Economy

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Brian Leybourne, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Brian Leybourne

Brian Leybourne Mushroom Warrior

Hi guys,

I was just wondering how "final" is the economy in the game? I like that the prices are fixed, and not level based, but vendors still give too little gold compared to what they charge. We're all used to being screwed by vendors in RPG's (D2 especially used to annoy me - I'm trying to save the world and you're stiffing me on prices?) but they're even nastier in CH.

Most things you can sell give you 1-5 gold, sometimes you get a tiny bit more but not often. Most adventures are say 4 battles, and each battle gives you (usually) 2 items, with 5 for the last battle, so you get something like 11-12 items per adventure, with an average sell price of probably 3-4, or something like 40 gold (give or take, more likely take) on average. But I regularly see things selling for upwards of 400-600 gold in the shops - you would need to complete 15 adventures, selling absolutely everything, to be able to buy a 600 gold - it's never going to happen.

Or do you sometimes find troves of Gold and I've just been unlucky? I sometimes find treasure items, but they're never worth any more than a regular item of the same rarity would be..?

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Unless there's a gold for pizza system coming and these prices are as intended, I guess it can be viewed as min/max gear for future generations of your adventure parties - i e, when building a second one and rerunning et c.

3. Kahar

Kahar Mushroom Warrior

I haven't played yet, but others have said that the prices of items go down as you go up in level. I don't know the numbers, but it sounded like buying even-level items were around the same price as you sell them for. The higher level items are priced much higher to limit extreme jumps in power through shop-purchases.

4. tangmcgame

tangmcgame Mushroom Warrior

There will undoubtedly be a pizza-to-gold conversion. My completely unsubstantiated guess would be something like 50 gold per USD. I'm just thinking a buck per gamble chest.

5. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Several responses.
    Dunno! Let's give 'em tons of feedback and see what happens.
    I recently received 6 from the last battle of a regular adventure. You probably counted that in your average of "5," but I thought I'd mention.
    They are worth twice as much (as of recent builds).

And as Kahar said, the prices go down as you go up in level. It's based on the highest level you've achieved so far, says Jon. As of now, I see these prices:

At or below my level:
    Epic - 500
    Rare - 100
    Uncommon - 25
    Common - 5

Level+1:
    Common - 5

Level+2:
    Common - 10

Level+3:
    Rare - 300
    Uncommon - 75
    Common - 15

It appears that you multiply the base cost by the number of levels it is above you. Thus, level+1 is the first time you can avoid paying extra.

I'm of two minds on the issue. I really like the value of gold. And once I have looted enough that I have a gold stockpile, there needs to be some good place to spend it.

However, given the recent discussion that we're finding lots of legendary items, there's the question of whether anyone would ever pay the 500 gold for an in-store epic item. Does the 500 decrease as you go beyond it in level? I don't know, as the only example I have right now is equal level (I have examples at lower levels for the other rarities listed, and they don't change).

500 is a lot. You'll want such an item someday, and I can imagine it will be MORE common with item levels below you: an item that actually serves your needs and has a lower talent cost? Gimme.

. . . Or I could just wait and pick up my twentieth Club Of Wrath (per here).

Basically, I think some matters of loot rarity could be edited to improve the situation. The player enjoys getting epic and legendary loot infrequently, and that could EITHER be through loot or through making enough money to buy something.

What if the two events (looting and buying) happened with similar frequency? That could happen if, I think, epic and legendary loot (mostly legendary) were more infrequent, while all treasures were more frequent. Perhaps each treasure chest could get a chance to add "+1 treasure" on top of the normal pile.

Just me thinking out loud.

6. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Goblin Champion

I think that values should be randomized every time you log on...

7. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

What amuses me is that I sold a side of bacon for 2 gold and my level 16 one talent required axe is worth only half that.

8. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Everyone knows that bacon is worth is weight in gold. Btw - I'm sad it's not legendary bacon... :(

9. Sir Knight

Yes, yes, bacon.

