what else are you playing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by neoncat, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Last summer I bought the Deadly Rooms of Death series from a Good Old Games sale. It looks like a dungeon crawl, but is actually a pure puzzle game, and absolutely nothing is random. If you like puzzles, if you wish Card Hunter didn't have any dice or shuffling, give the free browser version of the first game a try:
    http://caravelgames.com/Articles/Games_2/FlashDROD/KDDL.html

I played those myself, back when they came out, so I already knew I would like this. I installed the fourth game first because it was a prequel and marked as being the easiest of the series. And it was, since it only took a couple weeks (without any hints) to beat everything except one room of the mastery level. Then came the EttSC/Steam release here, so I put DROD aside for a while.

A couple days ago I decided to finally finish the this game. But I still couldn't beat that room, so I tried a player-made level that shipped with it called "Advanced Techniques" to see if that could show me a strategy I was missing. It didn't, though I learned a lot about game elements that seen yet. So today I finally admitted defeat and went to the forums to get a hint. (And learned that the super secret level needed to be unlocked in completely different place. But that level was easy to clear.) So now I am officially done with that game and can start something new.

Stexe likes this.
  2. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Bought La-Mulana's remake, it's everything I ever wanted. Stylish graphics, challenging bosses, extremely non-linear, and it took an hour to solve a puzzle spanning most of the ruins that I'm still not sure if I had to do anywhere near the time I had to do it, and when finally completed what it unlocked was a zone full of even harder puzzles.

3. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Looks neat, I'll check it out. I'd suggest checking out Desktop Dungeons -- it is a really good game.

Krunail likes this.
  4. Wandere

Wandere Lizardman Priest

Bravely Default (3DS) is my life right now. The most adorable turn-based RPG I've played in a very long time, with a really quirky battle system. It's made me laugh more than I'd care to admit. :D

5. melkor_unlimited

melkor_unlimited Orc Soldier

Steampowered:
    Epic Card Battle
    Battlegrounds of Eldhelm
    The Gate

Other:
    Torchlight
    Baldurs Gate
    Newerwinter Nights
    Icewindale
    Alien Shooter

6. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I've played Epic Card Battle a bit, but now I just log in each day for the free card. The game mechanics are interesting, and give a strong puzzle aspect to the SP campaign (haven't tried PvP yet).

What do you like about Eldhelm? Can you build a strong collection just playing SP? And what's their "unique way" of collecting cards?

7. melkor_unlimited

Guide to Success
    You get card by drawing from shared deck and using them in match.
    After match you can transfer played card to your own deck.

8. melkor_unlimited

I am stuck in campaign somewhere about 10-6. Not able to do every lower for ***. Need more cards and level them up.
    You can (time to time) farm gold from defeated campaigns and replay campaigns.

9. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Stexe likes this.
  10. Stexe

Reminds me of Eversion. That has a ton of praise too but it was <2 hours of gameplay and was super repetitive. How's the gameplay on this?

11. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

That pony game looks quite frightful.

Anyway, I have been witching a lot lately; only 12 more smugglers caches in Skellige left!

Alchemy build 4TW.

12. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Hmm... I don't have any experience about Eversion. I browsed the Wikipedia about it, though it seems it just glorified platformer (changing graphics / atmosphere and maybe different laws / physics, but that's about it. I guess Eversion could get boring / repetitive.

I guess every game becomes repetitive at some point. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion & Fallout 3 got pretty repetitive for me to the point I haven't finished those. I rather read a good fantasy / sci-fi book, than click through dialogues and roam back and forth through the game world.

I'm looking for new experiences. I really liked Papers, Please. I dropped both UnderRail and Child of Light after about 3 hours, because they don't offer anything new, even though Child of Light has pretty neat combat system.

Anyways, back to Pony Island. It has two different games wrapped into the overall story experience. Crude mini platformer and some logic puzzles (a bit like TIS-100, but easier and "friendlier" user-interface).

Stexe likes this.
  13. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I LOVED Child of Light. Learn the timing on the battle system, and you can be unstoppable. Great soundtrack and story as well.

14. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I got sidetracked, only 1-2 hrs in. Fights seemed very manageable so far, would you recommend crankin up the difficulty?

15. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

What, Child of Light? I would go more difficult once the battle system makes sense.

16. melkor_unlimited

Talking about replayable games .... FTL

17. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Eh, I bought Dungeons of the Endless on Steam, and it's recently consumed at least as much time as CH does, if not more. Maybe someday I'll actually know 3 people who play it to try the multiplayer mode, but meh.

18. Stexe

I play it. Managed to get every non-multiplayer achievement (save for opening the 10000 doors or whatever). So I'm pretty good at it. I'd be up for MP on it one of these days.

19. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Pm with your Steam name if you want, and I'll add ya. I know 2 guys who play, too.

20. Stexe

No need to PM. Just add me. Take a guess on what it is.