Second Preview: Introducing Castle Mitternacht!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Flaxative, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

2. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

A couple of these really look like monster cards... So this mean we are getting new modules? Whatever, can't wait!

Stacking chests at 24 and counting.

3. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Never would have guessed the new damage type would be Silver. :p I'm guessing this means the card that was hidden in the last reveal is probably one that forges silver into something, maybe it changes all attack cards to Silver direct damage?

I'm guessing this is either about Vampires in which case I expect more draining cards and maybe anti-healing cards like Hemorrhage, Werewolves in which case there's probably something with transformation or the moon, or maybe WEREPIRES. In which case we might as well give up now, Cardhuntria is doomed.

Ancient Grudge seems like it'd be really powerful if a match goes on long enough. Pair it with a Pathfinding/Elven Maneuvers Elf Wizard in a move-lacking deck and I could imagine this thing doing crazy damage. Also the first card to be affected by the discard pile, that opens up for a lot of new possibilities! Wonder whether we'll get a 'Draw a card from the discard pile' effect. Here's hoping it won't appear on Arcane Items at least. Also seems like a nice card to have in CoC where battles do tend to go on a long time. ;)

I didn't know Bats could Teleport, but I'll chalk it up to Werepire magic. Seems like a better version of Reflexive Teleport in some ways, but only single-use, I'm curious too see its itemization.

The hunched-over Elf seems like a new Elven move card.

Monstrous Hide looks like the new Reliable Mail, except not quite as reliable. Wonder whether Wizards get access to it given it's Keep and armor 3. Should be useful in SP, needless to say!

I'm curious what Silver's deal is. Compared to Laser and Radiation it's hard to tell from just Silver Bolt alone, so far it seems similar to a regular old Sorcerous Blast, straight-up damage without any enhancements. Hope to see what else Silver has in store, and whether all Silver cards are silver quality.

And Creature of the Night looks like the new Combustible, except we know that all classes get access to Silver-focused weapons so it's quite risky. And it's probably a safe pick for SP, that's always nice. :p

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Flaxative and Gingrich Yurr like this.
  4. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Yes. Elvish Painting! :cool:

Also, the illustration of Creature of the Night is so neat.

Flaxative likes this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No; we are just taking advantage of these blog posts to share some lore :)

Lots of good questions in this thread. All will be answered in time...!

6. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

Wait... So you mean the Monstrous Hide is found on player items?

Oh dear...

7. DupleX

DupleX Champion of Cardhuntria

I have a suspicion they will be in a league not on player items.

8. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

Wait actually I think it's fine. Somehow I thought that it prevented all non-silver damage. Teach me to read stuff properly next time.

Flaxative likes this.
  9. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Can we talk you into making some SP modules for this in the future? This backstory is too good for just ranked maps and leagues. Or I suppose we could have a new map-making contest to see who can make the best Castle Midnight.

Also, is that painting finally a new treasure? (There haven't been any new normal-droppable treasures since release.)

adajon likes this.
  10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yep.

Kalin likes this.
  11. Pokemaster131

Pokemaster131 Lizardman Priest

I like the name. Sounds very German (i'm not entirely sure if it is), and I know that "nacht" means "night" in English, so I'm assuming the full name means "Castle Midnight"? Vampires and werewolves and undead, I'm assuming. Looks like another great DLC. :)

12. hello world

hello world Hydra

I think he said something about a legendary arcane skill with two new different cards and punishing bolt in chat, ancient grudge seems perfect for it.

13. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

I have a rather silly question which can probably be answered without spoiling anything, no idea where else to ask.

Is there a limit to the number of unopened chests one can hoard? I need to know because reasons.

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No limit.

Rohndil likes this.
  15. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

After 10,000 the whole number won't fit in inside the sticker, but you can still open them.

Gingrich Yurr, Rohndil and timeracers like this.
  16. Zacharianthi

Zacharianthi War Monkey

I just wanna say I'm digging this theme and story so far, I hope we get more of it.

17. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Hi, popping by after another absence to say . . . things.

I enjoyed the 3rd birthday party and I like the sound of upcoming additions. This backstory is great. Who wrote it? Write more. I'm serious.

I recall the initial setup of "Cardhuntria" years ago, in early development, with the origins of magical artifacts and some-odd story about an Eternal Empress. This Empress, I notice, has never been mentioned in modern Card Hunter and seems to have been abandoned after that draft. This is fine by me since the old origins read more like an explanation than a story. Mitternacht here seems to be a real story. Therefore, if somehow you're not planning on new modules, you'd jolly well better use those storytelling skills somewhere.

P.S.: Flaxative, I missed when you changed your image-thingy. I see it has red blobs that look like the "censor" blobs in the most recent blog post. What is it?

Edited P.S.: Flaxative, with the advent of Ancient Grudge, your Lateral Thinkers may see new life!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Flaxative and Maniafig like this.
  18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thanks for the kind words. I hope these blog posts, the Mitternacht card flavor text, and Mitternacht item names continue to please.

Teaser for upcoming mechanics :)

19. SceoMyntan

SceoMyntan Fire Demon

Whoa, I could've been right with my wild speculation concerning vampires!

Other than that I'm looking forward to it, I want to remark upon how cool it is that we can make sense of the sudden Swarm of Bats card as a bit of the story. From the name alone it sounds like a group of creatures, but knowing the game mechanics and seeing the card is blue and orange, we as Card Hunter players know it's actually how some other sort of being moves: turning into a bat, not being one normally. All that from a card. It's like the game has become a little language we all can understand.

Flaxative and Maniafig like this.
  20. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Speaking of loving the writing....
    [​IMG]
    :cool: