[AotA] The Troll Tyrant - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Igniferroque, May 6, 2014.

1. Igniferroque

Igniferroque Mushroom Warrior

I'm stuck at the second stage of the Troll Tyrant. The limited ability to maneuver, the attack eating rust monsters and the only-vulnerable-to-fire trolls has got me beat. I've been running my usual warrior, wizard, priest combination.

At this point, I'm inclined to try a two wizards and a priest. However, I don't have a second level 20 Wizard yet and because it will take a couple of days to level one up, I wanted to see how other people have handled this dungeon first.

2. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Wizard: Encumber, WoW, Wall of Fire. The encumber and WoW are essential if you want to deal one by one with them.
    Priest: mainly lots of Nimbus, and some buffs like MF or Unholly Wellspring if you can. Purge could be useful as well for those annoying traits that heal themself for 5 everytime you hit them unless it's fire damage.
    Warrior: Simply put the best weapons you have. Chops can be very useful if you can put your warrior with nimbus and some buff (Frenzy Aura and Blind Rage are easy to find) between two enemies, specially if you have weapons with Obliterating Chop. If you don't have anything of these, simply equip some high damage weapons. And put as many parries as you can.
    As a general strategy, try to put as many traits as you can to gain in consistency and draw what you really need to draw every turn.

neoncat likes this.
  3. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

I have only tried with one team, worked pretty well so didn't try any other. Two warriors + one priest. All elves caus first time I tried I used my Cardstock II farming team and the guys are elvish caus it's faster and easy enough for me to lack some HP. Of course I made some changes on the team, I especially loaded my guys with parries.

I am suggesting the build caus it can be pretty cheap to make, mostly for the warriors. My priest is stuffed with epics but bascily he just needs as many Mass Frenzy as possible.

20ew
    Level 20 Elf Warrior

20ew
    Level 20 Elf Warrior

20ep
    Level 20 Elf Priest

4. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I basically still used my 1/1/1 , using the priest and warrior to Parry the troll on one side and the two rust creatures + the other Troll on the other side. Opaline Hammer is great here.

5. Castreek

Castreek Kobold

I need help with the last battle. Also should I prioritize Whorl, Troll King, or Storges first?

6. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

Storges then Whorl then the king. Whorl can be very deadly with his spells that has damages increased by 3 times the cards in your hand but killing him maybe be tricky as he has blocks and move a lot to avoid melee fighting.
    As for the king there is a safe spot where you can go if a guy need to get a good hand back with some passes. I can screenshot you the spot if you can't see it.

7. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

Just tried the next map (Secret of the Elder Mind) with the same team. Was the only lvl 18 team I had and anyway didn't know what I was gonna be fighting.
    Well the team did good there too, cleared the adventure without even using a retry.

Now gonna try Black Plume but I think some changes will occur this time ^^'

8. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

So for Black Plume:

1st battle: cakewalk no changes
    2nd battle: got surprised and owned, made major changes.
    Priest: full Impenetrable Nimbus
    Weapon of choice: Duality Mace - for the nimbus and also the Touch Of Death that One Shot the Totems. Three Shielding Token for the divine items. Twisting Shield instead of the Parrying Buckler.
    Warriors: parries out, in more damages. Weapons changed for 2 Bejewled + Lochabar/Infused Greatclub (I own only one lochabar)
    Also changed the boots for Xalanen's Boots. Irrelevant but did the change caus now I have three copies of those and I prefer them. Turned out they were handy for last battle. Rest unchanged.
    It was then an easy win.
    3rd Battle: kept the same setup for first try as the battle was unknown to me. Was gonna get the win but I did a huge mistake by casting touch of death on the dragon that got reflected on my priest who died with 2 nimbus in hand :/ As it seemed doable, I tried again but got badly owned this second time.
    15 gold paid and time for changes again:
    Priest: untouched
    Warriors: in anti armor cards. Weapon of choice: Petochl's Sword. Sadly I own only one copy so I completed with 3 Dragonslayer Sword + Infused Greatclub. The victory was then mine.

9. haho

haho Orc Soldier

I've read all these topics and still haven't beat it. Been stuck on it for weeks. Has troll tyrant gotten any easier with all these new cards released?

10. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

It'd help to specify what part of the module is giving you trouble, is it a specific map or a specific enemy? It's important to take into consideration that this module requires different builds for each map, like bringing a lot of chops against the Storges or having a way to deal with Trolls or with Rust Creatures.

There's several items which do make Troll Tyrant or parts of it easier, items which have Cushioning Armor or Force Field work well against regular Trolls and the Troll King. Monstrous Hide is very good in the section with Storges for preventing a lot of damage and reducing their healing. Martial Skills which have Lycanthropic Form would also be good to bring since you have good odds of getting Monstrous combined with the innate 2 Armor Werewolf Form has. I suggest staying away from Vampiric Form because some of these maps have a high character density which synergizes poorly with the Loners you can draw.

That should cover the armor side of things, for blocks I don't think the new cards work better than the reliable Parry so I'd suggest sticking to items which have multiple copies of those, preferably three. These are invaluable against Trolls' high damage attacks and Rust Creatures' Corrosive Touches.

I don't think any of the new attacking cards are especially useful for this module, mostly you want to go for items which provide high damage for their token cost. Stolen Torch might be handy if you have any for its combination of powerful bludgeons and fire damage against Trolls.

Backing from a Priest who can Purge the Troll Regeneration, Frenzy against the Storges and Heals or Impenetrable Nimbus also go a long way in making the module more tolerable.

Also keep in mind that Trolls will only use their Staggering Blow if they can target someone with at least two revealed cards. You can use this to your advantage if you don't have that many revealed cards and the AI won't use some of its attacks.

Pawndawan likes this.
  11. haho

haho Orc Soldier

I wasn't aware of that. This might be very helpful
    I basically have trouble from the second map onward.