Card Ideas

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by timeracers, Jan 2, 2015.

1. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Lullaby
    Attack
    Magic Sonic
    no damage, ? range (4? 6? 8+?)
    ? quality
    Attach to target, who falls asleep. Stun. Halt. Discard from target if that character takes damage. Duration 1.

(I like the whimsical, unnecessary "who falls asleep" addition, much like how "throw this away" is on Birthday Present instead of discard, heheh.
    Now why does it feel like someone's already posted something like this?)

Frostguard, fun stuff. $:^ J That said, 1. I believe someone just recently (maybe last page?) posted something like Fair Play, revealing target's and self's hands, and 2. the function of Honor-bound makes sense as a handicap, but the title is hilarious to consider as a handicap, lol.

tolkien and Gingrich Yurr like this.
  2. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

@Frostguard I like most of the ideas.
    The tiered frenzy cards seem a little complex.
    Die Hard is an awesome idea. What it might do is push calculations and decisions into that: end of turn/ beginning of turn, which-happens-first sort of decision making which is complex with attachments happening.
    Unsullied is a fun trait alternative to lateral thinking, shrug it off, arrogant armor.
    Disarming block is a nice nerf to Perfect Block which makes it playable.
    Call to arms is very powerful especially with triple Ancient Grudge mages.
    With steadfast, i presume you want it to negate all bashes. I presume this would be a bronze downgrade from immovable.
    My favorite is honour bound. This should be an wizard drawback because of Boo! Especially if boo! gets a needed buff. Alternatively, one could introduce it with the monkey steal cards if we ever get our hands on those. In that case i would change the name to Honor among thieves and put it as a drawback on those items with Steal and Backstab.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

@ParodyKnaveBob - A quick search revealed that @tolkien came up with the idea - I hope it didn't come across as stealing it. I came up with it independently, as far as I remember (I might've been subconsciously influenced, though, I'm never sure). I usually read through the ideas here, but I don't remember all of them, and I might've skipped that one by accident.

I also really like Lullaby! Exactly the way Sleep should work. Possibly potent but also easy to counter (potentially really annoying if you have only one character left, though).

I'll have to agree, the tiered frenzies are rather silly. My only motivation for thinking about them in the first place is that Wounded Block and Bloodied Block are unique in that the way they work takes a character's health into account. And if the mechanism (code) for that already exists, I thought it could be used for other cards. Nothing really serious.

I didn't even think about Ancient Grudge when I had the idea of Call to Arms - that said, whenever I'm specifying numbers I'm always uncertain, as I'm not all that great at game balance (which is the reason why I usually avoid specifying qualities, too). I guess it could have a lower draw depth or something of the sort.

Steadfast would probably negate the slide effect of bashes, I suppose. They aren't really what I had in mind when coming up with the idea, but the frequently seen control cards of wizards, in fact - I'm not fond of how the control-counter relationship is entirely binary right now, especially how it is one of the few aspects where the mechanism could very easily be modified to add more depth. Other than that, I actually thought of it as a bronze-quality replacement (also I don't think it'd do anything with cards that randomly place the target on another square - it could reduce the range, maybe?).

Those are certainly fun applications of Honor-bound, but there's no need to go that far, even - warriors like to attack from behind to negate enemy blocks.

But if I'm already here, how about a few more ideas? (Probably some that came up earlier, no doubt.)

Spearman's Step
    Attack/Boost, Melee Piercing, Damage 5, Range 2
    If an adjacent enemy targets you with a Melee attack from the front, Move back 1. This card becomes Mandatory Action.
    Note: Cantrip would make sense, but probably would be overpowered.

Polearm Thrust
    Attack/Boost, Melee Piercing, Damage 7, Range 2
    If an enemy moves to a square adjacent to you, they take Melee Piercing damage equal to the number of squares they moved. Roll 2+, Keep.
    "Now what did I tell you about charging at spearmen?" - Lament of the Impaled Recruit
    (Too bad that Ready to Strike already exists.)

Brutal Bash
    Attack, Melee Crushing, Damage 12, Range 1
    Slide back 2.
    "You say your foes keep going back to you - have you considered swinging harder?" - Grugg Axbreaker

Hammer and Anvil
    Boost
    Trait. When a Bash you play fails to move its target due to blocking terrain, the target takes three points of Penetrating Melee Crushing damage.
    "One of those twiggy rangers said that I should always seek to use the terrain to my advantage. I'm starting to think he might have a point." - Thraxar the Slaughterer
    Note: If the target was stopped by another character, both could take the damage; it'd make sense and it could be fun, but it also feels needlessly complicated. Besides, we already have Bruiser, but I thought this might be worth a shot nevertheless.

If we've already been messing with the removal of characters from the board, how about something completely random and probably hopelessly complicated?

Launch

Attack, Melee Crushing, Damage 12, Range 1
    Remove target character from the board. At the start of the next round, target is placed onto a random square with random facing and takes four points of Penetrating crushing damage.
    It's not what I meant when I said I wanted to touch the sky.
    Note: Almost certainly monster-only.

