10 types of players who make it harder to enjoy co-op

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Happenstance, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

You've never heard of a data stream?

FDrybob, Han Lee, Melancthon and 2 others like this.
  2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

monopoly-man.jpg
    Yes, I suppose I'm a fairly average Ch player. I never had a computer in school, but in my FORTRAN course we did have a card punch. We'd write programs, send the carefully ordered cards to the school board, and possibly get the results in about a month.
    But 3 million dollar computers are so passé. I use a 2005 vintage Acer Vista laptop with a sticky keyed compressed keyboard. Such a masterpiece is not readily available to the public at large, but with luck and perseverance, one might be obtained at an erudite and discriminating retail outlet, such as Goodwill.

3. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Unfortunately, I fall into category #2 way too often. I don't want to. I don't co-op very often -- which is both cause and effect, creating a little bit of a Hula Houp's here.

See, I have a good many parties saved for campaign, but they're almost all "my role-playing party," and not "efficient campaign farmers." Also, they're parties of three -- not singletons. Co-op does not make it -especially- easy to nab one of your chars from a saved party and/or build a char in advance who meets the limitations of the adventure. Only within the last month, I believe, have I noticed there's a *separate* co-op save/retrieve set of "parties" (singletons I imagine), and I've yet to try this feature any. So, there's just this big mess of, do I even want to go through the ritual of co-op? ~sigh~ Sure, it might be fun. Gather team. Take 10 mins (using Happenstance's statistic $;^ b heheh) to build a char. Meanwhile, bore teammates and uselessly take their time. $:^ \ Not cool, I know, which is yet one more reason seriously why I just usually chase the Loot Fairy by myself despite the promise of extra rewards.

Thanks for some laughs otherwise in your post, Hap! $¦^ ]
    I do hope this post/thread further actually helps ppl over time, too. $:^ J

4. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

I reckon we're all one or another of the ten types from time to time, Bob, glad I could give you chuckle. I think I wrote it out of frustration when I had a run of bad co-op experiences over Xmas - most of the time, co-op is great fun, especially when I'm not so full of indigestion and bad manners.

As for premade parties, I have separate groups of elves stored for each of the three demon portal levels (usually step fighter + two vamp healers, although I'm going to drop a vamp and introduce a dwarf firestorm wiz, because herding the mobs into firestorm range with the elves is so much damn fun), and 4x two dwarf vamp/healers + one dwarf wiz parties: low, medium, high and caverns. Then I have a few odd groups stored where a different party mix works better: terrain wizzes + support for places like the astral levels, terrain wizzes + nimbus priest for citadel, and a couple of groups where I experiment with dumb builds to keep the game fresh.

FDrybob, 40c_rudy and Sir Veza like this.
  5. melkor_unlimited

melkor_unlimited Orc Soldier

It sounds like Good old times when I was young. Ussually I had to wait for results only a week.

PS: Writen on notebook made in 2006.

PPS: Beware of Shrodinger. Hes alway looking for some brave Cat.

Sir Veza likes this.
  6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No one mentioned lenbear?!

7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Nope.

Happenstance likes this.
  8. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Here's a new one: the person who refuses to play unless you find a third member.

Sir Veza and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  9. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I can respect that, since 2 players greatly diminishes the chances to enjoy exciting mixtures of the original 10 stereotypes. Full co-op experience requires 3 players.

10. I'm surprised the "Must use every single card in my hand" player isn't in the list. Watching people play moves over and over just to use them really wastes time. It's like they don't realise you can actually keep cards in your hand from one turn to another!

11. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Aren't they just unskilled players?

12. hwango

hwango Hydra

It's been a long time since I played co-op, and #7 is the reason. I haven't actually encountered all 10 of those things, so possibly some others are worse, but #7 just kept happening to me. My most vivid memory of this was when was I playing with a pair of people who both hung me out to dry the entire adventure. Occasionally they even did it to each other.

I had to wait through both of their turns while standing next to an enemy while holding a Raging Strike in my hand and ranged enemies were throwing lightning at me. When I complained about this they said that they couldn't read my mind and how did they know what I wanted to do. Seriously? It takes telepathy to figure out I'd like to take my turn and get rid of the card that's getting me killed? Later in the same adventure one guy moved his UNINJURED character away from a GREYED-OUT ENEMY on his turn rather than pass and let the third player move away from an enemy that could (and did) kill him.

I know not everyone is like that, and I had some perfectly delightful games with other players, some of them very new to the game who didn't make all of the best tactical decisions. But when I explained about how passing worked for our side they all got it and we at least played like a team, even if we weren't all on the same skill level. Those two...they just didn't care. It just really ruined the whole experience for me.

Gingrich Yurr and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I agree this is maybe the most difficult type. I find that if I'm in co-op with such a person (I almost exclusively dual co-op), I tend to be ultra-conservative so that if my turn gets skipped by their choosing to play it won't result in any great loss for my character. Or put another way, I let them run out and die and then I proceed to beat the battle solo. ;)