Aloyzo's Arsenal Official SUBMISSION Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Dieben

Dieben Lizardman Shopkeeper

Thanks everybody for the advice.

I have edited my entry.
    Here's hoping for the best.

Sir Veza likes this.
  2. Dieben

level 21 double major rare staff

So-so for its power, but there are far better options for a double major cold staff at a lower level to boot. The name is overly wordy though, I have no idea what your item would look like from a character standpoint. I'd recommend either changing the name to something like Polar Vortex or contracting it down to just North Pole.

3. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

What do you think about the word weak, Winds of War is greatly overrated, and the Whirlwind is also less preferable over other cards. Here is my proposal:
    Gusts Of War, Gusts Of War, Ice Bolts, Cone Of Cold, Flash Flood, Whirlwind Enemies.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I know this is different but I feel this fits the item name better(Frigid Winds of the North Pole)and is a bit more useful. Cone of Cold might not be as useful but Gusts of War are better then Winds of War and WWE is better then WW.

Han Lee likes this.
  4. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

But that changed staff does next to no damage and has its range all over the place.
    I like the original set of cards, Han, its a thight theme and rivals pearwood staff in its long range functionality.

Han Lee and Sir Veza like this.
  5. hello world

hello world Hydra

If there was a ring of appropriation with gusts oW replaced with winds oW I'd switch one of my rings for it in a heartbeat.(actually I'd switch two, but that is because I'm already using whiterune staff so I have a lot of them already).

range 6 move 3 means that WoW+ TK/GoW= wizard or buff priest separated from his group and very near to your squad if not completely surrounded by your characters.

Han lee's staff looks pretty decent to me, just imagine it, a whiterune staff and 3or 4 rings of appropriation.

After noticing that i needed a cold theme, I decided that I'll probably switch to lava pool/freeze/cone of cold/cone of cold/hot spot /hot spot: cold fusion staff.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

True, but almost all of them also have a positive wizard trait.
    What @Robauke said, but you might shorten the name a bit.

7. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

Like Robauke said, it's mainly for long range functionality and therefore the winds and frost jolt are much better options for that purpose. Gust of wind and cone of cold are great for short range viability and vs multiple targets, but lack premptive measures to ensure your wizard survives. It really depends on your build.

Whirlwind seemed more thematically relevant to the item name, but WWE is definitely better for mp use. Given that this staff is better than pearwood already, I didn't want to make it too powerful. Combine 2x of these staves with path of knives and armor removal and you have a mean killing machine of a control wizard. But I guess WWE isn't too overpowered....

Also, will shorten name as soon as I can xD

8. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

Thinking about it though, gust of war and cone of cold are more in sync with ice bolts. Perhaps I will change it for the sake of tightness :) thanks everyone (especially @timeracers) for the input!

9. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Now I want to see a 'Essence of the Frost Spirit' or 'Novice Cold Elementalism' or similar wizard skill: Slowed, Hover, Cone of Cold. or the like.

Well, would certainly help to have more wizard skills available for use, especially element/path-neutral ones :X

10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

An actual cold damage-boost trait would help offset the encumber nerfs. Using an emerald card that must be retained in hand is pretty weak compared to Spark Generator.

11. Dieben

I opted for a handicap as the trait card since it reduced my entry to a minor token. My reasoning is that there is NOT A SINGLE staff with only cold cards which doesn't require a major token. In fact, there is only one staff without a major token that even has one cold card. In order for my entry to be compatible with most cold builds, I cannot make use of a major token.

Sir Veza likes this.
  12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

That's kind of why I went tokenless with my staff. It isn't just so it can be used in low-level SP, it's for giving 4 cold attacks to pair up with a Supercooled Laser. The two flashes of agony match a third on the pricey staff for a bit of consistency. This leaves 2 major and 4 minor tokens for other goodies at level 18. I considered using a handicap or two to upgrade to Frost Jolt, but decided that seemed a bit too min/max for the contest.

13. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Now that i spotted "illusionary barrier" and its artwork i wonder why noone wnt for a igloo theme yet.

billiska likes this.
  14. Aerendhil

Aerendhil Ogre

I'd replace "Cone of Cold" by "Ice Bolts"
    Otherwise I like it very much

15. Aerendhil

Aerendhil Ogre

Nice idea.
    + "Cone of Cold" works well with "illusionary barrier"

16. billiska

billiska Ogre

I'd recommend everyone to quote the post in submission thread to here for 2 reasons:
    1. It keeps a snapshot of the current version of item which the discussion is about. So not to confuse future reader when the submission is edited.
    2. help the lazy people don't want to go look for 'somewhere in the third page of submission thread'

Stexe likes this.
  17. Alright, I scrapped my old item and made a new one. Again, brutal honesty please: http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/aloyzos-arsenal-5-custom-item-submissions.8443/#post-106916

It's a bit minmaxed in that it's at the absolute maximum level for 2 minors so I can easily tone it down with a Chilling Rime or something if you guys think it's too powerful.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  18. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Seems to be pretty mighty for two minors.
    Spoken in general, desperate block, surging block and normal block seem to be the usual "staff"-blocks. Icy Block fits the theme but didnt appear anywhere else but on shields yet and i keep wondering if it might be a liability to use it on top of cold spells.

19. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

My two coppers: I find the mental image of Santa using laser weapons a bit disturbing, but maybe I'm just old fashioned.
    I usually prefer Pull the Trigger over Push the Button on mage items just for the range, and a cycling trait might be better than Slowed.
    There are a lot of players trying to give Icy Block to wizards. A staff is where it belongs if it happens, but if Jon says "no", it will be a stopper.
    That said, if it makes it into the game I'll definitely want to try it out.

Stexe likes this.
  20. billiska

billiska Ogre

Is the theme, like, 'surprise, surprise you don't know what you will get from this staff'? I think the staff is supposed to be a gift rather than the staff that santa uses. I think the theme should be tighter because it took a while to get. I wonder if there are other cards that would be fitting as a surprise gift?

Stexe likes this.