Misty Step
    Move/Utility
    All tiles adjacent to you, including the one you're standing on, become Smoke terrain. Move 3, Teleport.
    One moment he was there, and then... Poof! Just smoke.

Eye of the Hurricane
    Utility
    Place all characters adjacent to you on a random square within three squares. Set their facing randomly.

Ground Slam
    Attack, Melee Crushing, Damage 3, Range 1
    Slide back 1. Affects all available targets.
    (Alternatively, Magic Arcane, Damage 1, under the name Force Blast or something.)

Aegis Block
    Attack/Block, Magic Arcane, Range 3
    Attach to target. Stun, Armor 4. Duration 1.
    Block any, 2+.

Cleave
    Attack, Melee Slashing, Damage 6, Range 1
    Cone.

4. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

My favourite one is cleave.

5. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

What happens if you can't do said Mandatory Action?
    Example: Opponent used a Cantrip attack (Talented vampire, etc), then moves away.
    You're now sitting with a Mandatory Action that you can't use until an enemy happens to stop within range... rather silly.

6. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

If it's impossible to play a Mandatory Action (or Trait), the game will let you ignore it and play some other card. This happens fairly frequently when Toxic Pulse gives mutants Hear Them Out, causing your chars to get I'm Here About The Job.

seth arue likes this.
  7. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Hence the remainder of my comment, about holding it until you happen to get within range. (Perhaps a Quick Run could help...)

8. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Weighted Boots
    Boot card only.
    Bronze quality.
    Hybrid boost/drawback
    Immovable.
    Encumber 1. Keep.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    ParodyKnaveBob and WexMajor like this.
  9. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Free Cards for everyone!

Cleansing Catharsis
    Utility
    Bronze Quality
    Remove all attachments to you and your square. Free Card.

Pillar of Smoke
    Utility
    Bronze Quality
    Target square becomes smoke terrain. Range 3. Free Card.

Extra Stab
    Attack
    Bronze Quality
    Range 2 damage 3
    Free Card.
    (I know @adajon created something similar to this last one.)

WexMajor and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  10. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Chaos

Magic attack - Type arcane
    Range N/A - Damage N/A
    Affect all characters.
    Create a random square attachment on character's square.
    Attach 3 random, different cards to each character.
    Draw a card.

11. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

Two ideas related to reliable draws:

First Step
    Movement Card
    Move 1. This card is always in your opening hand.

Probably would only be available on Boots with only one of this card. I'm not sure how strong it is, drawing a guaranteed Shuffle isn't too good but having bad cards in your opening hand is better than drawing them in the thick of the action later on, so this could be used to streamline your draws.

Barrage of Bolts
    Magic Arcane Attack
    Range 6 Damage 2
    Cantrip. Draw a Barrage of Bolts if there is one in your deck.
    Just a tickle? We'll see how you feel after ten more of these - Anjin of Oeld

Again, another card I'm unsure about regarding power level. You can randomly kill a character with just one card in your hand and cycle through your deck but you may also hit the draw limit, so not sure how many should be available on a Staff. You can also just check for blocks with it. Could be quite strong with damage buffs too.

WexMajor and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  12. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Quality level I would suggest for barrage of bolts would be Silver -. I compare it with penetrating bolt and Jim's Magic Missile. As you say, the quality depends upon the staff/arcane skill availability.
    I love the flavor text.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Gingrich Yurr likes this.
  13. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Scion of the Species
    Boots only
    Hybrid boost/armor
    Draw an extra racial move at the beginning of your turn.
    Armor 1. 5+

14. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

You won't be able to stop elves from stealing all victory points at the beginning.

tolkien likes this.
  15. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Blind Fire

Magic attack - Type fire
    Range 4 - Damage 1
    Attach to target - Duration 1
    Burning 1, Stun

Let me guess... you heard the name of the spell, and thought the caster was the one going blind, right?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    tolkien likes this.
  16. vitreo84

vitreo84 Goblin Champion

I see that there is no armor for priest with any free card. Maybe an armor with officer harness should be added or maybe should be invented a priest armor with free card :)

Maybe such a card that can be saved in the armor slot can be this:

Healing Guardian Presence:
    Boost Healing
    After you take 4 or more damage heal 3
    Discard it after use. Free card.

since leadership is more often used by priest instead of using leader to improve priest hand it should not be abused to build big hand.

tolkien likes this.
  17. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Broken
    Drawback tar quality
    Trait. Attach this to yourself. You cannot play melee attacks. Duration 1

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  18. Goodwin

Goodwin Ogre

Checking Strike
    1 damage, 1 range melee piercing attack
    Silver quality
    If this attack is blocked, this card gains cantrip, and you draw a card.
    Sometimes you must gauge your opponent with the weakest attack possible before your real barrage.

WexMajor likes this.
  19. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Add easy to block 2 and you are set.

ParodyKnaveBob and tolkien like this.
  20. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Of course, the flavor text is practically the same as Weak Strike, though. $F^ J