I'm glad that treasures are more valuable, now. But I'd really like to see if Blue Manchu has statistics on the amount of gold being generated--not to mention used, and used on what.

See, I had the "brilliant" idea of earning gold by doing challenges: higher rarity loot means more money. Great! Except that (as far as I understand) it's only the last chest in the adventure that gets the boost in rarity: up until then, I struggle with a higher chance of dying (for most challenge formats) to get only a normal amount of gold.

The concern here is that, for me, the "25 gold per retry" is my main use of gold. By far. I have to get items to get gold; I have to win to get items; sometimes I just have to purchase a retry to win. And I'm saving my pizza to purchase adventures, not retries.

10. Brian Leybourne

Brian Leybourne Mushroom Warrior

I'm amused to hear that everyone is finding legendaries "a lot". I've never found a legendary OR an Epic item.

But it's good to hear that the prices drop as you level, I hadn't noticed that.

11. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I have to weight in here and say i don't think prices should be as high as they are. I have to sell 25 legendarys to buy a legendary that makes little to no sense. I realize that finding them in shops is supposed to be a big expensive deal but seriously 25 legendarys for 1? I personally would like to see a 5:1 exchange rate on the lower stuff and a 10:1 on epic and legendary so epics would be 200 legendarys would be 1000.

12. tangmcgame

The prices do seem unattainably high right now. Maybe at max level that makes a little more sense, but then only if there's a static store for a few top-end items. Such items could be very long-term goals for players and really drive replayability up. Chase items, if you will. But for your shops with a daily turnover, and especially those shops at lower levels, things do need to be a bit more realistically priced.

13. Sir Knight

Sigh . . . I guess I can understand the prices now. After a few days of playing two or so adventures per day (plus all the level 1 sequence), I dumped the spoils into a store for over 100 gold. That's maybe one or two weeks of CASUAL play before I can afford a 500-gold epic item. People who are obsessive, have the time, and have dozens of levels unlocked, will surely play them all and earn 500 gold per day. Assuming I'm not underestimating a gold value in the thousands.

Given that, I go back to the other side of my suggestion: making epic and legendary items even more rare as loot. Apparently, obsessed gamers will need a money sink, and it would only help if they were encouraged to snap up epic and legendary items that appear in stores.

14. tangmcgame

That's a little reductive. Store-bought items are another avenue of progression. It's also a way of ensuring progression even if someone is routinely disappointed by the RNG. Ultimately, it's a method they could easily use to bump up player retention.

15. Sir Knight

I think I understand what you said, but I don't see a "correction" to what I said. Were you simply elaborating? Do you have an alternate suggestion?

16. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

This probably doesn't fit this game but what about lowering the prices but adding a inflation decay system to the game?

17. tangmcgame

I think maybe I misinterpreted your tone is all. Apologies for that.

18. Sir Knight

For the sake of information, let me report now that I've finally seen a Legendary in a store. Buying prices in gold work as follows. If an item's level is at or below the highest level your characters have achieved, it costs a base price:

Legendary - 2500
    Epic - 500
    Rare - 100
    Uncommon - 25
    Common - 5

For an item above you, multiply the base price by the number of levels in difference. Level+1 costs the base price, level+2 costs twice as much, and so on.

In case anyone's forgotten, selling prices work like this:

Legendary - 100
    Epic - 20
    Rare - 5
    Uncommon - 2
    Common - 1

Level does not matter. Double these prices if you are selling a Treasure item, with two exceptions: Uncommon and Epic Treasure is worth 5 and 50, respectively, not 4 and 40.

Edit: Long after I posted this, Treasure prices were changed dramatically. The more-rare Treasures now sell for quite a lot.

19. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

As i have said before i really wish they would lower the prices of epics and especially legendary having to sell 13 legendary treasures to buy one legendary weapon makes no sense. To make this post less meaningless I'll also point out that the stats posted above are correct not that there ever was any doubt.