Aloyzo's Arsenal Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

True, but the striking family resemblance seen in their figures is undeniable. Rumor has it they are both by-blows of Gord Ford, the Dword Lord.*
    *It isn't canonical, but rumors are more fun. Pass it on.

2. hello world

hello world Hydra

@Flaxative @Maniafig I have no idea of what I want to create, so if I wanted to submit maniafig's item in another slot with a slightly different name and the same cards, would both of you be fine with it? Obviously if the item wins maniafig would get the prize.

Maniafig and Stexe like this.
  3. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Fine by me, I might end up changing my submission since I'm not too happy with it right now and the cards fit better as a helmet anyway.

4. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Helmet? It reads Human Skill to me... although Helmet works too. Was surprised you didn't go for that first. But it is a good item suggestion.

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Since it's not a raffle, this doesn't increase the odds of the submitted item winning. But uh, knock yourself out :)

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  6. Stexe

But it does in theory increase the odds of the submitted item winning if it is a better submission in theory. Like if someone submitted an obvious Boots item in an Arcane Item slot then someone else submitting it in the Boots slot would increase the odds that those combination of cards sees winning, right?

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Oh, yes. I somehow missed the bit where hello world mentioned a different slot.

8. Stexe

When will this contest end? Any ETA? Been busy lately but should have some time to work on it in a few days.

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I opened Feb 5, so assuming 2 weeks standard open time, I'll be closing this Monday.

Stexe likes this.
  10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Should we assume the same deadline for MM submissions, if we want them released at the same time?

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

If you have an MM submission that you want to see in the NEXT issue of Mauve Manticore, and if you're hoping that that issue be released concurrently with Aloyzo's Arsenal, then yes. We're not guaranteeing an MM release right now, though we intend to produce more issues going forward. It's not impossible that we'll have the next MM with the next AA, I just don't want to make promises.

Maniafig likes this.
  12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Last-minute submissions today please! I'll give it another few hours.

ParodyKnaveBob and Maniafig like this.
  13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I've closed the contest. Depending on whether or not we put a Mauve Manticore together, we will hopefully have the winning item up on the test server by the end of the month. Thanks, everyone, for your submissions! I'll let you know soon as I can with any more timing specifics.

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

We are unlikely to release a Mauve Manticore with this latest Aloyzo's Arsenal, for time's sake, but there will almost certainly be one with next month's contest.

Speaking of contests, I'll unveil the AA winner soon. Some really cool entries, and unfortunately a lot that used monster-only cards.

Stay tuned!

hello world likes this.
  15. Stexe

Well, there are always some exceptions when adding cards. Plus, you wanted it themed around a MONSTER location! :-P

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  16. hello world

hello world Hydra

Did you consider changing skillful dodge to dodge on submissions? Seems a swap that doesn't really affect the intent of the item and could help you with getting more acceptable entries.

Winning items seems okay, tho.

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

As a general point, if there is a design in the competition that doesn't need editing from Blue Manchu to be included in the game, that design is favored against any that would need to be edited.

Skillful Dodge isn't the biggest offender (Raise the Alarm is a bigger problem), but generally speaking it's a mark against you to include a monster-only card. It's not an instant DQ but one of the guidelines for the competition since its start has been that safe, well-designed entries are generally going to only use cards that already appear in a slot.

Obviously there are exceptions! (And this month's winning item is an example, insofar as basically any melee attack is appropriate to put on a Martial Skill even though Massive Chop hadn't yet made it there.) I'll just say, it's riskier to step out of the normal design bounds.

With all that said, let's officially recognize this month's winning item!

It is @Mark2249 's CHEF'S CHOPPING!
    This is a rare martial skill that costs (minortoken) to equip.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Congratulations Mark2249 & thank you for the excellent submission!

This is yet another drawback Martial skill that I think will prove useful in some PvE play. Will the cheap multi-target damage make it into PvP? This doesn't seem like an incredibly strong item, but we shall see!

18. Stexe

I figured it was going to be this one or War Dog's Collar. Almost all the other entries didn't fit or used monster cards.

PULSEFIRE likes this.
  19. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

Same here.

20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

There were other good entries, actually, but yes, those two were at the top of the shortlist.