My problem with cardhunter as it is.

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by snickersimba, Aug 15, 2018.

1. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

Cardhunter is a great game, but it has a few flaws:

Map rotation and class balance

It seems we get the AI maps far too frequently and they are really bad maps.

The reason they are bad maps is because wizards are so bonecrushingly unfun to play against and it will not be healthy for the game to keep them as they are. The community is oblivious in regards to the fact that immovability and vengeance aren't enough to make them balanced. Cards like winds of war and telekinesis aren't fun to play against and really need a heavy rebalance. The nonstop flood of maps that favor wizards exacerbates the problem and wizards suffer from no real ability other than annoying your opponent into quitting rather than any real strategy.

The solution I have come up with for this is something called Fog terrain, a baked in part of the map that functions like smoke bomb but is permanently a part of the map.

This one is just minor, but could we please step up the enforcement of inappropriate usernames and add a button for offensive character names?

compasses likes this.
  2. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

I ranted (sorry?) in World Chat recently that the AI maps are very interesting and certainly a neat change of pace, but unfortunately, I wind up hating them. I just can't seem to find the right balance of cards to keep things going well enough, especially if I don't want to rely on 5,000 Nimble Strikes. (Which I do, lest I rely on 5,000 TKs.) That said, I appreciate the fact that many people super prefer to play wizards, and whereas many rotations seem to favor melee quite a bit, it's nice that Magic Using Units can try their hands at pelting from afar and controlling the map in various ways. (I've half wanted to try wizards myself this month, but again, I just don't feel that confident balancing such decks the AI rotation.) It's possible you feel AI maps come up too often because, as I recall, they're often adjacent to Plarena II maps, which also encourage wizardry quite a bit -- meaning we often see two months straight of this stuff. Then, too, add the Wicked Waterway(s) league for more crazy Flying/Magicking antics, and I can understand where you're coming from.

Nevertheless, the fact that you find wizards unfun to play against does not make them unhealthy for the game at large. The amount of strategy it takes to play wizards goes up three-fold, four-fold, maybe more, compared to playing warriors, in general; instead of merely trying to solve the round (and potentially the next) via predicting the next few turns, including contingencies on dice, no no, you have to also keep several lines of sight in mind (present, future, self-movement, enemy controlling you back, etc.); warriors need a little LOS planning (for safety from wizards, for stabs, etc.), but for wizards, sight and range is practically everything -- even concerning Burst and Cone to some extent.

I rather like this idea. A little odd to think that characters' terrain attachments should remove its effect, but still, CH-flavorful with interesting function. ~nodnod~
    Fwiw, I report for offensive usernames when I see offensive character names. A mod or dev might now inform whether this is the wrong course of action.

Bansidhe likes this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

This seems appropriate to me.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  4. DARK MAGIC

DARK MAGIC War Monkey

In my opinion, at the moment, I think wizards are the most under powered class even with the new map rotation.

gurel2 and Pyrious like this.
  5. snickersimba

They are definitely underpowered, as I said before. They have one tactic of annoying your opponent to death. I was merely pointing out that is not a healthy thing for a game to have.

DARK MAGIC and Pyrious like this.
  6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Reversing the nerfs to Burfft, encumber, and SPR might raise wizards above the annoyance level.
    Just sayin'.

7. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

I think the classes are well balanced with each other at this point, but as others have said, rotations often favor certain team comps.

Let's get global whirlwind enemies back while we're at it!

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  8. compasses

compasses Kobold

agree. let's fix the mages. or let's change the maps. it's very hard to play against mages. when you play the mage, you do not have to think. You just cast spells. If the enemy is close - tk or winds. no brain tactic. easy win. just not interesting to play against this.

9. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Yeah, control mages are really annoying to play against, but that's what happens when warriors get frenzied step attacks, Vengeance, Vanguard and all that. What else is a wizard supposed to play on their four Arcane Items? The only other things Wizards can do with their arcane items is use terrain which is difficult against human opponents and laughed at by Bless, or invest in a fire build which seems unpopular right now.

Saying playing wizards is thoughtless is ridiculous, they're no more thoughtless than warriors who just run up and attack or priests who sit back and spam buffs and heals. You can simplify everything like that and it is a pointless exercise, every combination of classes and races has their own nuances in relation to the map rotation.

Personally I just stick to PvE, where the AI gladly runs up its weak goblins to my heavily armed warriors and my wizards can unload Bursting Lasers on clusters of Baby Rad Spiders. Humans simply cannot substitute for the stupidity of an AI, they can't be relentlessly crushed like Gary can be.

10. DARK MAGIC

DARK MAGIC War Monkey

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with the debuffs wizards have gotton over the years. Accept, for Flash of Agony, and Accelerate Time. I am most thankfull, for the Savage Curse nurf. I think were all happy that Savage Curse + bursts decks are gone.

11. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

What if we roll back the encumber nerf so that the "minimum 1" rule only applies to move cards played by that character? So you can use Encumber 2 spells to halt Vengeance, Sparkling Cloth Armor, etc.

PS. The wiki page for Encumber is horribly obsolete.

DARK MAGIC and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I think it's important that all classes are viable, and each should be stronger in engagements that favor their abilities. Builds should shift to favor the current map rotation. Improvise, adapt, overcome, and BREAK THE FRIGGIN' META!
    That said, I've been out of PvP so long I can't speak to the meta, just the principle.
    Nope. I miss them in the campaign, but (after MUUUCCCHHH discussion [thanks to Flax, Stexe, Pilgrim, et. al.]), I now accept the primacy of PvP balance.

13. snickersimba

Well, because of the said users who cannot grasp the fact swear words are not allowed in cardhunter usernames, I am back on a year long ban, for calmly explaining why it isn't allowed. This needs to stop. We need to start heavily enforcing a ban on inappropriate usernames.

14. BORINGO

BORINGO Kobold

NO

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

If you did nothing to deserve a ban, please contact support@cardhunter.com to explain the situation and appeal the ban.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  16. snickersimba

Why not? You have not given a reason and saying no in capitals is quite childish, rulebreakers should be punished heavily and cardhunter needs more moderators.

17. Faramud

Faramud Kobold

Insulting in game is pretty childish too, dont you think snickersimba?

caniponu, compasses and Steinhauser like this.