QD has got to change.

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by richard edwards, Sep 23, 2015.

1. richard edwards

richard edwards Mushroom Warrior

This just happened... 2 floods and a self teleport against my 3 warriors. Was I given a teleport or a flight aura? Of course not. Needless to say, I resigned immediately after taking the photo.

Devs need to address this issue. There should never be an instance where one player literally has zero chance of winning.

Attached Files:

• ch2.jpg
      ch2.jpg
      File size:
      957.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Wocket

Wocket Orc Soldier

Umm... That's Quick Draw?

Seriously though, if anything, you should register your complaint about the map, not the"RNG". Quick Draw is a blast and is working exactly as intended. Golden Shrine however appears to be a troll map (however, if we accept this hypothesis, it is also working exactly as intended).

3. richard edwards

I highly doubt these kind of match ups were ever intended. You are a troll.

4. Wocket

Wocket Orc Soldier

Anybody who has played more than approximately two matches in this QD league has almost surely lost to Flash Flood. It's not a rocket science tactic.

Is it frustrating? Of course. Is it broken? In game balance terms, probably. Should they revamp QD so it can't happen? IMO, no.

Should they perhaps not have QD on this map again? Definitely arguable.

Wandere and Christofff like this.
  5. richard edwards

The map is great! There just needs to be some axioms attached to character and card draws. For instance, with shrine, no all wiz teams, never more than one flood. Not that hard to fix.

6. Wocket

Wocket Orc Soldier

Who decides what these limitations should be? Is three warriors okay in Chess? Wizards are pretty tough there, IMO.

7. richard edwards

I am sure a couple well thought out limitations would add to any map. Sheer chance makes far too many games one sided.

8. Vholes

Vholes Thaumaturge

The dev team is too tiny to test special rules for every scenario, and too smart to choose them by gut instinct. The good news is, you get a great reward no matter what, you can jump back into another game right away, and the maps will rotate. On the Second Life — Dark Souls frustration meter, this is a solid... Super Mario? Help, I'm being strangled by a metaphor.

9. richard edwards

BS and you know it. Start a game that is an auto loss? Dark Souls is always beatable. No good metaphor, because it is trash. And how much testing would be needed to make sure someone can't draw a very specific set of auto win cards... 30 seconds of thought?

10. Vholes

Vholes Thaumaturge

Flash Flood

Uncouth words rise from the game design armchair. Wait, I know just how to protect myself.

Flash Flood

ParodyKnaveBob and CT5 like this.
  11. richard edwards

Much better! :D

12. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

You make a good point Richard. There is another map where teleport self was pretty bonkers in QD- that recent cyberspace themed one (host?). I never lost a game when I drew it on my elf or human wiz.

The additional combination of Teleport Self AND Flash Flood to camp victory square with wizards is pretty frustrating on this map, and I agree with you totally, situations like this, though rare (opponent gets teleport self / flight aura and flash like while you get no flight aura or no priests /wiz with terrain counters), should never arise. Thanks for taking screenshot.

Although its rare I'd appreicate the kindly thoughts of a dev on this type of unbeatable event anomalies (UEA for short?) occurring in-game.

Edit- btw I can understand you we're frustrated when writing this but just be wary of posting misleading titles for your posts.

13. richard edwards

It is not misleading, and this is only one instance. Had it happen twice in the same league. Second time wasn't auto win, but nearly. 2 wiz with one flash flood and self teleport. I happened to get a flight aura on a warrior, but didn't draw it until turn 2, so the wizard was already on the vp waiting for the flash flood. Regardless, it is not like this is an isolated event. It happens FAR too often.

14. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

It's possible that Golden Shrine isn't a great fit for quick draw.

15. ClanCrusher

ClanCrusher Hydra

Um...yeah. It really isn't. The only worse map I could think of to run Quick Draw on would be Wicked Waterways or Death March. A player could reasonably counter-play expected strategies (Flash Flood, Teleports) on a place like Golden Shrine with a constructed deck but you just don't have that option in Quick Draw.

As an aside, I don't think there's any real problem with Quick Draw right now. Just in one of my last leagues (Chess Madness), I played 13 matches and only lost three of them, so I'd definitely argue that there's more ability than luck involved. I've certainly been in plenty of absolutely broken matches (Elven Insight against an entire non-elf party), but those were the exception, not the rule.

Wandere likes this.
  16. Vholes

Vholes Thaumaturge

I'm like, 2-4 in Chess Madness, so I'd argue there's more luck than ability.

>___>

<___<

17. Dwedit

Dwedit Goblin Champion

How about quick draw triple duel?

18. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

I love QD. If I get a completely unfair matchup, I resign. Terrain blocking against all warriors or priests who get zero cleansing choices in Shrine? Resign. Triple wizard against anything other than dwarven melee teams in Chess? Resign. No harm, no foul. I used to try and play through, especially against newer players who may not use their cards to full effect, but these completely unbalanced match-ups seem to have a 5-10% win rate even then.

What's the point of getting mad about it? It swings both ways. A couple of days ago, I had a mage with five long range attacks (three burst including fireball) and a couple of traits + savage curse + two priests feeding five cards into her every two rounds via double demonic power and an inspiration. Most of the time, though, QD is fairly balanced in composition, and it comes down to your ability to balance card choices.

timeracers and Vholes like this.
  19. SirSrsly

SirSrsly Lizardman Priest

Worst thing about quickdraw is how long in takes to draft cards. Would it be possible to somehow speed it up?

haho, Xayrn and PurpleRed like this.
  20. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Simultaneous drafting with a time limit (210 seconds = 10 seconds per card?).

Please?

5llyFcA.gif

billiska and Wandere like this.