Your costliest purchase (for gold)

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Sir Knight, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

"How much would you pay?"

Ever since I did that study on gold prices for items, I've been wondering how people would actually use their gold. Save up thousands upon thousands and eventually spend it when "the Legendary they really need" shows up in a store? Maybe. Only buy things once their characters are at a similar level, thus avoiding all "higher-level" fees? Probably. Never buy anything except Common or Uncommon goods because the prices scare them? For some people, I'm sure.

So what's the costliest item you've bought in the game?

Me, I just found "the Epic I really need." You know how much I love Path Of Knives, which I already have on Booming Ring. I just spent 500 gold on Bloody Bracelet: Level 12, Arcane Item, 1 white talent, two copies of Path Of Knives and a Wall Of Fire.

My Wizard's deck now has 4x Path Of Knives, 3x Wall Of Fire, Stone Spikes, Force Blast, and Force Bolt. Now all I need is somehow to trade out my extra cards for Telekinesis of one form or another.

And you?

2. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I'll buy whatever is useful at the time and/or something i will use later that i know will be useful. Knowing the items imma want ahead of time being in beta helps. Saving for a legendary would be something extremely long term down the road as they are way expensive.

3. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I think 400 for a just crazy good pair of boots is the most i spent and the most i would logically be willing to spend. Obviously there will be that one or a few legendarys that everyone wants in the end and if that is in the shop then i will get it but except for very unique cases i don't see my self spending 2500g as i think that amount is ridiculous.

4. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

I am consistently gold poor because I don't go back to replay defeated adventures. The most I've spent on an item is 25 gold: I'm still at the point where my interaction with the game tends to be checking what's new in the store, seeing how many desirable items there are in my "price range", and then going to beat new modules until I get enough money to buy those items, typically 1-3 full adventures.

5. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

i know that place its got its ups and downs!

6. Sir Knight

Hey Wozarg: do you remember what the boots were? And, judging by the price you cited, it must have been a Rare that was 4 levels above your own--just going to show that people won't necessarily wait until they level-up if the item is good enough.

7. barbalatte

barbalatte Mushroom Warrior

I think 25g too.. money is scarce

8. Sir Knight

Absolutely; hence my concern in the older thread. I haven't spent more then 50 gold at once--and those were for chests, where I could get all sorts of interesting things. For simple items, 25 gold is pretty much my cap.

Then I had the chance to get more Path Of Knives cards. And I understood why I'd been saving money for the entire beta.

9. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

it had reliable mail run and energize i think i could be slightly off.

10. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

I think my most expensive purchase was either 50g or 25g, don't remember anymore.

11. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

I spend 50 gold on a chest every chance I get. I don't think I've ever spent more than 25 gold on a single item purchase. And, frankly, I really doubt I ever would. No matter how neat that one item in the shop is, I'd rather buy ten chests of five items than drop 500 on that Epic in the shop. I'll probably not see anything above Uncommon in those ten chests, but I'll also probably find a good dozen unique items that I would actually use, as opposed to a single item that really only fits into a single specialized build.

I frequently see incredible items that nevertheless cost twenty times what I'd ever value them as being worth... which is really the problem. No matter how awesome that 500 gold item may be, it's not 100 times better than the 5 gold item I'm going to buy instead. It's not even 20 times nicer than that 25 gold item I could splurge on if I was feeling froggy. So I personally will not save up to buy those items because, to me, they simply are not that valuable. There's nothing particularly wrong with saving up for those big-ticket items, it's just not for me.

Combine that with my purchasing a chest every time as soon as I have 50 gold, and I naturally find myself in a situation where I never even have enough gold on hand to buy anything more expensive than a single 25 gold item. Even then, I almost never do. If it costs more than 5 gold, I usually just walk away.

12. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

I've splurged 100g on a rare once (or twice at the most) and then my stockpile of gold mysteriously vanished. I'm carrying abut 3g in my savings right now; my earnings are often spent as they come in. I sometimes buy above my level for 20g or less, but my general rule is that I'm going to find loot by playing adventures. So I tend not to buy things at all unless it's something I'm going to drag directly onto my character -- that matters more to me than price. There's an exception for items with drawbacks, because I'm short in several categories for all-drawback quests. And there's an exception for chests which I should probably do less. Personally, I am starting to favor the certain utility of a known item over the potential of chests; it may be poor luck but I don't feel they have given me a great return on investment and I expect they'll be diluted further as the item pool grows.

13. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

The chests are terrible value look at it like with a ccg at a card shop the boosters are worse value than lose cards but they let you dream for a moment about that one shiny trinket you want so much for a tiny fraction of its price or even value. This might change as trading opens up and anything under rare becomes as good as free its hard to tell but right now its horrible value.

14. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

I think the costliest thing I've ever purchased is the 50g Ornate Chest (level 9-16 iirc). At this point, I'd rather blow 50 gold on five random items rather than in the shop for (IMO) generally inflated prices. I think because of my level (8 when I bought it) the chest had a much better value than it would at 16 when shop prices have come down. That said, the shop is great if there's an item around your level you see that you really want. I find myself mostly buying common/uncommon stuff rather than rare/epic/legendary, generally because I'm looking for a specific card. I rarely sell anything though, since the return on items (even most treasure items) is usually terrible.

15. Sir Knight

After collecting a large variety of items around a particular level, subsequent plays get me a lot of redundant items. As such, casual play across several days does build up the gold.

However, they keep adding more items, so one's inventory is only going to get more and more cluttered while waiting for "redundant things to sell." I hope they implement a favorites/mule/player-based-sorting system of some kind.

16. Ashebrethafe

Ashebrethafe Kobold

I checked the wiki to see what item this could be, but I couldn't find any boots that had both Reliable Mail and Run.

I think the most likely candidate is Steel Boots Of The Bull (level 18, major token, Muscle Through/Charge/Reliable Mail). The only other pair of rare boots with Reliable Mail is Heavy Dashing Boots (level 14, minor token, Dash/Dash/Reliable Mail), and the only pair of rare boots with Run is Off-Balance Boots (level 7, no token, Run/Run/Wild Run).

Energize does not belong to any item, nor would such an item be useful to the player, as the player only has groups of characters in custom scenarios (where items aren't used). The card targets one of a group of characters, who has already done something in the current round other than moving, and allows it to take another such action.

17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Ashebrethafe, you replied to a thread that is nearly one year old, from the long-gone days of the beta. Who knows what strange and wondrous items they had then. Your sleuthing talents would probably be better employed on some more recent mystery.

18. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Yup. A lot of the info here is a bit outdated unfortunately. Closing up shop!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.