Throwing ranked games is not OK

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I would certainly consider a mute all chat toggle if that's something a lot of people want.

2. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

A mute all toggle would be useful if a parent didn't want their kids exposed to the harsh internet denizens of the lower ranks, but for the most part Cardhunter is an amazingly peaceful community. As for trolls, I can't actually tell if someone is trolling. Most of the time I just assume people are confused, and try to help them in improving their decks and strategies. Either they're just confused and did need the help, or they were trolling and get completely blocked by being too subtle for me to understand.

As for the original topic of the thread, thanks for confirming that throwing matches is bad! All we need now is a statement that stalling is bad too and directions to the report buttons, and we'll be golden!

3. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

I agree with this but i have 0 people on my "Blocked list" - i just write down their name and "give them a second chance" to stop but if they carry on i report them (i have not reported anyone yet - which shows the great community that has created itself here in Cardhunteria) :)

4. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Theres a queue penalty when you throw games early, right?
    I observed a player doing something that seems to aim at bypassing any penalty, and it works if theres one.
    He disconnects round 2, reloads and then say "no" in the reconnect dialogue.
    Then he is back in another ranked match within a minute or two.

5. Dingding123

Dingding123 Orc Soldier

I recommend that ranked play should be its own reward; that players get nothing for playing against eachother except for elo and maybe some attention for good and unique decks. I want to always see competitive play as something that is fueled primarily by its own passion, and not as an obligation to earn in-game prizes.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  6. Jon

You should report this if you think it's a pattern rather than a genuine disconnection problem.

ParodyKnaveBob and Stexe like this.
  7. So, why is "no" even an option?

8. esthkol

esthkol Lizardman Priest

Without the option to say no, it is possible to get stuck in a game-crashing bug loop (disconnect for whatever reason => login => rejoin => crash). I've been caught in that cycle at least once myself in the past. Also, fully permissible ragequits do happen from time to time in the campaign maps (*ahem* Mauve Manticore *ahem*), and just getting a clean start or soothing a bruised ego on some hapless kobolds is preferable to rejoining and promptly resigning.
    Also, I expect it is easier to have one common rejoin tech for all maps, campaign and multiplayer.

9. Jon

Pretty much, yeah.

I mean you can always quit out of a battle anyway.

Stexe and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  10. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

One time I crashed the server when I clicked "yes" when rejoining a casual battle.

11. BlackVoidDeath

I suggest making "no" just resign the game that they would have otherwise played if they had selected "yes"
    - this would prevent the player who disconnected from stalling the other player.

12. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

But thats what is happening. "XY disconnected" and i get the win seconds later, telling me he reloaded and then choose no. My concern is not the player btw, but the throwing loophole.

13. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

That's what should happen, and usually does, but battles can get messed up in really complicated ways.

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  14. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

As a heads up, if I surrender randomly during matches, its because I normally am using my schools computers to play, often times I am switching classes or I get a false alarm that we are switching classes. Other times people play builds that will take me FOREVER to beat and I don't want to waste either players time doing that. I apologise in advance for the inconvinence that it may cause. I am also not a troll, just slightly awkward with people

15. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

That is still technically against the rules. If you're surrendering on purpose when you have a chance you're "throwing games."

16. BlackVoidDeath

But then again if you explain why you are going to "throw the game" in chat, I think most people would not report you after that.

17. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

I'm pretty sure Stexe is only really replying to the part where snicker said, "Other times people play builds that will take me FOREVER to beat and I don't want to waste either players time doing that." Just asking for clarity, were you considering that part when you said telling-why-you-leave-probably-won't-get-reported? (After all, leaving for class is understandable -- except for the fact where snicker really probably shouldn't be playing during class anyway, not even paying attention to when one's ending and another's beginning...)

timeracers likes this.
  18. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Both are unacceptable. Why start a 20 to 40 minute game if you don't have that time to play it? You're ruining the experience for someone else who is most likely looking to play a game. Imagine getting ready for a game, queuing up, waiting for a match to start, getting in a match, and then half way through the enemy times out. Sure, you "won" the match, but that is a crappy experience if you just wanted to play against someone and have a good game. Don't start a match if you don't have the time to finish it.

19. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

Well, if they didn't play a very slow build, the issue wouldn't exist. Thats the most my brain can think of through this headcold, but if I can come up with a better reason later, I will. If you just wanted to play against someone and have a good game, don't play slowly or play very stally/tanky builds. Bob actually has ESP since my teachers forget I exist and I have been known to miss five or six classes because I didn't hear anything through my earbuds. If this comes off as rude/offensive, I have a headcold and just took four allergy pills to make the pressure in my skull go from near exploding to a sledgehammer hitting me behind the eyes.

20. Potatus

Potatus Orc Soldier

Sometimes I time-out because my low-spec:confused: computer crashes is that ok?