Aloyzo's Arsenal #15: You make the card! Part 4: Card Effect!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Flaxative, Oct 21, 2016.

?

Aloyzo's making a new card. What's the card?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2016.
  1. Clear Mind

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Disengage, Soldiers!

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Ready to Strike

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Scout's Vigil

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Terrifying Visage

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. Trailblazer

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

Terrifying Visage and Ready to strike both have 28 votes now so I guess the winning card will say:
    When an enemy moves next to you slide back 3.
    If an adjacent enemy plays a move card do 8 Melee Slashing to them. Keep. (roll 3+).

2. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

I approve of "Ready to be Terrified (and Strike Out Frantically at Others in Fear)".

//

Actually, your phrasing gave me a cool idea for RtS rebalancing, just for consideration:
    (If an enemy moves adjacent, deal 6 melee slashing damage (guaranteed). Keep if 5 or 6.)

Not necessarily espousing the idea, and certainly less potential for building around it with control wizards and bashes or the like, but it's a cool approach for emphasizing reliability over unpredictability.

Lucky Dice likes this.
  3. Aerendhil

Aerendhil Ogre

29/28 who dunnit ? :mad::p

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  4. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

While it's your prerogative, please consider not voting solely to even up votes- Flax has made it clear that he'll end up breaking a tie (ie, implementing only one card), so there's no point to it for this stage.
    Far better to vote for the card you prefer, even if it's only by a little.

5. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

@Flaxative , do you think the winning card should be selected by a battle between the champions of each card's supporters? :p

Either way it goes, do please have Aloyzo take his time balancing out the card, rather than leaving some of the balancing for after the card goes live. :X

SceoMyntan likes this.
  6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Not sure why some folks love tying the vote, it's just gonna make you all salty when I end up picking one ;)

Anyway, Aloyzo's listened to Cardhuntria's loudest, and has begun the Bluemanchia crafting process.

The winning card will be on the test server before it's release, so yall can always test it before it goes live.

More updates soon...

ParodyKnaveBob, CT5 and Maniafig like this.
  7. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Oh good, so Aloyzo went with my pick. :cool:

I knew being a chatterbox would one day finally end up in my favor.. ;) :oops:

:cough: :rolleyes:

AKA, make KB sweat until it is revealed whether or not Aloyzo will try to use their Terrifying Visage to scare KB away.

Classic Aloyzo. :confused:

8. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

My bet is on Disengage, Soldiers! winning.

9. Pyrious

Pyrious Hydra

I don't like either of the options, but Terrifying Visage doesn't respect women so I voted for Ready to Strike.

10. Actually, exactly 40% of us are going to be salty.

11. What was your pick? I thought I was fairly loud and went with Ready to Strike.

12. :rolleyes:
    I think the most talked about card was probably scout's vigil. That means Aloyso must have picked it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  13. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

In all earnest -- and I don't say this because I voted for it -- I believe the loudest of us trumped (yes, voting, pun,) Terrifying Visage. As I read post after post, very few talked about Ready to Strike as the card to win and why, whereas at least a few said "I like the move-cancel" and "RtS seems more overpowered than Visage." I could be wrong of course, and I don't plan to go back through the thread "counting votes," but I must say, when I did vote, I was quite surprised to see RtS winning at the time since I recalled nearly no one speaking that well of it.

How ever things end up, kudos to all for the fun banter and discussion, and especially Flaxative for staging this comical show and Jon limelighting it. $;^ }
    (yes, greenlighting, another pun)

Regards,
    Bob $:^ J

timeracers likes this.
  14. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

60%, you mean. 20% are going to be salty no matter which is selected.

My pick was "Anything other than Visage or Disengage", so RtS by default. :p

First off, trump means to overcome, which in your context would mean that the loudest overspoke Terrifying Visage [presumed: by discussing RtS]. So that grammar probably means entirely the opposite of what you intended.

Second, that's not at all what I noticed throughout the thread.
    RtS had a mild reaction, with a majority speaking well or passively of it, and most criticisms were more concerned about it catering to more of the same, rather than being worried about it being imbalanced.
    Visage had a strong reaction, with the favorable comments being in line of "ooh, potent, fun, shiny! Do want!" and with few efforts to espouse why the card was a suitable selection.
    Its equally, if not more strongly negative response was concerned with how potent it was, and how it'd demolish class balancing.

So no, the two or three comments concerned with RtS's potency aren't overshadowed by the dozen or so concerned with Visage's.
    The loudest comments were "This card seems fun" and "I'm concerned with this card's balance", in regards to Visage.
    With that in mind, RtS comes ahead, as it had less criticisms. Boring isn't near as bad as something potentially more problematic.

In other words, RtS may have come out ahead simply because so many of us didn't want Visage to win. That in itself is rather the awkward situation, and really does indicate that Visage likely oughtn't be picked.
    Furthermore, it's worth keeping in mind that you can rebalance a card, but you can't rebalance a concept or class balance near as easily, once a disruption has been introduced to that. RtS being potent is far less a concern than Visage being undervalued in quality and inappropriate for warriors overall.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Please don't try to read so much into my comment; everyone in this thread qualifies as Cardhuntria's loudest. ;)

16. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Perhaps the definition of to trump being "to proclaim or announce with or as if with a fanfare" is less known than I expected -- etymology being from trumpet of course. (That definition comes from Collins English Dictionary fwiw.)

~~

You very well may be right on the cards. $:^ J Again, I'm not planning to go count. $E^ J

17. Awwwwww...

18. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

This assumes that everyone who didn't have his/her card win will be salty.

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Meanwhile, I assume even the people who voted for the card I end up picking will be salty as well ;)

20. Does this mean... a NERF? :mad:

Gingrich Yurr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.