[Poll] Alozyo's Arsenal November Community Choice

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Nov 2, 2015.

?

Which of the following items belongs in the game?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2015.
  1. Magic Elves's Pressing Problems

28 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Phantom_Sun's Barbaric Helmet

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Brobat's Main Gauche

8 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Lucky Dice's Hu La Houp's Vicious Circle

29 vote(s)
    27.9%
  5. j3st3r's Colichemarde

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. Vakaz's Ranger's Hood

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Vholes's Matador's Cloth

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. Hello World's Bouncer's Gloves

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Hidden Jaguar's Purificator

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  10. Juxtapostion's Master's Rapier

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steinhauser

Steinhauser Lizardman Priest

Alright, but what makes Pressing Problems more of a "must have" than Purificator? What strategies would it stop people from running?

2. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Purificator would be giving up a lot of damage to run it just for buff removal. It is fairly conditional. Pressing Problems is just amazing if you combine it with Bruiser you're doing a ton of damage and have extra blocks that let you get in and/or change the enemy facing -- on a weapon.

timeracers likes this.
  3. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

Yeah, but then you sacrifice mobility. While a new weapon in bashing arsenal is always a cool thing, Lunging Bash seems to be the only bash that's not as awkward to use.

Which is why my vote originally went for something that would open some new ways of playing something we already know, and I voted for Barbaric Helm.

4. Steinhauser

Pressing Problems is also giving up damage. This is two majors we're talking about, trading a potential 58 damage from BJSS, for 24 damage and 2 blocks. The blocks are fantastic and earn their gold quality, but you do give up a lot of reach from step attacks as well as a lot of power. I don't see how PP isn't conditional.

It we're assuming Bruiser is active, Purificator is running a ton of damage too. I was thinking of Crusher, that is a good point then

I still don't follow on the "must have." I will agree PP is the more powerful of the two. Is that the only difference, or is there something fundamental I'm missing?

5. Stexe

Only up front mobility when compared to VP / Bejeweled. You have a lot of mobility once you use attacks / get blocks off. In fact, the mobility is potentially even stronger here, as you can hit and move away or flip the enemy's facing for bigger attacks. It also synergies with Bruiser and Crusher.

Assuming you have Bruiser for Pressing Problems the average damage per damage card on BJSS is 9.667 and on PP is 8. Yes, you're losing damage, but I still think it is very comparable.

6. Steinhauser

But that's 6 vs 4 attack cards on a 6-card item. By the same standard the average damage "per damage card" on blocking mace is 11.3 (w/bruiser). But it's still not comparable with any 6-attack item on damage output. It fits in a completely different strategy.

So again, how is PP a "must have," and/or what strategies does PP push out of the meta or invalidate?

Vholes and Han Lee like this.
  7. Stexe

It isn't a 100% must have. It is just very strong with the ability to get reliable Disorienting Block and a strong attack card (Pressing Bash). Pressing Bash is one of my favorite attacks, combining that with Blind Rage and Bruiser and you're doing 10 damage with a control / disengage ability. Flax showed me the light of Eixocl's Hammer when he talked about it in one of his builds -- and I use it almost all the time now. PP is like an upgraded version of that which I can see being used a lot.

8. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

Pressing problems is essentially a range generator. Would synergize really well with other stabby warriors, stabby vampires, inspire presence, and short range wizards (punishing bolt). Great item design, concept, and pun!

Vicious circle is a gamebreaker for that storge map in The Troll Tyrant. I hate those storges with a passion.

Would vote for both, but as I am primarily an mp player, I would have to go with PP~

timeracers likes this.
  9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The poll closes and the vicious circle wins! Gratz Lucky Dice. I'll work on this stuff this week, and hopefully we'll release it later in November.

Brobat, Maniafig, Stexe and 2 others like this.
  10. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

I kinda wanted to save this post so it would be my 100th, but I couldn't not post, ya know.

Back when I've been on a small forum, only like 14 people or so, writing fan fiction and stuff, we used to put some videos as a soundtrack for our posts. So here ya have it.

Folks, thank you all for that. Not only for this item getting to the game, thanks for making this game such an amazing place, one that makes me want to do more than just play the game. Something I wanted to fulfill since my first AA submission - to be a part of Card Hunter, at least with an item - now all done, I'm really incredibly happy with that. Because, honestly, I've yet to find a place that's more like the virtual home than this one is. It feels like at least part of my heart belongs here, now that I'm playing it, I'm here every single day.

Flax, sorry for all the problems we're causin' ya, but I'll let you know I'm glad you're working with us in the way you are. This contest, MM, your overall activity... Everything you're doing to that game makes it more colorful place than it is. I know you hate us all, but... even if you did, I don't really care. Thanks man, for all that. I think we're thinking in a similar way about the game.

I don't know what to say honestly... Thanks people! This makes my day this brighter! Despite me feeling kinda weird, tired... feeling like crap thanks to all the exams I've yet to pass, some of you voted not only because you wanted to have the item in game, but also because you wanted to give me a piece of happiness. And you know these bits can go a long way.

You know, the first thing I'm doing when I'll get that and the second of these circles? MP build. Take that haters! Hula-hooping warriors are the new future! Screw lasers.

Jarmo, CT5, Brobat and 6 others like this.
  11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Ohp, we gotta pull your item now. Don't you know that Flaxative Aloyzo has very strong opinions about anime?

j/k

Ian, CT5, timeracers and 2 others like this.
  12. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

Soundtrack too emotional for me to not use it. I'll opt for something from Rick and Morty or Professor Layton next time, I promise!

seth arue likes this.
  13. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

At least it's not another item I have to worry about max usable for. So that's nice, I suppose.

Sir Veza likes this.
  14. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Lucky Dice and timeracers like this.
  15. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

28 to 29 votes, wow. I'm less impressed by the turnout (which was still impressive), and more by how evenly the votes were split for the top two contenders.

seth arue likes this.
  16. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Gratz, Lucky! :cool: Great Job!
    And congratulations to everyone who made the short list, as well!
    Um, maybe? I voted for your item, and I'm glad you're happy, but I couldn't do it out of favoritism because I like pretty much everybody here. (Even Stexe, but don't tell him I said so.)
    IMO, you left out the most important part. For me, it's the very personally that brings it all home. None of this slipshod, unthinking, impersonal hatred from Flax. No, sir. Even though he was obviously strapped for time, he put forth the effort to hate each of us on a very personal level. The commitment he displayed made me feel certain I'd really earned it. That's a class act.

Jarmo, CT5, Stexe and 5 others like this.
  17. ElMath

ElMath War Monkey

Congratulation, you design a very attractive item.

18. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

Funny how the poll basically turned into a MP vs SP showdown (though to be honest Pressing Problems seems useful in both modes). I'm not sure I enjoy vote-switching or in-depth reviewing, but that's just me being picky*. GG to all, I look forward to the next AA!

*I secretly wish for secret ballot.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    Flaxative likes this.
  19. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I think Pressing Problems is useful in both modes, and I hope @Magic Elves resubmits it next time Aloyzo crafts weapons. The deciding factor was probably people who play both, but have developed a very personal hatred the invisible freaks in Sky Citadel. I've learned all their names just so I can hate them properly.

Ian, Melancthon, CT5 and 2 others like this.
  20. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Yea, I'll be resubmitting it next time there's an appropriate theme. It's not just that I want to win, but more that I really want to see a better Pressing Bash item in the game, not to mention getting a free copy of what a lot of people are saying will be a powerful epic is also a nice incentive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.