Non-Burst Builds

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by gulo gulo, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Actually, this discussion has inspired me to revive the aforementioned build. I might not follow suit with the whole no-bursts idea, though. I'll still pack 3-6, I guess.

2. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Happy to have you back, Master @Deepweed

3. Uncoordinated

Uncoordinated Kobold

Don't remember who I ran into the other day, but they had an interesting list of three control wizards with gusts/path of knives/acid jet spam. I played terribly but I think it would've worked regardless.

4. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

Sounds like Fry_the_Guy

5. I don´t remember in which map rotation it was, but I had some decent success with a control Elf Wizard with the Path+Winds combo that finished off their opponents by dive-kicking them for 10 with Brutal Charge. If I ever have any success with more than one of them (Or get my 3rd Boots Of Etzikal in the first place), you´ll be the first to know.

In the meantime, maybe tweaking this can net you some results. 3 Humans could have access to more useful Team Move cards and blocks from racials so you might have more luck than I did

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  6. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

For what it's worth, in the three weeks I did not use bursts, I was -200 in elo.
    In the 3 hours at the beginning of the new map rotation, when I used burst again, I was +185.

My current build, which has very little burst, and no fireballs, is relatively net 0 elo.

Moral of the story: your wizard should have as many fireballs as you can place on them, as it is practically impossible to have all three of your characters placed on maps to where they can avoid the fireball and still be effective in fighting the enemy.

TLDR: fireball = $$$$ :(

7. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

The only balanced counter to fireball/radbomb builds seems to be armor and healing, one of which is barely doable and the other which is neigh impossible with just wizards. Other options such as smoke bomb and illusory barrier get destroyed by warriors and their vibrant pain.

Perhaps double shimmering aura on tokenless boots will finally see some use...

Edit: just realized that my post wasnt completely relevent because you're talking about your own use of burst without buffs xD

8. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Honestly, I suppose my problem is with Not-so-Annoying Curse, and not the bursts, because the bursts are not that strong.

Trust me, I know.

40c_rudy likes this.
  9. 40c_rudy

40c_rudy Lizardman Priest

Apart from Fireball, which is ridiculous even unbuffed.

10. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

U forgot diorienting block, it negates fireball and other busrt completly

Han Lee and timeracers like this.
  11. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

In most situations it's pretty hard to remove the wizard's LoS from the square unless the wizard's firing from range 8 or the wizard's around the corner.

12. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

I try it, isn't needed remove it from the LoS, apparently negates if just u move the wizard. But need more test to ser how works. I think just chance hws facing.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Sir Veza likes this.
  13. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

14. Bleneth

Bleneth Kobold

Fireball in the Searing Pain is only three copies?

So, they still have to draw the fireballs? 6 maximum.

Maybe make a better team which is faster to attack! Before they get to draw fireballs. And you need to play carefully against flash of agony!