Board games!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Megadestructo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Hey, just curious as I'm a giant board-gaming nerd: what are you guys currently playing?

Right now I'm into Lords of Waterdeep, Eclipse, and 7 Wonders. As I've mentioned in my intro thread, I've played a ton of board games and try and stay up on the new hotness when it comes out. That being said I hear Spartacus is amazing and I still need to try out.

Howabout you? My wife has a "one game in for every one that leaves the house" as we no longer have a dining room (just a giant board-gaming room) so I must live vicariously!

dashv520 likes this.
  2. Korisi

Korisi Kobold

I look to my right and see a lot of my collection. I'd say the ones I enjoy the most lately have been Smallworld with expansions, all of the dominions, any Power Grid game or variant (first sparks/factory/etc), Agricola, Ticket to Ride, 7 wonders, Kingsburg. The list goes on and on, but those are some that my group has broken out in the past month or so. Every Friday night is normally game night! :)

3. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

Me and my buddies play Junta, Axis&Allies or the Star Craft Board Game. Not as often as I would wish for, but still. I also have a card game buddy, playing Warhammer Invasion or the Star Wars card game.
    There are a lot of games in my collection, but I rarely have the time to play them, some of them I never even tried out yet :(

4. CletusVanDamme

CletusVanDamme Mushroom Warrior

I haven't found the time to properly settle in and find a gaming group since moving, which means my only board game partner at the moment is the missus. And unfortunately she won't play competitive games with me unless it's a one vs many setup like Descent or Mansions of Madness, and since it's just us those are off the table as well for now!

So yeah, last few weeks we've played some Arkham Horror (and I even broke Elder Sign out the other day for a solo game, even though I have it on iOS (where I think it's actually better than the board game due to the expansions)). We also played through half of the Gears of War: Board Game campaign a couple of weeks ago and a few games of Ghost Stories which we lost, of course. We played some of the DnD Adventure System board games but I find them fundamentally broken and kind of dull so I think they're pretty much on the shelf for good now. If we have an hour to fill we generally turn to the Lord of the Rings Living Card Game, though I'd really like to play some Mage Knight at some point since I've only managed to play it solo so far (it's a bit heavy for the wife) and I'm not much of a solo gamer.

I've really come to appreciate these co-op games over the last few months, but I gotta tell you - I'm itching for something a bit more competitive.

Harandir likes this.
  5. zz_tophat

zz_tophat Kobold

Sisquinanamook and toborprime like this.
  6. Donnola

Donnola Mushroom Warrior

I spent some great time playing Carcassonne (even if it gets too luck-based with more than 3 people and the expansions), i also proudly own Rattus (+pied piper expansion), Citadels and Blood Bowl: Team Manager.
    Also, Bang! and Samurai Sword are really fun if played full-ring.
    I intend to get Lords of Waterdeep sooner or later but i don't have much time to play them :(

7. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

Blood Bowl Team Manager is nice. I also like Arkham Horror and most of the games coming from fantasyflightgames.

8. Kodi

Kodi Orc Soldier

7 wonder is great!

9. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Funniest thing . . . I'd be playing HeroQuest if I had the time . . . I wonder how that relates to Card Hunter . . .

Also Space Hulk.

10. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Hero Quest is so much fun but i have yet to find a complete game

11. Sir Knight

"Complete"? Goodness, people have lost their precious, precious HeroQuest pieces? For shame!

I have the original plus the Kellar's Keep expansion. The only problem is a broken arm on the Chaos Warlock.

12. DenieD

DenieD Mushroom Warrior

Ticket to Ride and Castle Ravenloft for me at the moment... at least until I can find someone who appreciates Munchkin like me :D

13. VexingVision

VexingVision Kobold

I love the occasional game of Chaos In The Old World. Tomorrow, I'll have a lengthy session of Dominant Species, a boardgame where one of the animal kingdom's species strives to dominate the world before the ice age engulfs us all.

It's a brilliant worker-placement game that I dearly love, and which has way too few players.

14. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

Blood Bowl, Blood Bowl: Team Manager, 7 Wonders, Memoir 44, Panzer General: Allied Assault just to name a few...
    I'm an hardcore gamer ;)

15. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I had to sell my copies of Chaos in the Old World (as well as Fury of Dracula) to make room for some other games. It's funny you bring up Castle Ravenloft as one of the main designers is a very good friend of mine.

I do love Betrayal at House on the Hill, though my first "new edition" copy had pieces that warped soon after I punched them out. I did get a replacement set from WoTC but I'm too paranoid to punch them out until we're ready to play at least one game!

I tried to convince my wife let me buy a copy of the new Space Hulk but...it's friggin' gigantic and it's only two player and she'd never play it. Ah well.

16. Sir Knight

I don't know much of anything about "new" Space Hulk. Classic here. You know, the one they're (allegedly) going to make into a videogame (again)?

And the classic version is no more gigantic than, well, any other board game I've ever played. It might have looked funny because of the awesome modular game board. What does the new one do?

17. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

The 3rd edition is pretty huge without the need to splurge on a ton of minis and such. Sadly it was a limited run.

18. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

The last game I played was the Civilization board game, but I'm yet to be convinced it can be played on any kind of reasonable timescale. I doubt I should be expecting that though.

Recently we've played Shadows Over Camelot, Lords of Waterdeep, Evo, and Eclipse. Infiltration and the Game of Thrones LCG as well if you add card games and Dixit if you add... whatever kind of game Dixit is. I've also just got Dungeon Lords but we haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I took the Space Hulk: Death Angel card game on holiday with me last summer which kept a few of us entertained and brought back some good memories of the board game.

19. zz_tophat

zz_tophat Kobold

WoTC had trouble with moisture during the initial print run of Betrayal, leading to the warping; newer tiles do not have the same issue.

20. Robert bird

Robert bird Kobold

Lords of Waterdeep, Ascension, Legendary, Race For The Galaxy, Stone Age those are the most recent. I really like Lords; I think its by far the best of the D&D board games.