Caverns of Chaos

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Obernoob, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Yep, if you notice the Boulder's health it had already been Sundered. The great thing about Duck, is that the Boulder only has one Flatten. So after that it's just a mildly annoying charger.

2. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Hmm... Duck suddenly seems a lot more appealing for Quick Draw mode...

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Yes, though after you use or discard the Ducked card, it returns to the opponents deck. If you want to keep it out of their deck, you have to keep it in your hand.

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  4. @karadoc
    That is the problem: he had 50 hp. So even with superticious, how you deal 50 damage 1 turn to him?

5. PDXTai

PDXTai Ogre

Just died to the boulder as well. I had armor removal, but couldn't stay away from his movement. Died to charges and flatten on level 10. :(

6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I assume these things are obvious, but in case they're not... the Boulder has 5 cards and draws all of them every turn (unless Immovable is already attached in which case it draws the remaining 4 cards). That means you should know that there are 3 charges potentially coming every turn (one racial move, two charges in deck).

It may be at any given point actually impossible to survive, but one should at least attempt to plan positioning so as to escape all three moves (this is most feasible usually by cyclical motion where you slowly retreat with the zone of the control of a player with movement still preventing the Boulder from basing other players. "Obviously" making sure no move allows the boulder to base 2 players at once.)

Not attempting to imply this hasn't been attempted, just throwing it out there for future Boulder fighters.

ParodyKnaveBob and karadoc like this.
  7. black_wolf

black_wolf Kobold

I reached the last level twice this week. The first time it was very hard path toward the last level but i got an "easy" last scenario, the second time i got through the 1-9 levels very fast but i got this.
    They ripped my butt off.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Just wanted to give you all an update to manage expectations: there won't be any changes to Caverns of Chaos with this month's patch. We're trying to get Mitternacht out before Halloween so we're prioritizing polish, bug/balance fixes, etc., over CoC changes.

I'm planning to give CoC a ton of love in November, though. You can expect new characters, character changes, monster population changes, maybe even new boards.

<3

9. 40c_rudy

40c_rudy Lizardman Priest

I am not 100% sure how many final CoC bosses there are, but i think that i have managed to hunt down and kill every single one of those horrible creatures that rule the dreaded Realm of Entropy. I have kept some souvenirs from my adventures there, including all the different bosses that i have manged to beat:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also today, i finally managed to face the Boulder in the final level for the first time. My first thought was that i was going to lose badly, but then i saw the characters i got and realised that they were perfect to deal with it. At first i used Bolg with his Jump Back to defend against Boulder's attack, and when my Xander drew his Duck, i managed to steal it. I kept it in my hand in order to prevent the Boulder from drawing it again and i just waited for my priest to draw his Sundering Strike.

[​IMG]

P.S. As i was writing this post, @Flaxative informed us about the upcoming CoC changes/additions. I hope we won't get new bosses because i will need to start hunting again ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  10. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

11. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

You meant November 2017 right? :p

I'm just hoping the Boulder gets removed or softened up, not even 2 Bolgs and Chartwell could prevent an untimely demise. Maybe get rid of the Rumbling Charges in its deck? One from its racial move is bad enough. Meanwhile Xanthicius was throwing Rockfalls at me, repeatedly. It was painful.

I'm going to have nightmares about rocks tonight.

12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but Castle Mitternacht singleplayer content is taking priority (especially since then we can put those new monsters in CoC!)

13. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Great to hear! Any chance we will see some new heroes from mitternacht transported into CoC? Would love to see each of the 4 charcter transformation types represented. Can't wait to sink my teeth into a Count Yurik!!

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  14. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

Completed the Caverns of Chaos! It was a crazy ride, getting Mokad in Nodes 8 and 9 and barely winning thanks to Victory Squares in both nodes, and then the Throne Room, wow. My enemies were Grendel, Two Death Elemental minions, One Rumbling Mutant, and One Gnome Berserker. My characters were Bolg, stabby human warrior, and Omin. So first round, killed Gnome Berserker, and killed Rumbling Mutant by the third round. (These three characters have plenty of BIG attacks). Then came the tango with the Death Elementals. There was a lot of maneuvering involved to avoid the range of the death elementals' Doom, and doing stuff like Flanking Move when NEB was going to expire to get the first hit next round, healing them when they had NEB active, stuff like that. It took quite a long time and I had to keep an eye out for Grendel too who sometimes had a few extra move cards. But in the end, they fell, and it came down to the simple task of killing Grendel, who many have said is the easiest Caverns boss, and based on this experience I must agree. Now that the pressure is off to get the Crown I think I'll have a lot of fun revisiting the Caverns, and also Returning to the Caverns.

Caverns Completion.PNG

40c_rudy, trrst, Flaxative and 5 others like this.
  15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Congratulations!

ParodyKnaveBob and Gingrich Yurr like this.
  16. mikey76500

mikey76500 Hydra

@Gingrich Yurr: Greenfang, actually. The strongest thing he has is 7-damage, 2-range Dragon Claws. That and a BUNCH of Acid Jets.....oh, and a BUNCH of Resistant Hide Armors.

He's more of a joke then Grendel ever is.

Now, sell that thing and get your well-earned 1,000 gold. :)

17. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I woudn't underestimate Greenfang, those Acid Jets can seriously limit mobility and he draws a whopping 6 cards per round so it's certain to have enough Flies to use its Dragon Claws and Massive Jaws too. Grendel is stuck using melee attacks only and there is a spot on the map Grendel's attacks simply can't reach, making him an easy target for a Wizard provided the Wizard has no Traveling Curses or the like in their deck. He certainly took me by surprise when he stopped my almost winnin CoC run. :(

But in the end I'm pretty sure it's Melvelous who's the easiest CoC boss of them all. ;)

18. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

If you have at least one attack of range 2 or farther I agree Grendel is the easiest.

19. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

Finally completed CoC. Only took a few years. :)

Final battle came down to a one on one of Jim Darkmagic vs The Troll King

Suck it Troll Regen! Combustible + Kindler + Firestarter is a beautiful thing. 20 Damage from Scorching ray for the win!

20. I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this before but I just wanted to inform you that if you complete Caverns of Chaos and then do another run, you DON'T get diminished rewards, even though it says "(exhausted)" and the hourglass appears. You still get the rares at 2-7 and epics at 8-10! Taking farming to a whole new level!

Christofff, Vlamona and PULSEFIRE like this.