Aloyzo's Arsenal Official SUBMISSION Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

You might try
    or
    I believe hybrid boost cards should be discarded as boost cards because Paralyzing Bolt discards all hybrid move cards and appears to use the same mechanic.

As to card quality, you might compare the value of armor vs Boiling Armor, to the value of boosts vs (whatever you call it). It should be cheaper to discard only the oldest. To me, it wouldn't be as much fun, either.

Edit: I think your idea is very interesting, @Maniafig ! I hope Flax thinks so too. ;)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  2. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Soooo, about "Heightened Senses."

Rare
    Boost
    Whenever you roll a die on a Move card, add 1 to it. Keep.

I may have found a more viable way to enter it this month.
    1. Since it's expected it'd affect more than mere Move|Boost hybrid cards, it should get a different title. I realized this tonight, thus I don't have a good one just yet. Having "Elven" or "Elvish" in the name may be too obvious $F^ } but since it was originally in Card Ideas anyway, the Elf Skill intention is already technically public. ~shrug~
    2. Since I believe it'd be flavorfully (and AA-viably) better with a new title, probably dealing with agility/movement/sure-footing (hey! maybe "Sure Footing"...), I believe that elven-boot-fire-trail image would do just fine after all. $:^ J
    If it's kept in hand (which I do believe would be better), then @Kalin's awesome resource for this month makes it seem as simple as...

ModifyTriggerInHandComponent
    + triggerBonus=1
    + triggeringCardType=Move

with maybe Free Card...
    endRoundCount=0

Advice Request (since time is short!)
    1. Help on naming? (I can often handle this fine, but I'm open to different concepts even. … "Elven Footing" heh heh heh...)
    2. Agree/disagree it's better kept in hand rather than attaching?
    3. If in hand, hybrid Move? (It'd empower it more, but I don't want it OP.)
    4. If in hand and not hybrid Move, Free Card? (Again, empowering vs OP.)
    5. If an attached Trait, probably Duration 2, eh?
    I guess I'm aiming for Silver-ish quality. I don't think I'm underestimating its power.

3. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Hi PKB! It's late, and I've done my bedtime toddy, so let me struggle to get this straight:
    +1 to trigger Dodge, Relexive Teleport, Jump Back, Sparkling Cloth Armor, etc., right?
    I'd go with "in hand" so you can't keep stacked dodges (or whatever), and not a free card if you expect to afford anything to go with it. I'm probably wrong, but I'm sticking with it.
    Puts me in mind of Dickens' Artful Dodger, so I recommend Artful Agility.
    Might end up on boots instead of an Elf skill, though. (Which I would prefer. Just sayin'.)
    Edit: Might be cheaper for elves, but if it gets picked, it's probably beyond your control.

4. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Howdy, SV. $:^ }
    Much like how Leather Harness etc. boost the die roll on any Armor card, including the Mysticals' Boost (attachment!) rolls, my card should +1 the die roll on any Move card. Therefore, your name's cute, (I do like Dahl's Chickens,) but the card has more applications than for merely not being there. (It can actually help a character stand ground better, too.)

re: cost of Free Card
    Officer's Harness, Lucky Charm, and Arcane Shell compare in cost to non-Free Cards. (Shell's Armor part has Keep, which surely offsets its cost from Aura despite the Boost amounts.)

However, I'm inclined to agree Free Card might be "too much" -- come to think of it, like BM almost made all Harnesses Free Card then found that was too much! $:^ ] Ty for your input, helping me remember that!

5. Founder

Founder Hydra

Did we ever get an answer to whether it’s possible to get cards back out of the discard pile, either in order or at random?

6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I didn't see any provision for retrieving discards in the data @Kalin posted. Sorry. If a monster card can do it, the code probably exists, but I can't think of one that does that.

PKB - Gotcha. Move triggers only. As to free card - yeah. Officer's Harness was usually Leadership fodder for me, and didn't do much on its own. I was thinking of the price of Arcane Aura for +1 damage. If you price your whasis at gold, it might fly. Might be risky, too. Trained Reflex or Combat Reflex theme might be more to the point. (Skittish or Hair Triggered might qualify in less complimentary fashion.)

Toddy didn't take, so I'm reapplying. I'd best get back to hunting the LF in Tezcal, as the tracker says I'm doing. (Map 2 is up by now.)

7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I thought so too, thinking I had to make my entry, win my final figure, and stalk Looty all this weekend. But last night I checked the league schedule and saw I was off by a week. It's next weekend everything happens.

When PKB first started talking about this, the first card I thought of was Rocket Dash. (Though I would actually prefer a penalty on that roll.)

Sorry, nothing remotely similar in existing cards (only card that even mentions your discard pile is Ancient Grudge). And my thread includes monster-only cards... heck it includes some cards I'm pretty sure aren't even implemented (Enlarge).

8. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I like the idea of a card that boosts dice rolls, it's a mechanic that is oddly absent for CH aside from armor cards, and move cards is an interesting place to boost dice rolls since it's quite varied and I don't really see any immediate problems with it like you'd get with boosting block dice rolls. I would really like to see a movement dice roll boosting card for that reason, just as I'd like to someday get a roll booster for erratic dice rolls.

