Tips requested for my control deck

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Tyro, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Tyro

Tyro Mushroom Warrior

I've been tinkering with a deck based around Path of Knives, Gusts/Winds of War, stalling terrain (acid jet, hypnotic beacon, illusory wall/barrier), and the occasional volcano. It's pretty good for up to 1100 or so but I could use suggestions on how to make it better.

Boreas
    Level 18 Dwarf Wizard

Ambrose
    Level 10 Human Wizard

Morgana
    Level 15 Elf Wizard

2. Mama Mia

Mama Mia Hydra

3. Tyro

Tyro Mushroom Warrior

I haven't found dimensional traveler that essential, and blocking is sometimes a problem; with the nerf to Electroporter Novice, I'm thinking maybe Untrained Electromancy?

4. Derek

Derek Orc Soldier

Well, I'll be happy to make a few general suggestions so long as you promise not to use Untrained Electromancy ;)

Anyways, first lets talk about race. Your elf is rather suspect. Elves, at the cost of being incredibly frail, have good movement on their own. However you've given it a 0 trait skill and 0 trait 3 movement boots. Too much movement is thinning your attacks and creating unreliable draws. I usually use Goat Boots for tokenless mage footwear, but mouse boots are good. If you do keep them, put them on a dwarf at least. Next up is your human. Untrained Flexibility may seem like it has synergy with your build but it really doesn't. The idea with a control deck is that they never get near you. If you need a quick fix to a warrior that got too close it means you need more control/trait cycling, not a retreat card. In the current map rotation, I'd make both of these characters dwarves if you have good racial traits (I'm noticing how obsolete my trusty Apprentice Ferocity has become whilst writing this).

Next up is your staves. They're all good, and all fit your team, but they're not that common, and here's why: control decks thrive at putting the opponent where they want them but are terrible at doing damage. And while your staves provide support, they lack good damage. Keep an eye out for staves such as: Searing Pain, Charring Staff, Blue Destruction, Staff Of A Million Embers, Dianon's Staff, Heartripper, Staff Of Burning Ice, Staff Of The Fire God, and Kazmir's Staff (In no particular order; just to name a few). These allow significant damage output while your opponent is being kept at a distance.

Robes? I prefer the tokenless Robes Of Lightness to get 2 traits to cycle and to free up tokens elsewhere. If find it more optimal to keep Bloodfoot Robes then go for it; they're decent.

Finally, to your support items. Because you have so many knives (from items and from your robes), you're actually a little short on the most important part of a control deck...control. I'd stick with no more than 5 or 6 Path of Knives total. Try to find a ton of Ring Of Appropriation. It should be replacing your less desirable items such as Round Jade Stone, Crude Raygun, and Orzo's Excellent Wand.
    Next, focus on 1 (at most 2) type(s) of terrain damage. Having lava, stones, acid, and laser is less than desirable because its too inefficient; you'll rarely be able to dispense all your terrain attacks in a turn. Try Bloody Bracelet to kill 2 birds with one stone. I'm bias towards only using lava and laser and using attacks to rid my opponent of armor. Waiting for the end of the round for acid squares to work their magic is usually a poor option.
    Speaking of acid, once you remove Trog Melter, you're going to want armor removal. D-623 Disruptor is perfect for that (but better when you have a priest to buff).
    My only other suggestion is, once you replace your staves with higher damage burning attacks, use your left over major tokens on Accelerate Time items and utilize the fire related arcane skills. Also keep an eye out for items that do damage and control your opponent such as Aloysi's Ring.

Tyro likes this.
  5. Tyro

Tyro Mushroom Warrior

Exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for, thank you!
    Untrained Electromancy appeals to me because of the trait cycling. Defensiveness is a gamble, but so long as I have control on at least one toon I figure I could push them away from the defensive wizard. I bow to your superior expertise, however.

I'd already started making some changes along these lines, and I just got my first Ring of Appropriation; I'll work on it and post the next iteration soon :)

6. Tyro

Tyro Mushroom Warrior

I've mostly been doing damage with terrain attachments and Path of Knives, seems to work well. Do I *really* need direct damage? I rather like Squeamish :)

7. Tyro

Tyro Mushroom Warrior

Okay, take 2. Keep in mind I'm working with a fairly limited selection of top tier cards.

Badb Catha
    Human Wizard

Macha Ruadh
    Human Wizard

Anann
    Human Wizard

8. Tyro

Tyro Mushroom Warrior

9. Tyro

Tyro Mushroom Warrior

Just got Basic Edition, did the treasure hunt for another Ring Of Appropriation. We'll see how it goes.

10. Tyro

Tyro Mushroom Warrior

I abandoned direct damage entirely; without it Blood Lockets and Runestones are much more viable. I'm not using both of my Rings of Appropriation since I need the tokens elsewhere and Blood Lockets/Runestones are significantly better at a distance (Winds vs. Gusts/Telekinesis) and Squeamish doesn't hurt me much. On the lookout for Asmod's Telekinetic Chain to replace Sensate's Rings.

Badb Catha
    Human Wizard

Macha Ruadh
    Human Wizard

Anann
    Human Wizard