Making CoC characters (decks)

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by PULSEFIRE, Apr 7, 2017.

1. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

Well, after seeing some one ask @Maniafig to do this:
    I thought that I might as well make a thread. This isn't more of a deckbuilding thread or suggestion, but kinda like the smithy: I wish this existed, yadayada, etc.

HELPFUL HINTS, COURTESY OF @Gingrich Yurr!
    1.) All deck sizes are 36
    2.) Monster only/unavailable cards are allowed

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Maniafig likes this.
  2. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

3. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Nice thread idea! I'm curious what sort of figures and decks people would construct.

I'll start with a Dwarf Warrior, there's some neat Warrior concepts not used in CoC yet and there's only two Dwarriors so far.
    [​IMG]

1x Attack Skill
    1x Parrying Strike
    3x Skillful Strike
    2x Sundering Strike
    2x Nimble Strike
    1x Backbiting Strike
    2x Ready To Strike
    4x Strong Chop
    2x Staggering Chop
    2x Weak Chop
    1x Battleaxe Chop
    2x Battleaxe Block
    2x Parry
    1x Duck
    1x Enchanted Harness
    1x Enchanted Mail
    1x Shimmering Aura
    2x Cautious Sneak
    2x Quick Step
    2x Slicer
    1x Immovable

The idea I wanted to convey was that the warrior fights skillfully with sword and axe, hence the use of lots of strikes and chops as well as using Battleaxe Block/Parry/Duck rather than shield blocks. I wanted to convey a sort of skillful, measured warrior so I avoided in-your-face big splashy damage cards, charges or frenzy-like cards and used more tactical cards such as Ready to Strike, Skillful Strike and Cautious Sneak instead.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    WexMajor and PULSEFIRE like this.
  4. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

How'd you get the picture of each character?
    Also, Enchanted Armor is not a card. It's Enchanted Mail.

5. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Pawndawan likes this.
  6. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

PULSEFIRE and Lucky Dice like this.
  7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

You can get them all* on a single page here, or here if you want color variants too.

* Missing the AI skins because they have non-standard filenames.

PULSEFIRE likes this.
  8. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

Thanks, @Kalin. Anyways, keep up the great work!
    Some minor questions:
    Are all decks 43 cards for CoC characters?
    Are monster only cards allowed in CoC decks?

9. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

10. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

36 cards for everyone, not 43. Monster only cards are allowed.

PULSEFIRE likes this.
  11. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

PULSEFIRE and Pawndawan like this.
  12. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Yes!! Love the Roulette in there. I would switch out the rad. sprays for Blights so that she has at least a few traits besides unlucky.

13. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

SkeletonGiantSE.png
    Hundred-Hallowed Bones (alternatively Sequentially Sanctified Skeleton) - sadly the large portrait doesn't exist yet; also, it'd be standard-sized, not large.
    Most likely is not balanced, it's just for fun.

2x Savage Curse
    1x Cleansing Ray
    3x Mass Frenzy
    3x Unholy Energy
    2x Martyr Blessing
    2x Inspiring Presence
    2x Soothing Darkness
    2x Greater Heal
    2x Bless
    2x Cause Fumble
    3x Sapping Spear
    5x Spear Of Darkness
    2x Raging Strike
    3x Massive Chop
    2x Only Bones

tolkien likes this.
  14. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

PULSEFIRE likes this.
  15. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

@timeracers Thanks about that, I just realized I meant to replace Solid Mail with Crafted Mail, not add it.
    Thank you, sir.

Psst. Don't be so patronizing towards others. This is what you get for using a public forum.

16. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

@Frostguard I love the idea of basing the character off of all the bones and skulls. Well done!
    I only wonder if something could be switched out for some traits... Negative traits maybe...fumble instead of cause fumble?
    Since we have no design guide (hint, hint, @timeracers ) we're just making up whatever suits us and that's fine, but I wonder if the devs had some method to their madness in the coc characters.

17. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

The caverns of chaos randomly uses MP like characters for your characters. All MP characters have 36 card decks and have a default move of walk, run, or dash. Speaking of design the characters should look strangely like normal MP characters which means about an average of about 4.5 value per card. (Halfway between bronze and silver or C and B)

PULSEFIRE likes this.
  18. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

That's helpful. As I was looking at the CoC characters I thought they looked rather like level 18 characters (MP characters) myself. I appreciate the average card level calculation. Now we just need @Vakaz to add a page to his item creator that allows us to calculate the value of a 36 card deck. =) Thanks, Vakaz, I love your item creator....maybe a little too much.

19. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

From what I noticed, the characters of Caverns of Chaos look strangely like multiplayer characters because they are, in most part, multiplayer characters. Their decks are slightly altered, in many cases, but I think they're still easily recognisable.

The dwarf warrior with the default skin, for example? He's the standard dwarf warrior from the Adventurers premade party. Everyone's favourite elven vampire priest is the elf priest from Vein Drinkers; the same premade party's human priest is the skeletal priest in Caverns of Chaos, while its human warrior's cards largely correspond to those of the female human warrior in the samurai-like armour (the stabby one). The Aztec elf warrior (with a thousand Thick Hide Armours) is the warrior from Tezkal Elves, while the elven fire wizard is from the same party, and of course the priest makes an appearance as well, in the appropriately stylish Aztec skin. The Stormbringers give us the Japanese-looking acid wizard, the dwarven slime priest and the human slime warrior, respectively, again with minor changes.

I could go on. There are changes, of course - most characters got a Sundering Strike or two, the elf vampire has a Cushioning Armour and a Bless, which makes it likely that he switched his Glowing Hide Armour for the definitely more snazzy Stargod's Raiments, and a few of them got monster-only cards, or others that don't appear in premade decks.

PULSEFIRE, Maniafig and tolkien like this.
  20. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017