However, a Boost card that is not a trait and only boosts movement dice rolls just isn't that impressive. It's a dead card on its own since it's not a move card itself (contrast with the Harness series of cards) so I would be in favour of making it a free card since it cannot stack with itself. Having two or even three copies of such a card in your hand won't make those cards themselves better, and you're sacrificing a lot of draw power at that point. I also don't think it's unfair to make it a trait when cards like Vanguard, Elven Maneuvers and Altruism exist as traits with a bronze rating. I think it would be fine as a +1 roll booster trait with a duration of 3 at a bronze quality considering the competition it would have. I also think making it a trait fits the best since I see this card as something that would be typically Elvish since their whole forte is meant to be move cards.

So to quickly answer your questions:
    1. Heightened Senses seems fine to me.
    2. Attachment is preferable, I'd rather it didn't clog up my hand.
    3. Not sure what you'd stick onto it for a movement effect, if you do add a move effect with a dice roll then it shouldn't be a free card to avoid stacking.
    4. If it's in the hand and has no move component with a dice roll then it needs to be a free card or have a heavy discount on its value.
    5. Duration 3 seems fine to me if it's a +1 on rolls, compare and contrast to to sheer card advantage of Vanguard, Altruism and Elven Maneuvers and the duration of Unlucky.

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  9. Sorry guys, but I just had to.

10. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Why halve healing when you can convert it to damage? ;)

Though that actually might be feasible given there's code for inverting healing with Negative Energy Being, plus it would be an actual potent counter to heals as a non-keep card. Now I might actually want that to be in the game, provided the card quality's right and probably not keep.

11. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Not only is that feature available, but it's entirely separate from the "turn damage into healing" part.

Sir Veza likes this.
  12. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

She's still salty about Evensong lol.
    I keep meaning to equip evensong just as a sort of homage to you but there are too many other fun builds.

13. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

@ParodyKnaveBob
    What about move 0. Roll a die, add that many move points to it. In addition to the aforementioned rule.
    I find extra moves rarely go unused for the initiated.
    Otherwise, attach it instead of free card it. That's my two cents.

14. Heheheheheh, I named it Heretic on purpose.

I decided to make it a Keep boost card, because I didn't think it would be fair if you could control when all the full heals goes off by just purging your priest. Instead you can do more fun and creative stuff to get rid of it if you don't want the effect, such as using Savage Curse or intentionally triggering Superstitious to get it out of your hand. It would have a lot of creative synergies as it is right now and the game needs more of those in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  15. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

ParodyKnaveBob and tolkien like this.
  16. Tiac

Tiac Kobold

That better?

17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Yes, that version can be implemented without problem. But I'll point out that Push The Button is cheaper and doesn't discard half your hand.

Back to the discussion of countering Vengeance, the problem I see is that people can put several copies in a deck so any counter has to either last a couple rounds or be useful when your opponent doesn't have any Boosts. Remember when they added healing to the cleansing cards to get more people to use them? It didn't work because extra movement is just as effective against terrain and is also useful when there's no terrain.

I considered a card that attaches a Hypnotic Beacon effect to a char, but Path Of Knives (which is easy fill a deck with) turns that into a first-round kill if the target drew Vengeance and doesn't have any purge effects.

So how about this:
    Unadulteration
    AA-26-10.png
    Silver, Rare, Attack
    Magic Holy
    Range 4, Damage --
    Cone. Affected characters discard all Boost cards in hand and all cards attached to them.

Purging Burst is Bronze and has longer range and more control over targeting, but this can potentially affect more chars besides the unique Boost destruction.

FinalCheetah and Sir Veza like this.
  18. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

That could be very punishing if it hits multiple targets at the start of the round and they have traits in their hand. The potential card advantage makes me iffy, I don't think there's any player cards in the game currently that can force the opponent to discard several cards at once, let alone make multiple characters do so. But I also am looking for a card that would have some impact and this definitely seems impactful.

I suppose the question comes down to whether it's worth adding such a powerful effect to counter a select few powerful boost cards regardless of what that means for other boost cards. And whether it's fun to start a round with your opponent using that card when you happen to have drawn a few traits. I'm leaning towards no on those questions.

Sir Veza likes this.
  19. Steinhauser

Steinhauser Lizardman Priest

Actually I kinda like it, it's a trait itself, and can discard things like Officer's Harness. Theoretically it can up the card quality in your hand, and it can even discard handicaps you just drew before they cycle...hey, why isn't this a card already!

Rather than discarding Boosts, why not simply "target discards their oldest Attack card"? Every threat is going to have some kind of attack, so it's not a dead card in any matchup, though it can still be played around.

Alternatively, what about "target discards their oldest revealed card"?

Sir Veza likes this.
  20. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Acid Spray? And Purging Burst is sort of capable of removing up to nine cards, but that's not really card advantage.

That's an interesting idea. I was focused on Boosts so it could also counter Ready To Strike and any future Boosts that are useful. Balancing it would be difficult as we found out with Elven Trickery and Short Perplexing Ray (2 cards was too strong, 1 card is too weak).

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.