Aloyzo's Arsenal Official SUBMISSION Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Founder

Founder Hydra

That's quite a jump! It'll play havoc with item levels if it jumps by that amount. I may need to rethink my entry (I just didn't want 3 Cone of Colds :( )

2. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Or we could just limit it to 1 per item in our submissions. I don't think it would be Emerald+. It would probably be Gold+ though.

3. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I have a few different suggestions:
    Still the same sort of stuff but not as much AoE:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Or you could go more Cones but lose the electrical attacks making the staff level 13.5((majortoken)(minortoken))(Or 17.0 with the bump of rating)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Founder

Founder Hydra

I'm keen to keep the synergy of being able to freeze, move and jumpspark enemies as a group, and to maintain the theme of thundersnow.

I'd also like to keep the cold attacks as cones, because they force you to put your mage at the front (not the usual strategy) or to mind where your own characters are. The direct cold attacks are, in my opinion at least, a little too easy to snare enemy characters without forward planning.

It's also worth noting that none of the attacks are by themselves terribly potent and none have the advantages of burst or linear for line of sight.

Force cone is an interesting idea (perhaps in lieu of Blizzard Breath for a 2-2-2 of snow-lightning-wind), but I wonder if that dilutes the 'cold' too much? It is also contrary to the synergy of the staff, in that force cone spreads stuff out rather than brings it closer together. That would be quite a disadvantage on a staff whose main purpose is area control.

I'll keep thinking.

5. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

lol, why do you think it should be gold+(10, A+) instead of emerald+(13, AA+)? I multiplied the 2 damage by the estimated targets(1.6) times the 1.33 because it is high range(not 1 or 2 range) then added 1.7 times the estimated targets(1.6) for the purge effect and finally added the base card(Cone of Cold) for about 13 rating.

billiska likes this.
  6. Founder

Founder Hydra

I wonder how it would be if it were instead:

Snow - Snow - Lightning - Lightning - Wind - Whiteout (Smoke Bomb)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Snow - Snow - Lightning - Lightning - Wind - Blizzard (Whirlwind)

Snow - Snow - Lightning - Lightning - Wind - Smaller Wind (Maze)

Snow - Snow - Lightning - Lightning - Wind - Booming Wind (Force Cone)

Various levels, but all with slightly different effects.

Thoughts?

7. Stexe

I'm not a huge fan of Smoke Bomb, so I'd vote that out. The rest seem fine depending on what you want. Maybe Hurricane or Force Cone in keeping with the "hit multiple target" theme.

8. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

#1: Those chain lightning moves and gusts of war don't like being with smoke bomb
    #2: It works
    #3: Too weak
    #4: Strong
    You could use a Blizzard Breath instead of a Cone of Cold for #3.

9. Founder

Founder Hydra

Those were pretty much my thoughts, and I think I'll go for #2 for thematic reasons above all. I'll stay away from Blizzard Breath, because it's too much of an unknown.

Thanks both!

10. Dieben

Dieben Lizardman Shopkeeper

I decided to keep this entry as my choice, but if someone is struggling for ideas and is comfortable with being a bit out of the box. Hit me up with a message.

11. Any suggestions about mine? It's #3 on page 1. Can't link directly to it on my phone. Brutal honesty is appreciated.

12. Founder

Founder Hydra

Slowed is fine as a drawback, as it doesn't give card cycling (though how much of a drawback is it, really, if you can spend one action removing it and/or Encumber your opponents by more for a longer period?). Icy Block should be fine, because other staves include general blocks with effects.

On the other hand, the proper damaging attacks are all pretty long range (3 at range 8), which is quite powerful (most warriors will be 2 turns' movement from you when you can target them, even without the Encumber, and many wizards won't match that range), and add to that the extra damage by Cooling Laser and the fact that Freeze is high damage for a ranged attack.

Compared to the other 2-major token staves, it may be slightly too powerful. Comparable damage output is available from the Electro-Laser and the Laser Blunderbuss, but both have significantly worse drawbacks (laser spray and mind leak). It's probably most closely comparable with Supercooled Laser, but I still think your submission tops it with Freezing Block.

That's my 2 cents on balance. Others will, I'm sure, disagree.

More importantly is that it doesn't do anything for me. The name is clearly a reference to St Nicholas - is there some way of making it thematically tighter?

13. degensquared

degensquared War Monkey

Hi folks, what are the rules around changing your mind before the deadline?

At any rate, I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on my ideas for submissions this month, and help me tweak if needed / permitted.

First off, the one I've already submitted. I'm worried that immovable isn't found on any arcane skills to date, and that they'd be unlikely to introduce a one-off arcane skill----usually they are organized into tracks. I think it fits the theme but I'm also afraid that the medical use of the word might discourage it's choice...

Advanced Frigidity - Arcane Skill
    Level 15 Rare (minortoken) according to vakaz's spreadsheet
    Immovable - Freeze - Defensiveness
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Next, my other idea that I came up with after submitting the above. I actually like this one better in terms of theme. However, cone of cold isn't on any tokenless item (but I'd be just as happy with it taking a token).

Scintillating Snowcone - Arcane Item
    Level 6 Rare tokenless according to vakaz's
    Cone Of Cold - Chilling Rime - Brain Burn
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Alternative formulations to the above could be:

A: Cone Of Cold - Chilling Rime - Chilling Rime
    or
    B: Chilling Rime - Chilling Rime - Brain Burn

Thanks in advance!

14. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

This, right here. Something referencing the big guy, imo, should have Pull the Trigger (random present!)

15. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I don't find this item very interesting:
    Cooling Laser you can find more on other staves.
    Freeze again you can find more on other staves.
    Cone of Cold you can plenty else where.
    Frost Jolt you can find more on other staves.
    Icy Block is uniquely on this staff but this only has 1.
    I think the Scintillating Snowcone is fine as is.

16. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Flaxative clearly stealthily edited the contest rules, because it says that it's not allowing items that are already in the game. I'll change my submission later, but you can be sure I'll be complaining about this!

17. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

It's okay to edit your entry before the competition ends.

18. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Pssst, @Dieben you're up! Sales pitch!...

19. billiska

billiska Ogre

It's also okay to edit the competition rules before the competition ends, apparently, as gulo gulo pointed out.

20. Stexe

I don't think you'd win anyway. Your submission is clearly poorly designed with a silly name and no thematic reasoning. It is like it was randomly crafted from random cards and just thrown out there. You'd never see anything like that in the actual game.

Jezterscap, gulo gulo and Sir Veza like this.