too, and thanks for choosing it as your favorite. Unfortunately, I don't think it would've worked considering @Kalin's card components thread. It would have been based on the AdjacentEndMoveComponent and the DiscardThenDrawComponent—but those are both components. It doesn't look like you can have a component depend on another component, like having your discard number depend on the number of enemies you land next to.

As I understand it, if I wanted to use AdjacentEndMove, I'd need an effect that was already one of that component's parameters— someone, correct me if I'm wrong about that, because I'd like to switch back if I could.

While it doesn't combo with Wind Dancer anymore, it could get some good situational card advantage and be quite amazing with some flight or teleportation in singleplayer.

Sir Veza and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  6. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I don't remember exactly what the old version said, but counting things doesn't have much support and is only used for damage adjustment (and Healing Dash and Positioning Move).

Components do inherit a list of affected chars/tiles from previous components, though. Not just the obvious components that select targets, but I noticed Irradiated terrain (Radioactive Goo and Radioactive Spray) say "radius=1" for damage but not for the handicap attachment.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  7. Steinhauser

Steinhauser Lizardman Priest

Ah, that's too bad. I wonder, would a simplified binary version work? E.g., If you end adjacent to an enemy, you may discard one then draw one, and otherwise you do nothing?

8. SceoMyntan

SceoMyntan Fire Demon

Do you think this would work, @Kalin?

The old version basically said you could Leadership as many cards in your own hand as there are enemies next to you when you end the move, but it sounds like counting is out.

9. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

The following was my idea of a way to dump drawbacks.
    In hindsight I might rename it: Greek Gift or Hold this...

10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I don't see any way to discard based on adjacent enemies, but Positioning Move exists.

What if there are more than one adjacent chars? And none of the cards that test adjacent at the end of the move have any components after that to show if the adjacent chars are added to the target list.

SceoMyntan likes this.
  11. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

@Maniafig & @tolkien

If "Heightened Senses" (or whatever the name) were a Move card, you'd better believe I'd love to put a die roll on it for fun! $X^ b In fact, I considered tolkien's move-the-die-roll effect before he said it, heheh. However, like Energize Move, the moment it's played, it's technically out of hand (right?) and won't boost itself, thereby losing fun/flavor points (assuming one or at most two per deck -- see below).

If attachable (as a Trait), some nice advantages to the owner would be 1. better likelihood of equipping multiple copies in a deck -- consider the difficulty of getting reliable Armor 4 via Enchanted Harness x2 (nevermind other Armor cards to receive such boosts, besides Officer's due to Free Card and cheap level/token costs) -- and 2. if used with something like Hard To Pin Down it'd of course make it harder to get purged. $;^ J

However, a problem I realized after hearing from you two: I saw the coded possibility for boosting a Move card's die roll from in hand; I did not see it via attachment. I'll go look again soon, though.

Sir Veza likes this.
  12. ParodyKnaveBob

Hm, yep, looks like no attached card can boost a specific card type's die roll -- unless I straight-up ask Flak in the main discussion thread if CH is programmed for attachments (like the two Un/Bad luck cards) to accept other parameters like the Harnesses' modifiers, which I'm uncomfortable doing, all things considered. I just might, though... Until then, maybe just a singleton non-Move Free Card in deck after all...

Also, "Steady Footing" or "Stable Footing" sounds more appropriate, but I hate to say "Heightened Senses" might just sound cooler, ha ha ha ha. Oh, and come to think of it, Steady/Stable doesn't match the flaming-elf-boot artwork. Hm. "Fervent Moves" !!! $:^ b Now that I like...

Sir Veza likes this.
  13. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Blazing Reflex, or Smoking Reflexes maybe?
    Edit: What makes you think that's an elf boot?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  14. ParodyKnaveBob

Reflex(es) is interesting, yes, but just the fact that a Move by itself or any other hybrid (like Laser Thrust) and no telling what may (eventually?) come in the future, I don't super want to rely on reactionary wording. I do like Blazing Reflexes, though, especially for the card art, and how the boot would connect to the Move aspect. ~nodnod~ We very well might have a winner here. $;^ P (At least for me. No telling with Aloyzo.)

My memory tells me CH always depicts elves (and only elves) with the pointy frill thingies on their boots.

Sir Veza likes this.
  15. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

That got me curious, and I had trouble finding any kind of boot with a frilly cuff. There are two boot items with it, but they use human and dwarf move cards. For figures I only found one elf and an ooze (human). I couldn't find any cards.

------

What quality should we assign to a card that causes your opponent to skip their turn? (Twice actually, because otherwise it would just balance the turn you wasted playing this card.)

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  16. ParodyKnaveBob

@Kalin, huh, you're right, it's nowhere nearly as prominent as I thought. I didn't dig through all my cards, but I did find that kind of frill on two technically inconclusive cards (since they don't show the boot-wearer's ears): Entangling Roots and Elvish Scamper; the former I actually doubt is an elf because of the blue pants, whereas the latter almost begs you to assume it's an elf due to slotting (despite Skip), title, and green/earthy tones.

To you and @Sir Veza, I suppose between Elvish Scamper and the general pointy/earth-tones motif, the fiery boot image always looked elven to me. Regarding the colors, Fleet is the only card I saw/recall 1. associated with elves, 2. not explicitly showing another race, and 3. not green/brown/earthy; however, it could be argued its hue is more a Nightling association: see its wings (and Drow Rapidity's title) and the hues of Creature Of The Night, Vampire's Kiss, Vampiric Form, Zombie Form (and Spark Of Undeath), and Walpurgis Night.

--

And Kalin, what quality should we assign to a card that's Cantrip? $:^ }

Sir Veza likes this.
  17. ParodyKnaveBob

You know BM considers this effect a Boost and not a Handicap, right? (I'll add Arrogant Armor's image when the wiki cooperates again.)

Maniafig and tolkien like this.
  18. Testlum

Testlum Lizardman Priest

So I completely forgot that Arrogant Armor existed in the first place. I think I'll be changing my entry anyway, so I'll leave it be for now.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  19. orian34

orian34 Orc Soldier

That's why I had it only work for allies, but it seems like the code doesn't allow something like that without adding more blocks.

20. Tiac

Tiac Kobold

On the topic of Vengeance, how about:
    [​IMG]
    Martyr's Protection
    Unholy Attack
    Each time target plays a damaging Attack, they discard their oldest card. Range 6. Duration 2.
    (I can't tell if AttachedDiscardOnPlayComponent allows me to restrict it to attacks)

or,

[​IMG]
    Tarnishing Bolt
    Electric Attack
    Target character discards all Silver cards.
    Damage 4. Range 6.