Attack of the Astral Guardians

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by 00Banshee00, Feb 16, 2017.

?

Did you play this map? If yes, what do you think?

1. Excellent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Good

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Meh... (please specify how it could be improved)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Didn't play

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. 00Banshee00

00Banshee00 Orc Soldier

My first ever map. There is no story as of now. Hope you have fun playing this (i.e., if you ever play this)
    Also, if you play, constructive criticism will be appreciated.
    cardhunter00005.jpg
    It's a fairly easy map, just don't run out of stabs or you'll be in trouble. I probably won't submit this for MM, but that'll depend on how this map is received.

Pre-Battle:

Lorzil the Wise, and her two elven companions were returning to their secret hideout in Woodhurst when they saw their perfectly camouflaged entrance melted away. Both enraged and astonished, they hurry inside to see if the intruder is still in. Their main hall was nearly destroyed. Rubble everywhere. What shocked them more was that the intruders were the fabled Astral Guardians! But they seemed to be moving in a forced manner, as if someone was controlling them externally. Low voices were heard at the other end of the hall. Three geomancers, previously concealed by the stone pillars now emerge in sight. They too seem to be in controlled by an external force. They chant through restrained mouths, altering reality and destroying the room while they speak. With a heavy heart, for their foes are not evil, Lorzil and her companions face them, to put them down.

Post-Battle:

The Guardians and Geomancers seemed to be deaf to reasoning, leaving the trio no choice but to slay them. Each time one was slain a dark shadow passed over them for a second before flitting out of room. Lorzil was sure that she heard a weak ‘Thank you’ before one of the geomancers died. Were they controlled by some spirit? Alas, that was for later to find out. Right now they had a pressing matter to attend. The trio starts to clean the room and pick up any intact objects remaining.

• Replaced Guardians of Mist with Novice Geomancers.
    • Replaced centre Novice Geomancer with Practiced Geomancer.
    • Added Pre and Post battle text.
    • Changed the number of victory points required for the enemy to 9 (from 8)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Maniafig, Solip and adajon like this.
  2. Solip

Solip Orc Soldier

I actually made my first map aswell, called "Trouble in the office!"
    It is fun indeed, i beat it on my second try. It's also interesting. I wonder what caused these elves to go on and vandalise the shrine? That will make some interesting pre and after battle text if you put it off in the MM :)

3. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

Beat it on the first attempt. I would have preferred controlling seperate characters to minions. Once I killed the geomancer it become pretty easy avoiding the guardians and winning. Maybe if would be more interesting if there was more victory squares with more geomancers on them.

4. 00Banshee00

00Banshee00 Orc Soldier

I originally made them as separate characters but that seemed to make the map a lot easier. I'll see what I can do about adding more geomancers. Might probably replace the two pawns for geomancers.

Oh, and @Solip, I'm working on the battle text.

Solip likes this.
  5. 00Banshee00

00Banshee00 Orc Soldier

Edited the map a bit and replaced the pawns with novice geomancers on victory terrain. Also replaced the original novice geomancer with practiced geomancer.
    Made the two elves into separate characters.

Also, added pre/post battle text (Yay!)

6. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Its more difficult now, beat it second try, the first try I lost to time (0 characters lost but the only enemy left had a few health remaining).

7. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Just played the edited version, I managed to win just before the enemy got their final victory star. I got rather lucky with a Horned Plates on the first turn on the priest and the chess pieces not putting their armor, but it seems like the map should be doable even if you get unlucky draws. You could increase the amount of victory stars needed for enemies to win to reduce the odds of player frustration but otherwise the map is fine balance-wise. I also like the inclusion of Elvish Mobility on the Culcedens.

The map is competently designed and offers enough difficult and blocking terrain to make movement interesting and I like the flavour text, well done on both accounts.

Normally I don't like playing with 36-card GM MP characters but Lorzil and Culceden have pretty consistent decks so you can generally rely on drawing stabs, movement and heals, which all come in handy. Choosing Geomancers and Chess Pieces as enemies also does a good job of showcasing Culceden's many movement cards to avoid taking damage. I'd like to see this map submitted to Mauve Manticore.

00Banshee00 and Pawndawan like this.
  8. 00Banshee00

00Banshee00 Orc Soldier

Thanks =D . I'll see what I can do with the victory stars. Will probably increase it by one or two.

9. 00Banshee00

00Banshee00 Orc Soldier

Increased the victory points for enemies to 9 (was 8). Just don't lose any of your characters, since it would increase the difficulty tenfold, especially if the geomancers are still alive.