QD has got to change.

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by richard edwards, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I disagree with your premise.
    Card Hunter is all about randomness. There are a few guaranteed drops in the campaign to alleviate some of this, and ensure a player has at least a minor means of dealing with what lies ahead. Starter parties provide playable, though not particularly strong, equipment to provide a starting point. Other than that, all players are at the mercy of the RNG. All other items in drops and shops are randomly determined.
    QD carries this a step further. The fairness lies in both players being subject to the same RNG. That is also where it ends. Consider the race/class combos as random cards as well. A skillful player will usually beat a less skilled one if the cards are anywhere near equal. A greater skill difference can offset a greater card difference, but as in all card games, it should be possible to be dealt an unwinnable hand. QD is random enough that it is confined to leagues and not part of ranked play.
    In truly random card games, there should always be rare instances where one player literally has zero chance of winning.

2. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

And this is why the human ego has trouble accepting its lack of control over events beyond its control. :)

3. Fry

Fry Ogre

When I had Flash Flood in my Golden Shrine QD picks, I lost more than I won. :/

I also had one game where I had two Wizards offered Teleport Self, and didn't draw it until Turn 3. (Still won though, because my Warrior had Sprint Team, hue hue hue)

QD is way more interesting to me than awful fixed-deck leagues like Oozeball or Geomancy.

4. haho

haho Orc Soldier

oh god. this. i've tried it a few times, but almost die of sheer boredom waiting for 1 card draw per side. it takes like 10 minutes just for all the cards to be drawn.

5. ClanCrusher

ClanCrusher Hydra

I think something like a fifteen second timer for each card pick would be nice, at which point the game would automatically pick for you. The problem I have with that is that sometimes I was waiting upwards of about five or six minutes for a game and naturally would tab out to other things, only to notice about forty seconds later that the game had started.

However, I think this is ultimately a nitpick. Both sides still only have 20 minutes to play a game and your clock runs down the longer you take to pick your card. I've rarely had a QD game last longer than a normal match and most times they're much faster.

Flaxative likes this.
  6. hello world

hello world Hydra

I found a little annoying how 2 "special" QD maps like chess and shrine where all the options that were offered.

7. Vholes

Vholes Thaumaturge

"I lost Quick Draw because I had to pee."

Sir Veza likes this.
  8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

What? No catheter? I thought you were a hardcore gamer! :eek:

Fifjunior7, Wandere, Vholes and 2 others like this.
  9. slowreflex

slowreflex Goblin Champion

Leagues are optional. Not all leagues are Quick Draw. Not all Quick Draw leagues are this map. You can enter a league, not play, and still get fancy loot. The rest of the game is still open when leagues are running.

Accent, timeracers and Flaxative like this.
  10. Xayrn

Xayrn Hydra

Leagues are optional; the rest of the game is still open.
    Multiplayer is optional; the campaign is still open.
    Card Hunter is optional; other games are still open.

Should the devs go through the trouble of modifying Quick Draw rules for specific maps? Probably not, but it's because a better approach would be to not include such strategically restrictive maps in the first place, not because we can all just go play something else.

11. slowreflex

slowreflex Goblin Champion

My point is that I don't think that all leagues should be desirable for all players. I think it's good to have a mixture of types that may appeal or not appeal to players. As long as there is enough that it appeals to to be able to play enough matches to complete your pod games, it's fine. I'm sure the devs monitor participation and such and will tweak leagues that this becomes an issue on.

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

No matter the map, it still works as a discount chest shop. :)
    That said, Jon has added new QD maps, so perhaps those with the lowest play will be rotated out.

timeracers likes this.