Caverns of Chaos

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Obernoob, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Servoret

Servoret Orc Soldier

Are you sure that you get full rewards from level 10 if you do it twice? I did this a few months ago, and my memory is that I got the exhausted loot for completing level 10 again, even though I did get rewards for the other levels like normal.

2. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

I have completed caverns three times, but not for a while.... I seem to recall I got another epic like levels 7-9, but I could be mistaken...

I definitely remember being disappointed that it wasn't another legendary though! hahah! Now that is a tweak I could get behind, a guaranteed legendary every time you complete CoC. It's not as though it is easy!

3. We are both talking about the original CoC, not Return to CoC which you play with your own team, right?

4. Servoret

Servoret Orc Soldier

Yes.

5. Well I got an epic at lv10 both times. Coincidence? I'll check it again when I have a lot of time to spare.

6. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

I've been making up challenges for myself for Return to the Caverns of Chaos.

First I beat it using lots of Impenetrable Nimbus. Easy.

Then I tried to beat it using no Inpenetrable Nimbus. I used lots of Volcano and Bless. Easy.

Then I tried using only warriors. Hard.

Then I tried using only wizards and no Volcano. Very hard.

Then I tried using only Priests and no Impenetrable Nimbus. Easy.

Next I think I'll try a handicap run.

ParodyKnaveBob and boro like this.
  7. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Am I late to the party?
    thecrownofhell11.jpg
    ~~~
    I was so happy for a few seconds...
    superbcrown12.jpg
    No photoshop - my highest level of image editing is MSPaint.
    ~~~
    After I found myself on a map with literally no cover vs two security bots I quit CoC for 6 months, glad I came back.
    Last map took me well over 100 rounds where I had to cycle through a full deck of a wizard for range 8 attacks while frantically trying to heal the damage dealt by the elder oak with the priest.

8. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Sometimes the stars align and give me a good CoC run, and sometimes the enemies align and give me a good CoC run.

[​IMG]

"Occipital took 6 Electrical damage.
    Temporal took 6 Electrical damage.
    Kwchl took 6 Electrical damage.
    Acat took 6 Electrical damage.
    Cizin took 6 Electrical damage.
    Squlfsh took 6 Electrical damage."

9. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

[​IMG]

Ice Skeletons should be removed from CoC or replaced with a nerfed version.

-They have more HP than most other enemies.
    -They have powerful attacks that can also encumber you for three turns or return to their hand when blocked.
    -Their racial move is Run, so they are hard to escape from.
    -They can Violent Spin enemies all over the place, overwhelming the party.
    -They have multiple copies of a card with 5 armor on average. Even if you get lucky with a fire wizard they'll still take multiple turns to kill because they're not Comustible like Ice Demons are.
    -Even if you draw a Sunder, they might Icy Block it.

Put all those together and you get an incredibly frustrating roadblock to progress.

Also, can Assassins spawn in pairs rather than trios? They draw so many Scampers and Here For The Jobs that they're rarely vulnerable and can easily outflank the party.

Characters also still get self-harming traits regardless of whether they are actually powerful characters or not, can they be replaced with fun CM cards instead?

10. boro

boro Goblin Champion

So I've played a whole lot of CoC before and after the recent changes and imo the difficulty got raised very slightly, whereas the intent supposedly was to make it a bit easier. The odds of getting parties well equipped to handle all enemies got lowered for various reasons.

The new player characters aren't really better than the old ones and lower the chance of you getting enough of the best ones.
    The CM enemies are all pretty tough, especially the ice skeletons are problematic as some parties just don't have the right tools to deal with them.

However, the real killer are the open maps (no cover), I suggest replacing those with the best suited MM ones, that would add a lot to variety and give some more strategic options to deal with the tougher enemies.

11. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I think the worst offender of open maps is the Gladiatorial Arena: Qualifiers map with the lake in the middle. It's the only map AFAIK map where enemies can spawn right next to the players and can spawn on any tile except the chaos portals.

I really think this one should be replaced, and I'd love it if fitting AI, CM, MM, MP and league maps were added instead. (More maps with victory squares wouldn't hurt either. ;) )

[​IMG]

12. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

This is the one where I had to fight vs two security bots & a bunch of minions so I couldnt even get between the bots to make them fire at eachother.
    The best thing was iirc that was the first time I ever got a legendary character (Xander) and he died round 2. :(
    Edit: But I love the idea of having MM maps in CoC.

13. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

:rolleyes: I suspect this is exactly why @Flaxative put this map in.

Flaxative likes this.
  14. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Flaxative has many dead Elf Wizards to account for, if that is the case. :p

ParodyKnaveBob, CT5, Sir Veza and 3 others like this.
  15. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Yep. Makes me kinda proud of the boy.

Scarponi likes this.
  16. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Got beat on level 10 yesterday... I had Aloyzo, the elf Vamp and the frosty Dwiz. Up against the Troll Tyrant, Yurik, two Copper Golems and a Young Wyvern

Aloyzo is good fun and with all the hypno beacons. I managed to take down the Wyvern and Golems, but eventual Yurik caught up to Aloyzo and finished him off... heheh

ParodyKnaveBob, Wandere, CT5 and 2 others like this.
  17. Wandere

Wandere Lizardman Priest

As a wise man once said, "take that ****ing cake"

[​IMG]

Still enjoying these runs. :)

18. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

What do people think of having the Hydra appear as a floor 10 boss? It's a 2x2 enemy with a pretty sizable health pool and is a unique enemy in SP. I'm curious why it was passed over for a boss role, it doens't seem weaker than Melvelous.

ParodyKnaveBob, boro and CT5 like this.
  19. Abbus

Abbus Orc Soldier

Sorry for being so late in this discussion, but:
    1) I tried 2 (entire) days to complete CoC and I got to get to level 8 just a couple of time, no more.
    2) There are a lot of situations in which you just CAN'T make it (and that's not fair).
    3) Speaking with spionecefalide, who was trolling me saying stuff like "lol, what? I made it during my first attempt!" I got to think this situation is totally unfair; those people (like him) should simply have their rainbow crown to be removed: I don't care about any "...but I already did it!", because they did it when it was doable.
    4) On the other hand, Flax could re-set things a bit more "by players' side" (real people wasting real time to have an useless achievement)... I see no other alternatives (keeping doing the same shyt for a year is not a suitable thing to do).
    5) Yeah, I'm pissed off. :)

Taudis and Maniafig like this.
  20. Taudis

Taudis Kobold

I've been farming the CoC a lot because it's one of my favorite SP things and encountered a null game:

CoC Nulljpep.jpg

The creeper has no damage over 3 and can't kill the stabby human. Stabs has no way to address the Tough Bark, which a creeper won't discard over any other card.

I mostly found this really funny, but it would be nice if characters couldn't be totally negated by a fairly common enemy. Looking at her deck list, it seems like Stabs could have one or two Attack, Soldier!s without distracting from her theme of Piercing+Move, Team style cards. She really doesn't need a 3rd Mail and the Lunging Hack is another paper card that might be more on theme as Attack, Soldier!.