Aloyzo's Arsenal Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Does a card's attack and damage type, if applicable, need to be specified? Or does Alozyo determine it based on where he wishes to slot the card?

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeah, I think that's part of the card effect. Thanks for asking!

ParodyKnaveBob and Maniafig like this.
  3. Harvet

Harvet Goblin Champion

@Flaxative, could you answer me, please. Does term 'ally' include character, who plays a card? Cause on Altruism it looks like includes, on the other side on Team Heal it excludes. So, what's true?

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

That's something we haven't been perfectly consistent on. However note that both those cards specify without any doubt who they affect. Just make sure that your card clearly states who it affects. I find that "ally" not including the caster is clearer for this.

5. Harvet

Harvet Goblin Champion

Thanks, Flax! I take this into account.

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Sir Veza, Maniafig and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  7. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Dear Mr. @Flaxative, some of us have been discussing how someone's card should be used; I eventually decided to just ask you. It's a question about what's already been programmed. Before seeing Kalin's list, I'd say the general assumption was this ability was available; after searching it, though, maybe not. Personally, I imagine some unused card functions exist that still haven't been committed to the Cards.csv, probably. Therefore, I ask...

...whereas CH has plenty of parameters for cards in hand which modify die rolls (e.g. Leather Harness boosting Armors, Massive Chop penalizing Blocks), does it have such parameters (types, up/down, etc.) for cards attached to characters (e.g. Bad Luck, Unlucky)?

Thank you for your answer either way, even if it's, "Blue Manchu cannot comment on potential functionality which has not been revealed yet." $F^ }

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Sir Veza likes this.
  8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I don't know off the top of my head, and the surest way for me to check would be to try implementing such a card locally. I'll get back to you!

Reint, ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

This AA will be a bit more involved than most on my end as I may have to test entries before picking a winner etc.. Just a heads up that the window for submissions will close sometime Monday, but don't expect a winner announcement the next day :)

10. Reint

Reint Ogre

Thanks for the advance warning, Flax!

Flaxative likes this.
  11. ParodyKnaveBob

Was this gonna be before or after closing the contest? $;^ b

12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Shoot, I'm sorry. I don't think it works.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  13. 3beaner

3beaner Guild Leader

Not to detract anything from Pyrious and their design but as someone who regularly submits items with cards not previously found on items like Morsel and Dreadfully Ill, which certainly weren't going to break the meta, I find this a bit frustrating to be honest. I've always received the feedback my designs were strong but could not be considered because of this fact. And now one wins. Kinda makes me feel like, "WTF"?

So what's the takeaway supposed to be? Should we keep submitting items that we know likely won't be considered because your leniency towards Pyrious' design may happen again? Or was this a 'once in a lifetime' event and the rest of us shouldn't waste our entries on items which include cards previously not found on items?

cycosurgeon and Pyrious like this.
  14. Steinhauser

Steinhauser Lizardman Priest

Let me tell you a tale, a tale of the Tasty, Tasty Staff.

Once upon a time, many years ago, there was a contest with rules. And people submitted items to the contest that followed those rules. But one sneaky item decided to shatter those rules into pieces. That item was deemed so clever that it won the contest. And it was clever, though it was against the rules, which turned out in fact to be not rules, but guidelines. Now, the outrage that followed was...

Actually, you can read about it yourself on page 25 (through 30!) of this very thread. The moral of the story: don't be afraid to take risks. Worst case, your item isn't picked, which would probably happen anyway.

seth arue, Reint, Scarponi and 2 others like this.
  15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thanks for all the entries folks, closing the contest now. As I stated before, it's going to take a while to process the entries. Hang tight!

Re: "could not be considered"

We actually don't DQ items out of hand just for using cards that aren't already on items. (There is nothing to this effect in the contest thread.) It does put them at a disadvantage, but the size of that disadvantage depends on the degree to which the card doesn't belong on player items—it's not a binary thing. Cards that are very similar or even identical to cards already in player items are an easier sell than cards that do things players can't do at all (e.g. Resurrection, Maze of the Mind). Acid Pool hasn't been on player cards before, but it's well within the realm of what player cards can do, and it's not even monster-flavored. The reason we didn't put it on player items when we made the Mitternacht items was that it seemed a little over-tuned, and last month we made the decision to let it into the item pool in a limited manner.

Some cards were never intended for use outside a single specific monster in a specific scenario, like Dreadfully Ill. These cards are simply not balanced for use on player items. Their values or rarities might be wrong for player use—in the case of Dreadfully Ill, it's both. (Side note: Dreadfully Ill doesn't have art. Like, my mediocre Photoshop job sufficed for one Mauve Manticore battle, but...)

It's been many, many contests since I gave detailed feedback to any entrants. If in the past I made it sound like using a non-player card was an automatic DQ 100% of the time—I'm sorry.

It is definitely something you generally want to avoid! Most cards not on player items don't belong on player items, and most design submissions that include those cards are, frankly, bad designs, and often for reasons other than that they include those cards.

It just so happens, in the case of last month, that:
    • Acid Pool was a card we had been considering for player items, and
    • Antipathy was a very good design, and
    • We were feeling adventurous.

I hope this helps, rather than confusing the situation.

16. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

WOO-HOO! Death Meld on Elf traits, 'cause they're squishy like slimes!:)
    (Well, it made sense to me for a second, there.) :oops:

ParodyKnaveBob and Reint like this.
  17. ParodyKnaveBob

Oh no! The contest closed! Lemme enter this here and maybe it won't be too late!
    1. ParodyKnaveBob
    2. Frenetic Basher
    3. [​IMG]
    4. Boost
    5. Silver
    6. Uncommon
      • Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Duration 3.
      • Add Cantrip to any Bash you play. Keep.
    7. I'm - ! I'm gonna wreck it!
    $;^ D
    and thanks to @Kalin for the reminder that one can set Talented's heal factor to 0

seth arue and Sir Veza like this.
  18. squirrat

squirrat Orc Soldier

Where did it say when the contest closed? I thought we had until end of month.

I'm not complaining but I was hoping to submit today or tomorrow.

19. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Here:
    I keep asking for that info to be included in the announcement post. Some of us need to know when to start procrastinating...

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  20. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I was born 6 weeks late, so I think I have a pretty good handle on it.

Reint and ParodyKnaveBob like this.