powerful sword or double-edged sword?

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Byungmo, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Byungmo

Byungmo Kobold

Powerful Sword
    total dmg: 48
    3 strong melee + 3 so-so range

or

Double-edged Sword
    total dmg: 38 (penalty -3 dmg)
    3 strong range + 2 double-step + 1 trash

which one do you prefer?
    or is there a better flexible weapon except for two major tokens?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  2. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Double-edged Sword wins that matchup hands down. That penetrating keyword on Impaling Stab can be crucial against certain builds and Dancing Cut adds mobility.

IMHO Double-edged Sword is the most flexible (majortoken)(minortoken) weapon. Slice And Dice has quite nice array of attacks too and some swear by The Lunginator.

Other noteworthy (majortoken)(minortoken) weapons:

Han Lee, Sir Veza, Maniafig and 3 others like this.
  3. doog37

doog37 Hydra

The Double-Edged gets the edge by the fact that it extends the range of the warrior in a way no other weapon does at it's token level.
    The P-sword is a good weapon but is sort of the par level item for 1B1Y weapons.
    All of the above are noteworthy for the reasons give although I would point out that Riptide has the best tech of any weapon (sundering, unnerving and pressing bash) the trait attack is dangerous both for you and opponents.
    Except for the Blocking Mace, P-Sword and Double edge all of the above are Epic or Legendary with the Riptide available as a treasure hunt, so it is easier to get.
    If you have a White Katana it can be good but I hate having ouch on a high level item. The Bludgenator and Hackmaster are pure max damage but no steps or range or tech. Spear of dancing has almost no damage and crazy sal's is a very specific item.
    I haven't tried the Slice and Dice but seems a nice mix for the cost.
    Movement is so valuable so it is hard to not have step moves one at least 1 weapon.

Jezterscap and Flaxative like this.
  4. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

I think the (majortoken)(minortoken) are good covered here.

For (majortoken)(majortoken) I like:

Bejeweled Shortsword (great dmg and also step attacks. very very solid weapon)
    Bloodchopper (Great dmg if you have possibilities to freely choose positioning like with the next weapon. Some of the high elo players swear on it.)
    Vibrant Pain (The positioning and the great mobility are the reasons to run this. Beside this it is mostly unblockable dmg, beside Defender's Block and Cause Fumble)
    Cat'Leth (Some high level players love this weapon, but I never really liked it. It has to be said, it has just great cards on it, but not that many moves)
    Nova Axe (If you are looking for good moves, this is the weapon to look for. The violent spin is great for grabbing vps and push opponents aside. The Laser Thrust is the best step attack, but I dont like to go in with a gold attack firstly.)
    Starknife (I am not sure, what to think of this weapon. As said I dont like Laser Thrust that much. Flaring Laser and Penetrating Cut are just meh. But Laser Block is just great.)
    Shieldripper (Some players like this weapon. My problem with it is, that it is not that great against parry, has no step attacks and does not do that much damage.)

5. Nova Axe is also the only warrior weapon to feature two copies of Purging Strike; of the three with a single copy, they also all cost double major. Handy to have when a force-fielded martyr's-blessed elf cautiously maneuvers into your face.

Wouldn't run two Nova Axes on the same warrior, but BJSS + Nova Axe + Strongarm seems rather decent.

6. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Yeah, I tried dual Novas and a Manhunter in Chess (a 1/1/1 so I needed the extra cheap parries on the tank), and you only have 7 attacks in your deck that really hurt an opponent. Bejewelled bumps that up to 10.

A niche (majortoken)(minortoken) is Flashing Longspear. I've run triple FLs in Death March and relied on the wiz for loss of step movement. That's fifteen penetrating attacks and an almost always-on Blind Rage, plus a spare gold token for armour or the cheeky Nandos of blocks, Duck.

7. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I have tried using Flashing so many times but every time I wind up swapping out for the Double Edged Sword. I like the Blind Rage but i can come at the wrong time and the Penetrating Strikes are just weak. I know the Backbiting well bites but having 3 good range 2 attacks AND 2 step 2 attacks is just sweet. I've been considering trying the Tango Spear but the higher cost is rough. Maybe 1 Tango and 1 Double edge 1 Flashing and as many Flanking moves as possible.

8. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Yeah, it only really works in Death March, where people stick silly amounts of armour on their front row tank and movement doesn't matter as much (bearing in mind I like to play a lot of force cone on the mage for VP control). I'll definitely be trying it again. DES is superior on most other maps, but FL trumps it on Death March.

doog37 likes this.
  9. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader