Aloyzo's Arsenal Official SUBMISSION Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Grumble grumble.

Discussion thread for the contest, no item discussion:
    http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/aloyzos-arsenal-discussion-thread.7746/

Current submission thread usually at top of announcements forum:
    http://forums.cardhunter.com/forums/announcements.9/

Use this thread to discuss current submissions if you must. Note that I, as judge of the contest, will not be reading or moderating this thread. If discussion gets out of hand, use the report tools and someone else on the dev team will resolve the issue.

Go go go.

winner, Macizo, Juxtapostion and 6 others like this.
  2. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

If this is a discussion thread, why is SUBMISSION in all caps, not DISCUSSION?
    STOP MESSING WITH MY MIND, @Flaxative . :'(

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  3. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

LOL he won't read this thread so he won't make the caps change @DunDunDun!

4. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Fixed :p

5. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Yay, logic prevails! Also, I win that we can finally discuss submissions here... if it was a contest or something? Just wonder what finally got Flax to change his mind after he harassed me so long about what I was doing...

Not much to discuss right now, except I had an idea for a non-gold token winter staff themed around Blitz using the purging encumber card. I'll probably re-design that for this contest. Wizards could REALLY use a non-gold token cold staff and an purging tool.

6. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I was just happy I got Freeze on a double minor staff, but I'm interested in seeing your submission as well. Purging is always a nice thing.

winner and Stexe like this.
  7. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

I usually go through a couple item iterations before deciding on an entry. Here was attempt #1 but decided against it due to the non-player cards which fit the theme so well but are pretty much auto-disqualifiers based on past entries I made.

Wildarm
    Staff of Tiamat
    Staff
    Potent Spark, Cone of Cold, Flame Jet, Acid Jet, Noxious Breath, Backfiring Breath

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Settled on this:

http://forums.cardhunter.com/thread...stom-item-submissions.8443/page-2#post-106987

Pretty happy with the design and theme. Goal was to create a useful single minor token staff. Not strongly ice themed but definitely holiday/wintery. Imagine a blue candy cane staff with a crack in it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  8. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

winner, Sir Veza and billiska like this.
  9. billiska

billiska Ogre

Something you could help me with:
    1. According to you, is lime the green and more sour one and lemon the yellow one?
    2. Does creamy part makes sense to you?
    3. I personally think this is usable in MP, but what do you think?
    4. I don't like too many major token either, but is there a way to modify my entry while keeping the theme?
    Also, wth is magic elves doing... is that a joke?

winner and Stexe like this.
  10. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

It certainly looks like a playable item, so i'd say it's a strong submission.

11. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

It's literally playable item, since it's already in the game :p

winner, wavy and timeracers like this.
  12. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

We really need a sarcasm font. ASAP.

winner, Melancthon and Sir Veza like this.
  13. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

I couldn't really come up with a strong icy themed staff design I liked that did not include major token. Most of the time I just wanted to go double gold to get icy bolts or cooling laser in there.

I did consider the following:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tokenless makes it too powerful though.

14. Stexe

15. Stexe

You basically have to include a handicap to make a decently themed cold staff not require a gold token. At least from my experiments trying to make one for the monster contest. There just aren't many cold encumber spells.

Also, note that the submissions just require encumber -- not arcane. Someone could submit some type of encumber weapon or shield or something.

16. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I would go with acid jet to make it better(at least it has some range. The item makes sense to me.

17. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I would go with 3 Cold Snaps, 2 Chilling Rimes, and 1 Brain Burn. There are lots of high damage tokenless staves like sorcerery staff or staff of peril or torching staff and others, but this staff doesn't run the risk the others do and provides an encumber effect.

18. billiska

billiska Ogre

But then it wouldn't be lemon juice (acid) in a cone ;)
    Besides, here are some situations where acid spray is better than acid jet:
    1. you can hit at range 2 in smoke
    2. helps clear smoke in case you decide you need it and gives you vision up to range 3
    3. while harder to hit the target, it's better at covering area with difficult terrain as an obstacle against melee attacker.
    I think about one of my death march league deck while making this item. It's basically buffed cone damage through smoke.

19. Founder

Founder Hydra

Do we think that Blizzard Breath should stay Silver if used on a player item?

It is the same as Cone of Cold, with slightly higher damage (3 compared to 1) and the ability to purge enemy cards from the target. Cone of Cold is Silver.

20. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I'm thinking Emerald+